Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

alicelights

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:08 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:10 pm
Kamikaze Pedestrian
The women! Some of this is farfetched, I know. sweatdrop

Blanche ? French, meaning ?white?. Snow white is called ?Blanche neige ? in French. Quite obvious.

Friedrike (Briar Rose) ? A german name. I found a funny thing; there is a disease called Friedrichs ataxi which attacks the central nervous system. The first symptoms appear while the diseased is very young and will in time make the person completely paralysed. The brain, however is unaffected. Since Friedrike is the feminine form Friedrich? Could this be where yuki got it from?

Lisette (Little red riding hood) ? French, from Elisabeth. In the 13.th century there lived an Hungarian princess called Elisabeth, who became the saint of charity. You could call lisettes giving food to her diseased grandmother charity, which might give her name an explanation.

Dorothea ? No idea. It?s more a scandinavian name than a german and it means ?gift from god?. Well, at least Ludwig seems to think her breasts are a wonderful gift.

Wow, that idea you come up with for 'Friedrichs Ataxi' is really good. eek  

alicelights

alicelights

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:21 pm
The french translation of 'Earl(count) Cain' uses the name 'Maryweather'.

I think that the english version does to, but I'm not sure. I can understand that the religious connection is more obvious if the name 'mary' is used. Though it's quite a rare name.

I've seen the name 'Merryweather' a lot more in Victorian literiture. Eg: 'Mr Merryweather' from Sir Arther Conan Doyle's 'The Red-headed league' (Sherlock Holmes story). There have been more, but I've forgotten right now.

As I cannot translate from the Japanese manga I have. I am not sure which name is intended, though for sure I like the 'merry' sound better (it also mirrors the girls personality razz ) Chances are the manga does not make it clear. The radio drama had the Japanese accent to the name so it's not clear which name it is.

so, let me ask, which name do you prefer?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:25 pm
I wondered if 'Oscar' (Earl Cain) came from the latter-19th-centuary Irish playwrite and novelist Oscar Wilde. Both were 'big' types, cheerfull and liked young pretty *men* and (white text this way) they both got married.

Strangely enough the character 'Cassandra' (weirdly, a man) from the latter half of the Cain manga looks errily like Oscar Wilde.  

alicelights

Kamikaze Pedestrian
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:21 am
alicelights

I think that the english version does to, but I'm not sure. I can understand that the religious connection is more obvious if the name 'mary' is used. Though it's quite a rare name.

I've seen the name 'Merryweather' a lot more in Victorian literiture. Eg: 'Mr Merryweather' from Sir Arther Conan Doyle's 'The Red-headed league' (Sherlock Holmes story). There have been more, but I've forgotten right now.

As I cannot translate from the Japanese manga I have. I am not sure which name is intended, though for sure I like the 'merry' sound better (it also mirrors the girls personality razz ) Chances are the manga does not make it clear. The radio drama had the Japanese accent to the name so it's not clear which name it is.

Merryweather! Like you say, it suits her and since she wasn't raised as a rich bourgeois girl the name sounds more "peasanty" as a forename.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:54 am
alicelights

I prefer Merryweather overwhelmingly over Mary Weather.
For one if it was Mary then the katakana would read "Me-ari" and it doesnt, its just plain old "Me-rii".

Also, Merryweather's full name is Merryweather Hargreaves because she a blood relation with Cain.
Mary Weather seems like both her first name and her surname...  

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

alicelights

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:54 am
Sai-kun
alicelights

For one if it was Mary then the katakana would read "Me-ari" and it doesnt, its just plain old "Me-rii".

Also, Merryweather's full name is Merryweather Hargreaves because she a blood relation with Cain.

Oh, thanks for telling me which the katakana was ^^  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:16 pm
Sai-kun
alicelights

I have to agree... gonk  

dead.moki

MizerableAngel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:00 pm
Um... Well, in the last issue of Shojo Beat (volume 6, December 2005) they included the name origins of Jezebel Disreali. I know it was already discussed, but I thought I'd just mention it. Oh, and how does everyone else write Disreali's name: Jezebel or Jizabel? It annoys me how Viz made it with an "i", I like Sakura Crisis' translation a lot better. Plus, one of my favorite bands is called Gene Loves Jezebel...So yeah...^^  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:31 pm
Its supposed to be Jezebel, but there isnt a simple way to write the "Je" sound in japanese...so I suppose "Ji" may have been used and Viz took it literally.  

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Katinchen012

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:50 am
I'm pretty sure it's "Jezebel".
Phew, the translations of our manga aren't perfect, but at least most of the names sound acceptable...  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:29 pm
To Sai-kun: Oh! You're right. I completely forgot about how the Japanese would translate the name. sweatdrop You are right "je", wouldn't be simple to express in Japanese. Maybe I can get my Japanese teacher to write Jezebel in katakana to see how they'd write it. ^^

To Katinchen012: Yeah, could you imagine them screwing up all the names as bad as they do on 4Kids? I think I'd cry... cry

MizerableAngel

Katinchen012

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:24 am
MizerableAngel
To Katinchen012: Yeah, could you imagine them screwing up all the names as bad as they do on 4Kids? I think I'd cry... cry

X________x I don't want to imagine this! Luckily we don't have any 4kids anime here. RTL2, our main anime broadcaster, cuts like mad, but at least they don't change the character's names.
And changing names in manga would be... horrible. Absolutely horrible.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:52 am
The issue with names and the such is why I will never buy a English translation of either 'Earl Cain' or 'God Child'. After all, I've already got it in Japanese, only an exeptional translation would tempt me.  

alicelights

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:14 am
Katinchen012
MizerableAngel

X________x I don't want to imagine this! Luckily we don't have any 4kids anime here. RTL2, our main anime broadcaster, cuts like mad, but at least they don't change the character's names.
And changing names in manga would be... horrible. Absolutely horrible.

I think ive said this before, but it seems with a lot of anime and manga translations, the translators know nothing about the series.
It seems professional translators were hired, the Japanese script handed to them and they went to work for their pay check.

Why dont they at the very least do a little research into the series before hand?
Ask some fans, then theyd get petty things like names right...  
Gothic Fairyland - the official Kaori Yuki guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff