Welcome to Gaia! ::

THE RANDOM PEOPLE OF TOMORROW [[LET'S RAWRRR]]

Back to Guilds

Playground for the random. 

Tags: Random, Hangout, Roleplay, Contests, Arts 

Reply It Even Comes In a Can! [[Spam Forum]]
Spastic Spazzing Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 310 311 312 313 314 315 ... 370 371 372 373 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:18 pm
Tobi Kaito

I have nicknamed SO MANY pokemon, haha~
Usually it's wordplay involving translations of words related to their form, element, etc.
(I'm sure I was quite a sight while frantically trying to figure out all the nicknames for the eeveelutions.)
I have a few that broke the mold, though. A poochyena I named "Kiki" after a friend because it reminded me of them; a zigzagoon, later linoone, named "Ziggy" (every zigzagoon from Ruby on has gotten that name, I just can't give it up at this point); a makuhita named "Mak," a nod to the main character of Punch Out!!
My beau doesn't nickname many of his pokemon, but there is always one ferocious feline named "Shima" after on of our cats. Shima the inceneroar was very entertaining, we joked that the real Shima was going to get ideas from inceneroar Shima and start working out to get buff. cat_rofl
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:10 pm

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:27 pm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:21 am
Queen Spazzy

On a random whim I asked all members of my family that plays pokemon in any way from the classic games we know to just only played pokemon go how they nickname their pokemon.

Categorizing us all up by ages here is the results.

Grandparents (only played go.): named their pokemon from every child to them's own nicknames, so for example tossing my IRL name out here again if I done so before cause idk how much I done it around here if ever Everett went to their Eevee they named Ev from their way to differ me from my father whom had the same name but went with Rhett for his nickname, and so on with other pokemon they thought fit the nickname perfectly so I'm an Eevee named Ev and my dad's their Eeveeloution dad's parents went Umbreon named Rhett, my mom's parents went with a Flareon (their reasons are funny and adorable.) & they all made my mother Syliva was her name into the obvious best Eeveeloution for her name Sylveon. (so we're the Eevee family. And the reasons why my dad to his parents is a Umbreon is because back in school they knew him to be the kind of kid to act tough around all when he was really sweet, as for my mom's parents my dad is Flareon because they say he had a fire in him to not give up on winning their blessings to marry my mother, and apparently according to my E do da he said my father's hair matched Flareon's hair.)

Parents I lost both sadly so couldn't ask them, so their group instead goes to aunts and uncles whom also played only go: they do the same as my grandparents except they include all family member's nicknames to pokemon they see fit.

Older siblings (side note they were all adults or off to college a few months later when I was born.) were a mixed batch of only go and some that also played red or blue before cause I, or their own kids showed interest in Pokemon: named pokemon from languages they learnt or know, or also after their kids & grandkids.

My group late 80's to early 90's kids: we are still degenerates from the 90s but less so now, and we kind of do what my older siblings do with any language we learnt or just know some of we use, and any with kids have named pokemon after their kids, followed up by this we got our references and inside joke names only we all would get. (Like my female Pikachu Philip.)

Children of family: they're young as lambs so just as innocent with misspelled Pikachu around the board, but they are also mostly made up of toddlers.

the few teenagers of children of family aka only three literally: named pokemon after their favorite characters from anything else.

Tobi Kaito

Sweet Punk

28,275 Points
  • The Edgiest 250
  • The Sweetest 250

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:52 pm
Tobi Kaito

Oh, that's interesting, how pokemon naming conventions seem to differ by generation!
I only have one cousin that was really into pokemon, same age as me, and I know once we got into anime and manga he started naming all of his pokemon after characters or with Japanese words. (Pretty sure there was an onix with a Dragonball name in there somewhere.) I think he names half of them after memes now, haha~
(My beau also uses meme names sometimes. There is at least one pokemon out there with a nickname that references David Pumpkins. And if he doesn't have a skeleton pokemon named Dootles, I will be disappointed.)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:33 am
Queen Spazzy

I found it entertaining to learn, especially since I know for myself I name all around the board of nicknaming pokemon, I have a rough time getting a female Eevee to make my Sylveon to be named Sylvia but ever since I learnt my mother's name I always had a Sylveon named Sylvia in her honor, rarely I'll do a Vaporeon named Sylvia due to her favorite color being Blue (what I need is a shiny Sylveon to solve this.), but other than that I named pokemon when I get into the mood to make myself name most of them all I can done memes, anime references if not character names, IRL stars like Bruce the Hitmonlee or the occasional ironic now Ryan the Raichu (since Ryan Reynolds was Detective Pikachu's voice. Before that all I just weirdly did it on a whim.), our old classic ways of nicknames are rarely done now for it depends on if I want to go back into that nostalgia feeling atm, and then I got like how you nicknamed some where I look at element of pokemon, their animal or material IRL thing they represent and etc to decide a name. I even done the old Pokemon reference to Sparky the Pikachu whom was Ritchie's Pikachu.

In the end it was fun and interesting to learn how we all named our Pokemon, in the future I might extend my questions of nicknames for pokemon to random people on the streets I see playing Go or even just make a website poll where we give an age range & have multiple select answers for what they nickname their pokemon like A.) after family members nicknames or real names, B.) Celebrity names, c.) anime characters, d.) memes etc. just get a basic summed idea of how people name Pokemon more.

Guess I'm on my way to becoming the next Pokemon Name Rater if I go to do exactly that later on sometime. rofl

Also I just have to ask if you find hilarious some that this boy (in the middle) here is named Goh in Pokemon Journeys, and he's known in the series for just tossing pokeballs out and catching many of his pokemon with never battling them at all? (minus the couple times they stuck to he HAS to still battle them to weaken the wild pokemon in order to catch them.)

I honestly personally feel Pokemon knew exactly what they were doing when they made this character with how they named him Goh, and made him be in the anime series.

Tobi Kaito

Sweet Punk

28,275 Points
  • The Edgiest 250
  • The Sweetest 250

Tobi Kaito

Sweet Punk

28,275 Points
  • The Edgiest 250
  • The Sweetest 250
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:37 am
Since I went and started talking of Pokemon Journeys I wanted to show more gifs of it now. xd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:44 pm
Tobi Kaito

You're gonna be the best Pokemon Name Rater!
I LOVE seeing weird logistics/statistical stuff like this, though.
(I'm a huge math nerd. Hard numbers never lie.)
I think it would be fun to find out how pokemon nicknaming conventions differ by country, too.
There's no real world benefit to this information, but it would be INTERESTING, at least to me, haha~

... When it comes to that character, I'm on board with the theory that they knew EXACTLY what they were doing. Wordplay at its finest, it HAS to be!
(Which I am on board for one hundred percent, I love puns.)

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:08 pm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:55 pm

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:33 am

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:58 pm
Queen Spazzy

Honestly I'd love to see the results of that too, it'd be interesting to see what differences and similarities people in general have around our world for Pokemon nicknames.

As for Goh I'd also love it if pokemon did do all of it on purpose for it would show they cared enough to notice and make a character into a whole wordplay for those of us whom would notice it.

Tobi Kaito

Sweet Punk

28,275 Points
  • The Edgiest 250
  • The Sweetest 250

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:37 pm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:45 am

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:27 pm

It Even Comes In a Can! [[Spam Forum]]

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 310 311 312 313 314 315 ... 370 371 372 373 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games