Welcome to Gaia! ::

Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Back to Guilds

This is a writer's guild where all can gather for feedback and advice on all mediums of writing. Plus it's a great place for conversation. 

Tags: Writing, Writer, Writer's Block, Critiques, Friends 

Reply Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild
Newbies-Introduce yourself here! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 325 326 327 328 329 330 ... 366 367 368 369 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

We learned to change
  but did we change to learn?
View Results

Tak-Jak
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:31 pm
Nix and Machiavelli?! I love you already. Dibs. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:29 pm
To Shialee:

heart heart heart heart LOL! (that means lots of love heart !)

To Darak:

I keep wanting to spell your name Derek.... And how can you say no one knows Nix and Machiavelli? They sit right it front of my bookshelf for five years and I will never move them from that place.  

Chrysanthemum Moon

Darak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:37 pm
When most people I know hear me talk about Machiavelli and Nix they just stare at me blankly and say they like more mainstream books like Harry Potter or, god forbid, Twilight. Anyway, its good to know most people here are familiar with their work, both the books are very influential in my work. As you should see when I get my Thread up...  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:12 pm
You will find my works based mainly around Greek myth.

But most of my all time favorite authors are less than the main stream and more of the literature stream.  

Tak-Jak
Vice Captain

Chrysanthemum Moon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:24 pm
Mainstream authors have to cater to the general population's tastes, and, unfortunately, the general population is not a smart population.

Poe and Vonnegut seems to be my muses at the moment. Before it was surrealism art.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:08 pm
I heart Kurt.  

Tak-Jak
Vice Captain

Serenity Reed
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:53 pm
Darak
Well I'm off to get a threat started for my stories in the Work in Progress

lulz. Let me have this moment. rofl  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:07 pm
x___S h i a l e e
lakita_phoenix
Wait....so I don't have dibs on anyone? And no one has dibs on me?
WOO-HOO!
That means I'm single! I can walk around naked! (random)

no one has dibs on you?! A conspiracy! You're mine ninja

But aren't you newer than me?
That doesn't make sens...
...But I wanna run without any pants on... crying
You crushed a little girl's (actually I'm like 5'11", so not very little) dreams! crying

lakita_phoenix

Darak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:08 pm
Serenity Reed
Darak
Well I'm off to get a threat started for my stories in the Work in Progress

lulz. Let me have this moment. rofl
Damn it! I hate it when I miss mistakes like that!  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:54 am
Hiii Darak. 'S cool that you like the classics, but there's really nothign wrong with mainstream. It's not so much that the authors cater to the public tastes as they just write their book and everybody happens to like it. Usually they become mainstream not because they're for stupid people, but because the writing is simple and the intrigue relies mainly on the plot. Any finesse in other areas aside from plot is wasted in a mainstream book. Like Bella's development of character, even if it was really weird, and JKRowling's supreme talent for making every major and minor character stand out, seem real, and somehow become important to the reader.

I love all books so it upsets me when people don't like one for no real reason, or when they stereotype. Everyone has a story and they must write it--whose book is made popular or not is dependant on too much to generalize. And whose book is published is an ENTIRELY different story X.x scream scream scream scream scream scream scream

And hellos to all the other new people. Jeez. Do you guys ever stop breeding or what? :XP:  

KirbyVictorious

Tak-Jak
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:53 pm
I agree with Kirby, but didn't find it important enough to vocalize.
Opinions are Opinions... and Even that is an Opinion.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:04 pm
KirbyVictorious
Hiii Darak. 'S cool that you like the classics, but there's really nothign wrong with mainstream. It's not so much that the authors cater to the public tastes as they just write their book and everybody happens to like it. Usually they become mainstream not because they're for stupid people, but because the writing is simple and the intrigue relies mainly on the plot. Any finesse in other areas aside from plot is wasted in a mainstream book. Like Bella's development of character, even if it was really weird, and JKRowling's supreme talent for making every major and minor character stand out, seem real, and somehow become important to the reader.

I love all books so it upsets me when people don't like one for no real reason, or when they stereotype. Everyone has a story and they must write it--whose book is made popular or not is dependant on too much to generalize. And whose book is published is an ENTIRELY different story X.x scream scream scream scream scream scream scream

And hellos to all the other new people. Jeez. Do you guys ever stop breeding or what? :XP:
Its not that I am generalizing books or hate them because they are specifically mainstream. I have read a lot of mainstream stuff, Stephen King, J.K. Rowling, Christopher Buckley, Douglas Adams and others who I like alot. When I dislike a book or author it is because of their message, or because I believe them to be uninspired, or because the writing is generally bad, or the plot is atrocious, or the characters are idiotic to a level that they deserve to be thrown in a burlap sack and beaten with a stick and then tossed in a river. For reference I see the Twilight to be the best example of everything I hate in the literary world in fiction, for Non-fiction look up anything put on paper by Ann Coulter

I personally don't believe in hating something or someone unless they give you a reason for doing so and I don't believe in loving something or someone unless they give you a reason so, if you did so, then you would be a extreme generalization and that is a bad thing

Darak

Tak-Jak
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:44 pm
After this, I would like you both (if you wish) to continue this discussion in the previously made thread in the Book/Writing discussion forum.

Just because, such discussions have a tendency to heat up and this is not the proper place for it.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:59 pm
Douglas Adams= heart

And I agree with Kirby.  

Serenity Reed
Crew

lakita_phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:23 pm
I am so lost right now...should have left a trail of bread crumbs...
which reminds me to post my work in progress (it's only in progress because I haven't found a publisher I can meet to submit it; but tell me what you think if you get the chance to read it!) 4laugh sweatdrop

Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 325 326 327 328 329 330 ... 366 367 368 369 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games