Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Do we at least respect other religions? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

skullylake

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:35 pm
I don't see what the big deal is. If someone asks you to pray, then pray. If you're an Atheist anyway, it's not like you're going against anything.(Although, I could simply have a warped perspective on this issue because I'm Agnostic. To me, religion is negotiable, and can be changed by the hour.) Honestly, you could just stare at the food if it upset you that much.

And if they noticed that you weren't really praying, it sure would make for some interesting dinner conversation, given they have an open mind.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:36 pm
I respect most other religions.  

Freebird4077

Dapper Sex Symbol

11,500 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100

Duchess Raanin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:39 pm
First, you shouldn't keep it a secret.
Tell them.
I hope you'll find the courage to do so.

If they truly love you, they'll accept it.

Most of the opinions are good.
I especially liked the prayer someone made up.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:36 pm
Well, in regards to your post: Meh, I'd pretend. It's not like they can make me pray, besides I see it more as a custom. Would you refuse to throw salt if you entered into a shinto shrine even though you don't believe in shinoism? Aha!  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

CaprinaePsi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:37 pm
I respect religion in the way that seems more like I tolerate it. If I go over a friend's house and have dinner there, and they happen to be religious and want to pray before dinner, I'll sit there quietly and wait patiently. If they ask me to lead in prayer, I'll say that I'm atheist, and that if it's okay for me to "pray" to whatever spiritual being might be listening in. I will respect them for their choices, and I expect them to do the same for me.

I will tolerate their religion, but if I can't respect them, then I won't.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:52 pm
Being an atheist does not give you the right to be an a*****e.
I respect religion in the sense that it can do great things for people.
I go to a religious friend's house I pray, I dont blurt out the fact "I'm an atheist, youre a douche and youre wrong" that isnt right.  

[Hollow Point]

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:02 pm
[Hollow Point]
I go to a religious friend's house I pray, I dont blurt out the fact "I'm an atheist, youre a douche and youre wrong" that isnt right.

That would definately make for interesting dinner conversation. xd  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:24 pm
When I'm in that situation, I just do whatever everyone else is. It's not worth the trouble for me to make a big deal out of it, you know? sweatdrop  

Orson Welles

Wiccan Clarinet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:40 pm
Would I pray? No. Would I at least go through the motions of bowing my head and folding/holding hands and such? Yes. If my Christian friends come to my house for supper, I don't stop them from praying, so why should I not go through the motions myself? I just seems disrespectful not to. In my opinion.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:13 am
[Hollow Point]

Granted... doesn't stop it from being amusing, though...
Click here.
This is from a thread in a Christian guild I joined to make fun of them. Read my comment that I posted in Wiccan Clarinet's account. The one with me quoted.
Yes, I respect religion... if they can respect me and my lack of it. As one of our banners say... "It's not God I have a problem with. It's his fan club I can't stand." Pretty much. Around the dinner table, I bow my head when my fanatical grandmother and aunt come by. I don't pray. Sometimes, I don't even look like I'm praying. Other times, I sing a song under my breath. But they have yet to figure out that I'm an atheist. Meh. Not my problem.

Superior Jazz

Twilightringwraith

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:40 pm
No, I would not pray. There is no reason for me to pray. I will not go ahead and scream at them for telling me to pray, but I will tell them that it is against my religion.

Just like if they came to my house, I would expect them to still pray. It works both ways.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:17 pm
Twilightringwraith
No, I would not pray. There is no reason for me to pray. I will not go ahead and scream at them for telling me to pray, but I will tell them that it is against my religion.

Just like if they came to my house, I would expect them to still pray. It works both ways.

But atheism ISN'T a religion. Propagating that notion is a surefire way for us to continue to be misrepresented.  

ProjectOmicron88

-- Flyper --

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:40 pm
When I'm in a situation like that, I basically keep my mouth shut and go with the motions. Even if I don't close my eyes, I'll still look like I'm praying. This is especially important in a Southern Baptist-ruled area like Mississippi. But even if I lived somewhere else, I'd still do it out of respect.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:45 pm
Wouldn't it be better, if the situation arose where you were asked to take a prayer, to come out with something praiseful but completely without god?

You know;
"Let us enjoy this meal and be thankful for the work it took to get it to our plates. Let us think of those who do not have what we have and feel grateful that we are here, happy and healthy and ready to eat."

Sometimes I wish I was Wilde or someone so I could pull that off. xp

I have to confess, there is a Scots grace that has such a bounce to it, even an athiest can't help but enjoy blurting it out;

"Some hae meat and cannae eat,
And some would eat but want it,
But we hae meat,
And we can eat,
So let the Lord be thankit!"  

ficklefiend

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:38 pm
When I am in a situation when prayer is being done (dinner, mess hall [Boy Scout], or other setting) I just sit/stand quietly with my eyes averted down. If someone asks me why I don't pray I say "it's against my religion". If they get the pun they're smart enough to drop it. If they're not so smart and question me to what I am I simply say "other". If they still don't get it they just write me off as a wacko.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff