Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The State With The Most Non-Religious People Is..... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Covered-Up Boxers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:40 pm
Rainbow Holocaust
Oh really?
In all honesty that motivates me to pack up and move even 50 miles west.
Good ole Idaho....
It's turning into the love child of Utah and California eek

IS THAT GOOD OR BAD?

That sounds like George Bush having a miracle a**baby with David Bowie.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:21 am
Rockin' the 9% with NE.

I'd love to live in Washington. It's beautiful, and they have such nice, reasonable people.  

reverie0312

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:39 am
Soy un hombre muy honrado,
que me gusta lo mejor
But they're so god damn close to Canada.
Las mujeres no me faltan,
ni el dinero ni el amor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:54 pm
What's wrong with Canada?  

Covered-Up Boxers

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:18 pm
Tenth Speed Writer
Really?

That's nothing if not encouraging, to see them doing something like that.

My family is a bit anti-homosexual. Which makes me sad.

But seeing a few churches take a stand for homosexuals...that made me happy inside. To bad they didn't win. emo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:24 pm
Quote:
I live in Virginia too <3
I'm also in an area with a lot of churches too. I've known a good number of people who aren't religious and although the religious are in the majority by far still, I don't have any complaints really.

I've been known that, Caustic. You live in the upper part, right?

I've found a few people here and there that are not overly religous. Hell, my best friend is Buddist, and the other...well, is a member of this site.

The only complaints I have is the people who flaunt thier religion. I hate it.

Quote:
Most of Northern Virginia is no where near as religious as Southern Virginia. There are a lot of churches around here, but there aren't nearly as many as when I visited Richmond a few weeks ago. Seemed like there were Churches everywhere.

Apparently the gay marriage ban got enough attention, as it's not part of the state constitution, which really sucks.

As for Arios V....I've never really been in the Northern part of Virginia.

Yeah...there are so many. Everywhere you turn the corner it seems. I don't like the signs of some of them. They'll have these signs with messages on this that change weekly, and some of them make me sick in the stomach for various reasons.

Gay marriage is a hot topic. I don't understand why. It's so...messed up.

Sanguvixen

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:35 pm
que me gusta lo mejor
Covered-Up Boxers
What isn't wrong with Canada?
fixT
ni el dinero ni el amor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:09 pm
Baron von Turkeypants
que me gusta lo mejor
Covered-Up Boxers
What isn't wrong with Canada?
fixT
ni el dinero ni el amor

Touche.  

Covered-Up Boxers

Arios V

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:23 pm
Sanguvixen
Quote:
I'm also in an area with a lot of churches too. I've known a good number of people who aren't religious and although the religious are in the majority by far still, I don't have any complaints really.

I've found a few people here and there that are not overly religous. Hell, my best friend is Buddist, and the other...well, is a member of this site.

Quote:
Most of Northern Virginia is no where near as religious as Southern Virginia. There are a lot of churches around here, but there aren't nearly as many as when I visited Richmond a few weeks ago. Seemed like there were Churches everywhere.

Apparently the gay marriage ban got enough attention, as it's not part of the state constitution, which really sucks.

Yeah...there are so many. Everywhere you turn the corner it seems. I don't like the signs of some of them. They'll have these signs with messages on this that change weekly, and some of them make me sick in the stomach for various reasons.

Try and visit at least once. It's pretty nice up here, lot of people though. Actually, where I live has some of the worst if not the worst traffic in the state or at least outside of Richmond, so getting around maybe a bit troublesome.

I never really got why they throw such a fit about gay marriage, it's not like it's hurting anyone.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:55 pm
Arios V
Sanguvixen
Quote:

Quote:

Try and visit at least once. It's pretty nice up here, lot of people though. Actually, where I live has some of the worst if not the worst traffic in the state or at least outside of Richmond, so getting around maybe a bit troublesome.

I never really got why they throw such a fit about gay marriage, it's not like it's hurting anyone.

I've never had a reason to go up there. I don't get out of area around where I live very often. There is no reason to....but I'll be in Hamton when Nekko con rolls around.

I don't know why it matters to people. I don't understand it...I just don't. Maybe it comes down to control...or maybe some people feel threatened by the idea of the state being accepting towards gays. Who knows...

Sanguvixen

Sergeant CJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:00 am
I always thought of washington as a 10/10 but hearing that makes me glad I live here 11/10  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:20 am
I suspect Seattle's Sci-fi museum helped slightly with Washington's number of atheists and agnostics. cool  

Matataur

Androphile

6,600 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:27 am
gonk I wish the state with the most atheists was Hawaii, just cuz, lol, I live here.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:42 am
Arios V
Just a few minutes ago while browsing Wikipedia, I stumbled upon this graph put up by USA Today that shows the breakdown of religious beliefs per state (Excluding Hawaii and Alaska).

I have some doubts on the credibility of it, but it's the only thing I've found that has this sorta thing, so it's gonna have to work until I find something better.

The answer to the question stated above is: Washington

Yes, Washington State is apparentely where the most non-religious people are. 25% of the population claim to have no religion. Oh and here's the kicker, that's more than ALL beliefs (when broken down into the different sects) in the state.

The state with the least number of non-religious people are is: North Dakota

Surprisingly, it's not Alabama. North Dakota only has a 3% of non-religious people while Alabama has 6%.

Feel free to play with the map here.
http://www.usatoday.com/graphics/news/gra/gnoreligion/flash.htm

I find this very interesting as I went to university in Washington, and after I return from Japan next year, I will be moving to North Dakota.

Now, some might think I am dreading a move to such a religiously steeped state as North Dakota, but I can tell you from having spent time their off-and-on for a number of years, the people may be religiously convicted but they are rather friendly about it all. So, I feel comfortable in moving there, and almost proud to be able to change the percentage of non-religious persons in North Dakota from 3% to 3.01%. Go me.  

Rohkaze

Duchess Raanin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:01 pm
Surprisingly to me, Michigan (the state in which I live), has very little Muslims/Islamics listed. I live very close to Dearborn... It's just a walk down the street. I've seen more stores with Arabic writing on the signs than I can count. And just 1-2%? That's a little upsetting.

And the 15% that shares the same views as I, that's good enough for me.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff