Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 3488 3489 3490 3491 3492 3493 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

Mirouni

6,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:53 pm
I believe I have officially obtained Shikai!!
Yaay!!  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:55 pm
Thanks to a lot of help, my guild is up and running now! The link is in my signature if you're interested in looking at it.  

welian

Crew

Eloquent Conversationalist

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:18 pm
Yoder
*is encouraged by seeing somebody striving for academic excellence* It and a good work ethic are so rare these days...

Perhaps it is a dying style because for so long that has not been valued? I worked my arse off for my job, sacrificing my time, health, and sanity- and am still doing the worst job in the store. My only hope is that the education I am fighting to strive in will allow me to do more than . . . this.

I would love to be rich enough to be a full time student, Tana. Alas, I do not have that kind of funding. Thankfully, my college is online, so rather than face frat parties and booze benders, I do my work in bed on my laptop and am generally leaving the negative experience of college physicality behind.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:57 pm
I may get my reply post in the Arena tonight, Tana, though it will more than likely be posted in the morning.

[rant]I agree, Tana. The complacency in America is ridiculous. I admit to being apathetic, but not when it comes to matters of actual importance. Maybe the lack of caring and drive to succeed comes from the mentality of kids being provided with everything they need. Not to say that all kids in such circumstances end up that way (I haven't anyway), but I think the vast majority do. Kids need to work to earn money for college (not saying that their parents can't supplement it or get a loan to help cover the rest), but they need to have an active part in financing their education. It sickens me how teenagers start working as soon as they can only to spend it on on frivolities like cellular phones. Life as a cruel struggle, and many teens just don't understand that, the value of money, the importance of saving, and how to keep within a budget. *ignores the problem with parallelism in his past sentence* If past generations or this generations did, I'd think debt would be much less widespread. Work to live, not to purchase.[/rant]

That's definitely a good motivation (most any motivation is good, so long as you have one), and motivation is another thing many lack presently...

On an entirely different note: I just completed Braid, and it is an awesome game with an epic story.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:00 pm
After being shafted by my 'team' in school . . . it is safe to assume that I am in a foul mood. evil  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:55 am
What happened?  

Mirouni

6,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:29 am
The Assignment
Altruism in Society Campaign (due Week Five)

a. Identify a social issue (e.g., domestic violence, child abuse, homelessness, ethics in business, international human rights violations) as the basis for this assignment. Be sure to obtain instructor approval of your selected issue prior to beginning this project.

b. Prepare a 1,750 to 2,100-word persuasive campaign for an intervention strategy that addresses your selected issue. In your campaign, be sure to include the following items:

1. Discuss the nature and history of your selected issue.

2. Examine the impact that the issue has on society.

3. Select at least two elements of persuasion to be utilized in your campaign. Justify the use of these persuasive elements by connecting them to the various motivations of altruistic behavior as identified in social exchange theory.

I was part of a four person team, each of us needing to contribute. I had been given the unenviable task of taking one element of persuasion. For days I had been begging for my team to do their parts so I knew what to take on. The first two items would give me background, and if two people did the same element of persuasion then somebody would have to do theirs over again. Instead a team member did the introduction and conclusion rather than the element she should have.

Thus, after a full day of work in blistering heat I had to come home and piece together the parts like a jigsaw puzzle, rework the intro and conclusion to fit the essay, do both elements of persuasion, overall editing, run it through the school's system to be sure it is acceptable, format it to APA guidelines, and post it. All this when it was due in only a handful of hours. Now I am exhausted and have to do yet another final for this class about conflict resolution. gonk  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:34 am
lets face it we are all lazy idiots and we like to place it on one person to do the work instead of having to do what we were told to but my condolences (did you have to get Cornel Notes for it if so I'm ever so sorry about your predicament)  

tobiwants2cookies

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:52 am
Ouch, that's horrible of them to do to you.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:55 am
I have no idea what cornel notes are . . . though I did have to rewrite all their citations and the references they used as best as I could . . .

And yes, it was horrible. I'd of let them drown if doing so would not tank my grade further. I am finding it very difficult to concentrate at this point.

Educational Apathy indeed. *nods to Tana*  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

tobiwants2cookies

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:00 am
Cornel notes are a weird type of notes where you get keywords on part of the paper then 'notes' which are bullets that are not full sentences from text your reading then to wrap it all up you have to write a 5 sentence summary of what you took notes on  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:02 am
Ouch. Just.... ouch. See, that's exactly why I hate working with other students.  

welian

Crew

Mirouni

6,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:35 am
Yikes.. That's happened to me a couple times. It really seriously blows.
Sorry they were such dicks about it Magni. sad  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:42 pm
So I made a banner for my guild. I rather like the orange on dark red.  

welian

Crew

Tanakietsu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:13 pm
My first child had her first day of school yesterday [Monday].

AAAAAAGGGHHHHHH!

*hyperventilates*

I want to go with her...

*lip quiver*

Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 3488 3489 3490 3491 3492 3493 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games