Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I've joined a Christian guild, and I'm doing an experiment. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Eaten By Cheese

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:20 pm
SaintChaos: I think it's awesome that you joined this guild! You're the only Christian I've seen--the only theist, in fact--that actually took the time to try to see from atheists' points of view by joining this guild!

Yeah, everybody in the guild's cool! I'll let you know, and thanks a lot! ^__^

Oh, you know what! It IS in one of the guilds you're in!

Caustic: Yeps! mrgreen I'll put a link in. mrgreen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:29 pm
One thing I think would be interesting to see is how much taste in films and games differs if religion is a factor. I don't know if it's all The Passion and Left Behind, but I would expect certain titles to be excluded, like The Omen and Doom (the game, dammit). But then again, you never know.  

ProjectOmicron88

FlowerOfLife

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:45 pm
My personal misconception about atheists is that they're all trying to ram their views down my throat even though I've never shoved my views up their a**. I've seen more atheists trying to convert me than I have in my conservative community, so my view of atheists is a bit smudged. I know they're not all like that.

(I grew up in a Catholic schooling system, so I basically had to do a lot of my own research and soul-searching to find the information about a lot of things I know, and a lot of what I have become. I still believe in a higher power, but I like how atheists can back their claims with more than just a book that farmers/preachers/shepherds/historians wrote)  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:29 pm
ProjectOmicron88
One thing I think would be interesting to see is how much taste in films and games differs if religion is a factor. I don't know if it's all The Passion and Left Behind, but I would expect certain titles to be excluded, like The Omen and Doom (the game, dammit). But then again, you never know.

from the way i see it, as long as it doesn't "cause your foot to stumble" it should be completely fine no matter what it is....also as long as it doesn't deal with demonic influences such as ouija boards (personal christian belief, i know there isn't proof that ouija boards open portals for demons.)

omg Doom? THAT IS THE GREATEST GAME EVER! xD I'm such a huge gamer. However I know you'll come across people who will say things like Harry Potter is a sin to read or whatever crap. Not true. If it doesn't cause you to stumble than its okay.

I also have enough sense to know the difference between reality and some simple video game. playing video games isn't a sin lol  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:30 pm
Eaten By Cheese
SaintChaos: I think it's awesome that you joined this guild! You're the only Christian I've seen--the only theist, in fact--that actually took the time to try to see from atheists' points of view by joining this guild!

man thats sad to hear, but im glad im to be the FIRST! HAHA sucka bitches....er i mean *coughs* ah very very nice. ty biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:38 pm
okay in the thread Cheese posted in my guild, one of the Christians in there was posting comments such as these and i want to know you guy's personal opinions of what you think of my responses to his comments regarding atheists. i hope i did a fairly good job because i didn't agree with him and i thought i should say something. ^^; did i do good?

Quote:
The Noble Protoman.exe

The thing is, you can argue 'till you're blue in the face. It proves nothing. Faith is faith, and if he is who you say he is, then he is stubborn in his faith.

You see, atheists have a more blind faith than Christians. While Christians have a purpose and a guideline for living, atheists do not. Look at atheism. God is man. Man is god. Man can't control the universe, but we must learn to understand it. Future generations must understand it more. And so on. Atheists have to prove their point by detesting a God in various attacks that aren't even factual. Yet, no matter how many facts you throw at them, they won't budge. The best attack on an atheist is, "If there is no God, there's no need for morality, right? So how do we judge a right and wrong? If there is no right and wrong, why do we search for it?" and things of that nature.
Atheism is a giant circle of knowledge. The problem with atheism is what it even claims itself. We are in an infinite universe, and our purpose here is to understand it. Until we can understand infinity, we cannot understand the universe.
While Christianity has one need for an answer. And it's two words. "God is." That's all you need in an argument. All you'll ever need. Why? Because they cannot argue the point. Period. They'll try to attack His nature with "witty" things such as "If God were real, then why are there so many deaths and sicknesses in the world?" and of course the answer is "God is." It can't be argued. Period. There is no argument to bring him to Christianity.
In closing, if your friend's world falls apart, my brother, he'll be faced with a choice. Either to let his faith go and find a new truth or to cling to his truth and hope that "nothingness" ends very soon... God bless... Have a good day...

SaintChaos
from what i've learned they argue against the idea of an ultimate being because there is no proof of one. they go by science and science DOES have evidence....up to a point. their faith isn't blind because most of science is what you can see in front of you. tree's....living organisms.....its there....while you compare it with god....an ultimate being who you can't see here feel touch smell.

it would be correct to say that WE go to god by complete BLIND faith. blind in the fact that, we believe in something with absolutely no evidence. to be honest, what they believe is more "logical" and "legitimate" compared to how we believe in things by pure faith.

they're quite rational and seem to be more sane than most radical Christians out there that take their faith way too far and beyond what it really is. i mean just look at the age of burning witches....completely ludicrous. i don't ever remember atheists ever doing such things in the name of a religion.

and you're absolutely wrong.....they DO have a purpose and guideline for living, its just different than ours. and actually its everything ive been saying so far, they go by logic mainly and we go by blind faith mainly.

and for them to argue about why god "allows" suffering ect ect is completely legitimate. and they're not the only ones. there are Christians who have argued the same idea as well, wondering why they are believing in a god that allows suffering to happen in the world.

