Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Flattering quotes from the far right Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:54 am
Soy un hombre muy honrado,
que me gusta lo mejor
Without Christianity we wouldn't have the Three Musketeers, as the main antagonist is Cardinal Richelieu!
Las mujeres no me faltan,
ni el dinero ni el amor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:41 am
Sanguvixen
ProjectOmicron88
Science is make-believe. It just makes sense. Science has accomplished no tangible feats, whatsoever! Stupid researchers.

Things science has accomplished: 1900-present (107 years)

-Invention and perfection of the automobile.
-Polio and smallpox vaccines.
-The portable defibrillator.
-The invention and perfection of the personal computer in less than forty years.
-The internet.
-Penicillin and the industry of antibiotics.
-The splitting of the atom.
-Nuclear power.
-Solar power.
-Portable computers.
-Wireless technology.
-The Hubble space telescope.
-The discovery of Pluto.
-Television.
-Talking films.
-Carbon dating.
-Radiation therapy.
-MRI technology.
-Fifteen second flight at Kittyhawk, to militarization, to commercialization, to the first man in orbit, to the first man on the moon, all in less than seventy years.
-And many more.

Things religion has accomplished: 5,000 BC - present (7,000+ years)

-Um...
-Well, there was...
-Hmm...
-I think they...
-Wasn't there a...
-No, maybe it was...
-Err...
-*runs*

Well...

They did manage to oppress(at least one of them) medicinal practices that actually work.

If it wasn't for early Christians, we could argue that guns would never have been innovated as far as they did.

Some religions perfected toture tactics...

um...that is all I can think of off the top of my head.

Well, I wanted to include mainly helpful things in this list, but science also made automatic weapons, the atomic bomb, the rocket-propelled grenade, and Metal Gear.  

ProjectOmicron88

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:01 pm
ProjectOmicron88
Sanguvixen
ProjectOmicron88
Science is make-believe. It just makes sense. Science has accomplished no tangible feats, whatsoever! Stupid researchers.

-The invention and perfection of the personal computer in less than forty years.
-The internet.
-Nuclear power.
-Solar power.
-Portable computers.
-Wireless technology.
-The discovery of Pluto.
-Television.
-Talking films.
-Carbon dating.
-Radiation therapy.
-MRI technology.
-Fifteen second flight at Kittyhawk, to militarization, to commercialization, to the first man in orbit, to the first man on the moon, all in less than seventy years.
-And many more.

-Um...
-Well, there was...
-Hmm...
-I think they...
-Wasn't there a...
-No, maybe it was...
-Err...
-*runs*

Well...

They did manage to oppress(at least one of them) medicinal practices that actually work.

If it wasn't for early Christians, we could argue that guns would never have been innovated as far as they did.

Well, I wanted to include mainly helpful things in this list, but science also made automatic weapons, the atomic bomb, the rocket-propelled grenade, and Metal Gear.

True, and would there have been as many advances in covert explosive devices if not for their desperate need by the zeal-driven Muslim extremists in the middle east?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:30 pm
Tenth Speed Writer
ProjectOmicron88
Sanguvixen
ProjectOmicron88

-The internet.
-Nuclear power.
-Solar power.
-Portable computers.
-Wireless technology.
-The discovery of Pluto.
-Television.
-Talking films.
-Carbon dating.
-Radiation therapy.
-MRI technology.
-And many more.

-Um...
-Well, there was...
-Hmm...
-I think they...
-Wasn't there a...
-No, maybe it was...
-Err...
-*runs*

Well...

True, and would there have been as many advances in covert explosive devices if not for their desperate need by the zeal-driven Muslim extremists in the middle east?

Yep, necessity is the mother of invention.

Or, if you THINK you have necessity.  

ProjectOmicron88

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:47 pm
que me gusta lo mejor
I need to have a robot to do all my chores for me.
ni el dinero ni el amor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:24 pm
Let's not forget one thing that religion played a part in:

The Destruction of the Library of Alexandria and all the information it had inside. Who knows what was in the Library, for all we know there could have been info in there on what made civilizations like The Egyptians, The Greeks, The Romans so successful. If it hadn't been burned we could have advanced science, medicine and technology many hundreds of years further than we are now.  

Arios V

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:52 pm
And that one's a mixed lot, too. Ottomans, Western European Christians and Roman war brigades all played a hand in wiping that out. As far as I can tell it took three tries.

Talk about wishing for an undo button.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:02 pm
Metal Gear? It's amazing how incredibly relivent that is to the dangerous side of science...

When did this discussion go from the quotes to what science has done for us? ._.;  

Covered-Up Boxers

Rainbow Holocaust

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:42 pm
How lovely.
People are suggesting that we go back to before our roots, when our country was founded on freedom of religion for the better of mankind.

This just seems a little bass akwards to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:43 pm
Baron von Turkeypants
que me gusta lo mejor
I hope he doesn't drive a car or own a microwave or watch TV or anything. At least then he wouldn't be a hypocrite.
ni el dinero ni el amor
He must also live in a cave. Which would explain a lot of things.  

Reichkovich

Arios V

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:33 pm
Theophrastus
And that one's a mixed lot, too. Ottomans, Western European Christians and Roman war brigades all played a hand in wiping that out. As far as I can tell it took three tries.

Talk about wishing for an undo button.

Yeah, all that stuff gone, who knows what secrets it held. Such a waste of knowledge.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:36 pm
Only religion could make people believe there's sense in the concept of going backwards to make progress.  

Theophrastus

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:39 pm
Theophrastus
Only religion could make people believe there's sense in the concept of going backwards to make progress.

You could say just the same that only human weakness can pull us toward chaos and self-destruction when hope is shining so brightly in religion.

We still base ourselves on faith: Faith in our own ability to reason. Don't ever forget that.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:39 pm
Tenth Speed Writer
Theophrastus

You could say just the same that only human weakness can pull us toward chaos and self-destruction when hope is shining so brightly in religion.

We still base ourselves on faith: Faith in our own ability to reason. Don't ever forget that.

I fundamentally disagree, but then that's somewhere between philosophy and semantics, so I won't argue the point. n_n  

Theophrastus

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:43 pm
que me gusta lo mejor
I agree with your decision to disagree to agree with him who we disagree with (bad grammar but I have no ******** idea how to make it right).
ni el dinero ni el amor

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas