Welcome to Gaia! ::

THE RANDOM PEOPLE OF TOMORROW [[LET'S RAWRRR]]

Back to Guilds

Playground for the random. 

Tags: Random, Hangout, Roleplay, Contests, Arts 

Reply It Even Comes In a Can! [[Spam Forum]]
Spastic Spazzing Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 324 325 326 327 328 329 ... 370 371 372 373 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tobi Kaito

Sweet Punk

28,275 Points
  • The Edgiest 250
  • The Sweetest 250
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:23 pm
Queen Spazzy
Tobi Kaito

I read FAR too much and too fast to even consider paying cover price for more than a book or two in a year. But paying a dollar for four novels at the local charity shop? I can afford that.
If you're willing to extend your hunt, just slowly collecting the whole set one or two books at a time might be easier than finding a full set in a single place. Unless you have a big shop like a Half Price Books nearby; if I still lived near one, Half Price would probably be my starting point if I wanted to find all of them at once. House illustrated covers WOULD be really cool, though.

Aye, being honest I'd like to collect them all used and in cases of houses in order of importance, like first year Gryffindor cause Harry's first year, Second Slytherin for Chamber of secrets is going off them, prisoner I'd do Gryffindor again for Sirius and Lupin, 4th Hufflepuff for Cedric, OOTP I'd do Ravenclaw, Half blood I'd do Slytherin for Snape, and Last book I'd if they offered it get just a cover that's just the school logo for the school is most important then.

But I'd just be happy with the books normal too as I just want them for rereading purposes, as for pawn shops of books we're in Emmett Idaho so we got to find places here and around Nampa, Boise, Caldwell areas, which it's been awhile since I been out to one cause of the virus I've forgotten what all we had. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:01 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Tobi Kaito

Sweet Punk

28,275 Points
  • The Edgiest 250
  • The Sweetest 250

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:30 am
Tobi Kaito

Oh, you're way out west! I've never been any further west than Iowa.
I did a quick glance through the store locations on the Half Price Books website, and it looks like a location opened up recently in Boise, interestingly enough.
I'm sure there are plenty of smaller shops, too, though, and some of those may have better prices at the cost of smaller selection.
I could easily make a whole day of visiting secondhand shops and pawing through books and other bits and bobs. Places close so early around me, though, so it's hard to find time to actually go to them...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:45 am
Went to Home Depot yesterday to use a gift card.
I got seeds, pots, and dirt, so I'll have half a dozen-ish new plants soon~
Hopefully I can keep my cats out of them.
I considered growing catnip for them, but I'd have to hang the pot from the ceiling, and I'm not sure even THAT would keep them out of it.
Keeping them out of the mint is already hard enough...

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100

Tobi Kaito

Sweet Punk

28,275 Points
  • The Edgiest 250
  • The Sweetest 250
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:34 pm
Queen Spazzy

Aye, out west & in my town's case we have some foods like the south from what I heard from random people whom tour our town. Which may be cause some families here had family members whom were born & raised in the more southern states. (I'm one of those families.) Sadly we're also the case our elderly whom did live in them don't share the south recipes so easily so only so much been learnt from us all, and not all keep living here/want to open a restaurant that offers them up.

As for book places thankfully we got a good few, sadly finding the books in a fair to read condition is the big challenge, mostly cause people here in town are too nice and let people donate any kind of book in any condition.
Being honest most my books I had in life as my own were from pawn shops if not kind teachers gifting me their older copies.
Fact my only brand new at the time books I ever got were the HP series, and one was in a bonus giving stickers which was the first book out ever, idk why we also got stickers but I loved it, being a tidy-ish child (cause bedroom said otherwise.) I only used a few on the inner cover of my old book where you put your name to show it's your book.
As for the other random stickers they went between family members, friends, and me placing them on toys sorting my toys into houses for the few house badge ones.

Honest now I'd love to find a old pawn shop that magically has the books and hopefully some of the old stickers about for the memories of it all.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:39 pm
I been playing two games lately the HL my nephew got himself on the mule account for me on his PS5, but also Persona 4 Golden on my PC Game Pass as it came out for a free to play game on there.
(And of course I got all the other games I own that I play still even now.)

Tobi Kaito

Sweet Punk

28,275 Points
  • The Edgiest 250
  • The Sweetest 250

Tobi Kaito

Sweet Punk

28,275 Points
  • The Edgiest 250
  • The Sweetest 250
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:38 am
Homeward Bound is beloved.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:29 am
Tobi Kaito

Oh, interesting! Sounds kind of like the place I consider my hometown. (Except my hometown gets zero tourism and is listed on MAYBE two whole road signs. It is the poster child for backwater nowhere.) I know my family has lost a LOT of recipes because they simply were never written down. And some of the ones we have from, like, my great grandmother and earlier are just lists of ingredients and a title, sometimes without even measurements listed, so you get to play the fun game of "how do you cook it" and pray you make the right guesses.

I don't get too hung up on books being battered as long as it's just, like, cosmetic. I own a few Stephen King novels that desperately need to be rebound and look ready to fall apart if you look at them sideways, but are otherwise perfectly readable. It's when books are missing pages and no one bothers to shove a note in, like "missing ~2 pages near middle" or something, that I get right hot. Had a Dean Koontz novel missing EXACTLY one page near the climax of the plot, and I cursed up a storm over it. Had to wait for a copy to come available in the library's digital catalogue before I could finish it, and apparently it was a book club choice at the time I was reading it so I had to wait DAYS.
I'll wish you luck on those stickers, I didn't even know the books ever came with stickers, I've never seen them! Maybe it was a promotional thing I missed since I didn't start buying the books until Order of the Phoenix...

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:37 am

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:01 am
Queen Spazzy

We share the same behavior on old book ownership then as it seems we both love a book that looks like it can fall into dust looking at it wrong & we'd be quite livid if there is pages missing and nothing was told to us. Course for me I'm also mad if someone marked out whole pages I couldn't read a page in the book too.

And for the HP book & stickers both thing I believe it was promotional for the stickers myself, but I can't really say 100% for it was either promotional or our shop keeper was an American friend that got some early merch things & so being nice they gave kids the stickers when they got the new books.
This was around late 90s in 98 or 99 when I got my copy so the most vivid memory was being sad of the lost of my mother most; Though I do recall the place we bought the book was my older niece's favorite Boise book store, couldn't say name for idk it but can say it was her favorite & she wanted HP herself and cause I wanted a new book and saved up lots of pocket change to pick one up I also picked up the first book as I was a bookworm of a child reading at a senior student level by kindergarten. (shocking to most my friends I'm Slytherin and not a Ravenclaw due to that & how my home life was "You study hard now, and always seek to learn." which I'll admit is still in me, hence why my top two highest likely sorted homes at Hogwarts is Slytherin and Ravenlaw.)

As for going deeper as I grew up I can say my thirst of knowledge leaned when older that around 12 when my father's health started to worsen him more I went from a thirst to learn to a ambition to learn all I can in medicines, medical field, science, & even (probably not the smartest or safest for a small 12 yr old child.) the Occult if it led to anything to help my father. {being honest there was also a slight drive of fear losing him too that kicked that into gear.) So in a Hogwarts was real and we got sorted there I feel the hat would have looked deep and seen that ambition to learn for the sake of that I'd have got my house I am, cause once a ambition hits you that kind of thing sticks, as now my father is gone but there's the side of me all "I must still find all I can that helps others like my father recover, and become the best in medical history as (now that I know what he had.) I found an actual cure for Alzheimer's disease that was relatively safe, cause we all know medicinal cures have their flaws.
And Pottermore also sorted me into Slytherin when it was still Pottermore and not Wizarding world as it is now, so you know I'm a Slytherin over here, same as my year older nephew, same as our older friend & GM Nathan & so my home here we all live in is basically the Slytherin house. {Which makes me want to go buy gothic furniture & the house emblem as a painting from my friend Amanda whom is an artist in her own style to have around. Heck my plan B of life is if I don't move to the sciences of medicine craft I'll make a gaming channel on a platform not YouTube as they changed too much now that newer creators have rough times growing, I feel like hiring her to do the art for the still image of videos, the icon for the channel, & a dumb little logo icon I'll change each year to keep her in work of art since I want her to grow and become renown more as an artist.
And given Amanda's a creative Ravenclaw her works going to be eye catching for all her art I feel, plus being honest & blunt on my view if I can have myself & all the people that I like, and that I know, become more if not become overly successful in life I would die happier then most people with high ambitions, even if my life was filled suffering and struggling a lot I was never fully overly powerfully successful as I wished, I'd die happy if I could get at least one or two friends to become famous on their own.