The Noble Protoman.exe

Yet, no matter how many facts you throw at them, they won't budge.

SaintChaos
wrong here too. throw facts? THERE IS NO FACTS TO THROW! you can't prove god exist so what facts is there? NONE. you can't prove god with science so OF COURSE they're not going to budge unless you can prove it. the only other reverse psychological argument i like to use is that "you can't prove he exists ,but you can't prove he doesn't either" but that in itself has a flaw too.

The Noble Protoman.exe

The best attack on an atheist is, "If there is no God, there's no need for morality, right? So how do we judge a right and wrong? If there is no right and wrong, why do we search for it?" and things of that nature.

SaintChaos
you've GOT to be kidding me.....there are thousands of people that don't believe in god and yet they've manage to come up with VERY SIMILAR teachings of the bible. many religions that although don't believe in god, also believe in "being treated as you would treat yourself" "not to murder" "not to steal" simple things

in logical terms i think even without god, mankind would for (the most part) come up with some pretty decent rules for society that would keep order. i mean just look at all the idealists out there. most of which come up with these rules of morality for the public.

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:00 pm
SaintChaos
ProjectOmicron88

from the way i see it, as long as it doesn't "cause your foot to stumble" it should be completely fine no matter what it is....also as long as it doesn't deal with demonic influences such as ouija boards (personal christian belief, i know there isn't proof that ouija boards open portals for demons.)

omg Doom? THAT IS THE GREATEST GAME EVER! xD I'm such a huge gamer. However I know you'll come across people who will say things like Harry Potter is a sin to read or whatever crap. Not true. If it doesn't cause you to stumble than its okay.

I also have enough sense to know the difference between reality and some simple video game. playing video games isn't a sin lol

I don't know why people got so worked up over Doom. If you're killing demons, aren't you doing God's work either way? razz  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:14 pm
SaintChaos
Eaten By Cheese

man thats sad to hear, but im glad im to be the FIRST! HAHA sucka bitches....er i mean *coughs* ah very very nice. ty biggrin

You are not the first at all actually, but obviously you are still one of a few. ^^
And I'd say your comments you posted to Protoman in the other guild were quite good. :0
Quite contrary to what he thinks, we would love for someone to throw actual facts at us rather than whatever it is he likes to call facts. xP

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:06 pm
ProjectOmicron88
SaintChaos
ProjectOmicron88

I don't know why people got so worked up over Doom. If you're killing demons, aren't you doing God's work either way? razz

ROFL COPTER ch ch ch ch lol that is the best point made ive seen for the game doom.

what they have against it mainly goes in part with the students who shot everyone at columbine because they happened to mention the game doom and how it relates to how they were going to kill everyone or something like that.

yeah...blame the game.....that'll solve everything.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:11 pm
caustic 0_0
SaintChaos
Eaten By Cheese

You are not the first at all actually, but obviously you are still one of a few. ^^
And I'd say your comments you posted to Protoman in the other guild were quite good. :0
Quite contrary to what he thinks, we would love for someone to throw actual facts at us rather than whatever it is he likes to call facts. xP

exactly. and im glad i did some justice for you guys lol ^^;  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:21 pm
To anyone looking for harsh questions to God from a believer, I recommend you read Viktor E. Frankl's "Man's search for meaning." This guy was brilliant and so rigorous in his translation of philosophical questions into psychological theories that the third school of psychology was founded in his name (preceded by Freudian and Jungian).  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:39 pm
SaintChaos
ProjectOmicron88
SaintChaos
ProjectOmicron88

ROFL COPTER ch ch ch ch lol that is the best point made ive seen for the game doom.

what they have against it mainly goes in part with the students who shot everyone at columbine because they happened to mention the game doom and how it relates to how they were going to kill everyone or something like that.

yeah...blame the game.....that'll solve everything.

And actually, Eric Harris made some custom maps for Doom...none of which resembled the school in any way. The man responsible for outright lies against video games is Jack Thompson, an attorney who probably should not be practicing law. At all. He's had more cases thrown out of court than a butcher has had food thrown out of a vegetarian cafe.  

ProjectOmicron88

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:41 pm
Well, I guess I'm joining this guild myself, but I wanted to ask your opinion on this. Do you think it would be a good, sincere gesture if I changed my signature? Ordinarily, I wouldn't care much what people thought of it, but at the risk of offending people, I'd rather not give a distinctly negative impression.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:37 pm
I never would change a thing about myself or my presentation when it comes to online activities. Compromising your online persona seems like a self-denigrating choice.

But I don't think you were asking me. XD  

Theophrastus

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:46 am
Theophrastus
I never would change a thing about myself or my presentation when it comes to online activities. Compromising your online persona seems like a self-denigrating choice.

I suppose so, yeah.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces