Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 3595 3596 3597 3598 3599 3600 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

Degen316

Dedicated Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:04 pm
Yeah, I would imagine Iceland is quite antsy at the moment. I heard flights are postponed till Tuesday.

I just watched a video of it complete with a name I can't pronounce. Apparently, it's not erupting as bad as when it started on Sunday.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:05 am
And it has erupted again. That'll mean no more flights till the weekend.  

Articx-Frost

Unbeatable Raider

Degen316

Dedicated Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:00 pm
Sheesh. This is getting crazy. I heard there's an even bigger volcano that neighbors it, and it's capable of doing more damage than this one... so, umm... let's hope the bigger brother doesn't erupt as well.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:44 pm
You think the tectonic plates are on the move, eh?

Call Me Mephisto

Sparkly Lunatic

Magni Prime
Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:23 pm
The plates are always on the move . . . just very slowly. These eruptions are only a side effect of said movement. smile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:40 pm
Guess I should have worded that differently. Yes they are always moving but the effects are not usually so violently felt by those of us on the surface. The fact that the effects of plate movement are being felt around the world, even when different plates are involved indicates something larger than normal. All I was implying was that the status quo is definitely not....you know...quo. I mean...comon'...the last earth quake shifted the planet slightly off it's axis.

Call Me Mephisto

Sparkly Lunatic

Degen316

Dedicated Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:21 pm
Hmm...

User Image

Yes, tectonic/seismic/cataclysmic activity is normal, however, I can't help but feel things are getting a little too strange, but that's just me. All we need is the supervolcano underneath Yellowstone to erupt and it'll be a field day for sure.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:29 pm
By the very definition of Cataclysm I must giggle at the idea of it being "normal" and I mean to say it happens daily and people just keep going about their lives as it occurs...it actually made me laugh out loud. I just imagine a woman with a brief case doing a super human jump to cross a collapsing bridge, all straight faced. Landing on the other side, she straightens her skirt and keeps walking as dust and heavy debris rain down around her. *snickers* The picture also made me lol.

OMG I read it out loud to my friends and one of them told me a story about a man who was quoted as saying, "Earth quakes are caused by women dressing immodestly." Holy crap, roflmao! And apparently he claims that there is poof because you can follow the catastrophes which always happen in areas where women dress immodestly...HAHAHAHAHAHA! So great!

Too funny!

Call Me Mephisto

Sparkly Lunatic

Degen316

Dedicated Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:53 pm
Heh. Well, cataclysms are "normal" in the sense that they're natural events on earth whether humans like it or not. It's just something to be lived with like floods, forest fires, hurricanes, tornadoes, and so on.

Hahahaha. Interesting theory. Makes me wonder what place is gonna get struck next. Actually, better not say that. It may result in the worst case of irony yet.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:10 pm
Well now, most people who experience cataclysms don't live with them, because they don't live at all. I mean of course not everyone dies but the staggering numbers of human death and not including the other life that has been destroyed is not what I would call normal. I mean, technically these days bombings could be called normal by that standard, sure it kills a lot of people but it's something to be lived with. You see what I'm saying? It just seems so relative. We can say something like that because our houses have not been destroyed by a 7.8 earth quake. Our families have not vanished beneath the rushing muddy waters of a rampaging lahar. I completely agree that earth changing events are normal in the sense that the earth is what 4.55 billion years old? Considering that kind of life span, an event that might change the surface of the planet which may happen every few decades maybe even only every few centuries or more would seem normal. But to consider the life span of a human being 75-80 years, it's not so normal, and we made the language, so I would think it was focusing on our relative view of time. Not recently at least, considering the closeness of the events this past year or two. Which we have agreed on! smile

The events have unfolded so closely together recently that it just feels like something is off, doesn't it? It's all too weird. So the earth may spiral into another ice age, thats cool (haha cool...) they have found that it happens every so often, its a reset button for the planet. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't be concerned and prepared, yes? Okay so it's normal from the planet-wide perspective, I don't think the world is going to end. But planet earth is burping a lot, and I think she might need some beano or something, cause step two is vomiting and thats no good for us organics on the surface.

Wow I kinda segued there didn't I...haha, sorry I used to get into these conversations with my Geology and philosophy professors all the time in college. They're fun! And much more applicable today!

And yeah I was thinking about doing all my errands naked tomorrow to see what seismic activity I might provoke. Keep your eye on CNN for any breaking news on the west coast tomorrow lol.

Call Me Mephisto

Sparkly Lunatic

Degen316

Dedicated Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:10 am
OH EM EFF GEE!!! WHO THE ******** SET OFF THE FIRE ALARM THIS LATE??? Wow. I can't sleep anymore and my roommate is having difficulty sleeping. A lot of people want to hunt down whomever set it off--especially the ones with an 8 a.m. class which is roughly in three hours. Not to mention I'm still a little buzzed from drinking at a friend's birthday party this past night. Freaking BS! (>-_-)>

Might as well reply now. Maybe it'll help calm and tire me...

In the case of being relative... true, I don't live in an area that's ravaged by earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, and other such occurrences, but if it were to happen one day and I lose some or a lot of people that I care about, then of course I'll be moody, but it would also be my understanding that these are forces of nature whether I like it or not. That's basically what I was trying to say--that these are forces of nature. I wasn't trying to compare my livelihood to people that have been experiencing the recent disasters firsthand because I don't wish to be subjective. In any case though... just because they're forces of nature doesn't' mean neglect of preparation. Indeed, when lives are at stake the proper precautions and actions should be taken.

Ah yes, we seem to have a mutual agreement that something seems quite amiss now a days. Whether the cause is earth balancing itself out, or humanity's errors, or a combination of both, we may be in for a bumpy ride.

I'll be keeping an eye out. If anything happens there tomorrow, I'll know exactly why. Haha.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:54 am
Understood smile

And awwww you poor thing! I am so sorry to hear that! Hope you found him and flayed him!...or her O.o.

And yeah we were discussing the reasoning behind someone actually thinking that earth quakes are caused by such things...like is it the force caused by so many erections happening at the exact same moment!? Holy crap! SHABAM!

Call Me Mephisto

Sparkly Lunatic

Articx-Frost

Unbeatable Raider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:58 am
The earth tilts due to the sudden weight increase. xd Best excuse for earthquakes I've heard yet. What's next, farts causing hurricanes?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:00 am
hmmm..... alright, I'll be moving a slightly altered version of Dark Star here... and working on another roleplay which could be fun.  

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 3595 3596 3597 3598 3599 3600 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games