I been around in life too much whom suffer, and can't do things they loved even with their ambition that I honestly want all to achieve theirs while I achieve my own.

Man, when I get talking sometimes I just really go off don't I?
Hope I at least made some sense, but I wont lie English wasn't the grandest for me cause idk when to do some things in our own blasted messed up language we stole from England and made our own English, yet according to studies we Americans kept the ancient accent of the UK Englishmen and the Englishmen made a newer Englishmen accent they all use now.
({Wont lie like an arse when my friends joking around ask me to do an English accent wanting me to do a UK English I like to just look over and tell them "I'm always doing an English accent mate."}

Any way it's good I'm talking more believe it or not, for most times mainly when shy I don't say much, but I should stop and send this before I make a whole page of a book.

Tobi Kaito

Sweet Punk

28,275 Points
  • The Edgiest 250
  • The Sweetest 250

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:18 am
Tobi Kaito

Oof, yeah, books where the main text is defaced get to me, too. Like, why would a person do this to a book; who hurt them??? It's entertaining to get copies of novels someone clearly used for school or a book club or something, though, because people highlight some of the WEIRDEST things.

I think we bought all of my HP books secondhand or at Wal-Mart, so that might also explain why I never saw the stickers. Except for the last book, I actually still have my original copy of it, we got it at Sam's Club and the art box it's in is signed. I still cherish the book, though I've... yet to actually finish reading it. I got mad about something in the plot and got distracted by other books and just never went back to it. >>; I also didn't get into HP until after the first movie came out, so that was... 2001, according to the Wikipedia page for the film. Of course, then I burned through the first four books in something like a week. (Also a bookworm child! I refused to learn to actually read until I hit kindergarten, but after that I was basically unstoppable. One of the biggest punishments for me as a child was to make me go outside without a book.)

Ambition is a good thing, we'd surely never have reached the industrial age or steam era without ambitious people. And having a backup plan is always good! If you ever go for being an internet icon, let me know, I'll make sure to be a regular viewer. cat_wink Especially since it'll support an indie artist! As a crafter/artist myself, I'm always happy to support independent creators.

And don't worry about the length, just shows you're passionate!
Goodness knows I can basically write a whole novel about things when I'm invested in them, so I certainly won't hold it against anyone else.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:39 am
Some of the seeds I planted have sprouted already!
My chamomile was eager to greet the world, I guess.

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100

Tobi Kaito

Sweet Punk

28,275 Points
  • The Edgiest 250
  • The Sweetest 250
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:01 pm
Lovely chamomile are a nice flower to look at, and they are able to become delicious once dead if you boil water up as you can set the dried up flowers in a teapot to steep for about 5 minutes then strain the pot to have made some of chamomile tea.
(And depending the number of dried chamomile you have the stronger the tea brews.)
Being honest I know it makes better with fresh, but idk why you would have to/want to use the fresher flower unless you run some restaurant or brewing place that demands you to use fresh chamomile instead.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:01 am

Tobi Kaito

Yisss~ I plan to use my chamomile for tea! (Most of my plants can be used for tea or food preparation, actually, even my marigolds can be dried or candied and consumed. The only one I'm not certain has any culinary use is the snapdragons; I'm growing them just because I like snapdragons.)
I thought about planting some lavender to go with the chamomile, but worried the scent of that one would be too much in my room...
In most instances I can think of where the fresher flower might be preferred, it's an aesthetic/presentation thing. Like using fresh flowers to top a pot of blooming tea, or as part of a dessert where the the fresh flower makes for a nicer appearance. I think for the average person using it at home, dried works just as well for most purposes.

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100

Tobi Kaito

Sweet Punk

28,275 Points
  • The Edgiest 250
  • The Sweetest 250
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:31 pm
Queen Spazzy

I googled this out of curiosity; So according to a search on there apparently snapdragon petals are edible, but it's an acquired taste for most people.
However in a medical field they serve a good few of purposes to help with diseases and symptoms such as watery eyes, gum scurvy, hemorrhoids, ulcers, liver disorder, and tumors.

As for the appearances of having a nice flower on chamomile tea I guess you're correct there for tbh if I was to make some and want it to look pretty and presentable to the world, then honestly I would also want a fresher petal compared to a dead dried up one; Unless I was presenting it to gothic people or some normal people that preferred the dead flower look.

It Even Comes In a Can! [[Spam Forum]]

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 324 325 326 327 328 329 ... 370 371 372 373 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games