Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
What could ruin Resident Evil? Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... 52 53 54 55 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Could Resident Evil ever be ruined?
  Yes
  Never
  Resident Evil 4
  Resident Evil Movies
  Other reason
View Results

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:46 pm
The games which you are talking about (4 and 5, I presume) are survival/action-horror shooters with RPG elements, not a full fledged RPG. Just because a game has RPG elements in it does not deem it an RPG. Zelda games oft allow you to increase your health, buy and upgrade stuff through a merchant, and have enemies dropping money, but they haven't been deemed RPGs (Except Adventure of Link). The Merchant was going a little too far, I must concede. But since the enemies in that game were parasites with human hosts wearing clothes, it is believable for those contents to be on them. Maximizing of health is another point I will agree on you with, but like I said, just because the games have those components doesn't mean they've turned into RPGs.

I can't believe you just compared the changing of a games format to the dropping of traditions for Christmas. Well, in any case, since I don't believe in Christ or get presents for Christmas anymore, change it all you want. It got stale anyways. I know there is no Santa...I think.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:49 pm
Umm... I'm sorry, but you seem to be a bit confused... Zelda is and has always been deemed an RPG. Not a JRPG per se, but an action RPG, yes.  

Biohazard EXTREME

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:13 pm
Action-Adventure, Not action-RPG, my friend. There is a difference.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:14 pm
I know there is a difference. And wherever I went, whoever I talked to, Zelda has always been referred to as Action RPG.  

Biohazard EXTREME

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:18 pm
Really?!! It has always been Action-Adventure for me...Weird. I guess circumstances have made us deem the game differently...I still believe it is more Action-Adventure then Action-RPG, such as FFXII.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:27 pm
Well, you get to name your character, and before it became 3D, it had the top down view just like all RPGs did. And besides, if Fallout 3 counts as an RPG, I don't see why Zelda shouldn't. Aside from the sheer fact that you level up in Fallout.
But nevertheless, my point is that RE4 is more of an RPG with select survival horror elements, than the other way around. I mean, okay, so Dino Crisis had the shopping, Onimusha had the weapon upgrades... But for enemies in a horror game to be dropping money and ammo when they use neither... That's and RPG if I ever played one.
Parasite Eve (the first one) is less of an RPG than RE4. There I said it.  

Biohazard EXTREME

Mr. Kennedy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:30 pm
I usually agree with you man but...

Parasite Eve was a totally way more of an rpg.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:39 pm
Well okay, maybe the first one. But not the second one. The second Parasite Eve is more survival horror than RE4, and RE4 is more RPG than Parasite Eve 2.  

Biohazard EXTREME

Mr. Kennedy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:46 pm
There you go. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:54 pm
Of course, it's pretty ironic how PE started as an RPG, but then moved toward being more like Survival Horror, and screw what anyone says, PE2 is better than the first BECAUSE of that.
On the other hand, Resident Evil has moved toward the likes of Final Fantasy, except with not NEARLY enough character development (if any at all) to justify itself as a good RPG. Nor is it a good Survival horror title.
Fun action for the sake of fun is all it is, but if I wanted that, I might as well play Mario Galaxy.  

Biohazard EXTREME

Canas Renvall
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:54 pm
MM-212 Beta
I'm more talking since the beginning of the movies to the end result of Resident Evil 4. No offense to the movie goers of the series, but their complete crap. Action is all what it takes to get new fans to watch and get involved in the series. Like you said Bio, Capcom are becoming more of the trend than trend setters. That's my take on it without blowing it out of proportion.

If they're so crap, why did RE4 copy them?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:17 pm
Well, as a cult of ancient parasites in Spain, in a castle with lava pits and giant dragon statues spitting fire will suggest: Capcom has drained ALL of its creativity and is forced to look for ideas just about EVERYWHERE else.  

Biohazard EXTREME

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:32 pm
Name your character whatever you want, it's still Link officially. Having a top down view...Does that make Metal Gear an RPG? Glad you mentioned Leveling Up, the key to every RPG game. I'll bet you'll name a game considered to be an RPG that doesn't have that system, but it's well known (And taken from the description of VG-RPG) that they take their name from the settings and game mechanics which they inherit from early role-playing games. You mean the ones where you level up? So, in RPGs, you specifically level up...Does that happen in Zelda? (Except Adventure of Link). I don't use the lint in my pocket, yet it's still there...That was a joke, a dry one at that, but my point is that they could of have had that stuff on them before they were taken over by the parasites.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:03 pm
Yeah, but in FF7, Cloud is still Cloud, but you CAN rename him, that's the common trait among RPGs. Well, the good ones, anyway.
And when I say top down view, I also mean with big headed... Essentially Chibi characters like this one:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Okay, so you don't level up in Zelda, but you don't get to rename your character in RPGs like Valkyrie Profile, or Shadow Hearts, it's still an RPG. Just because one element is missing, doesn't mean it doesn't go into the genre.
Like I said, for as long as I've known Zelda, people have always, always refered to it as Action RPG, wherever I went.

So... You're saying that BEFORE the villagers became hostile savages, they carried American brand 9mm handgun bullets in their pockets? Okey.  

Biohazard EXTREME

MM-212 Beta
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:33 pm
Canas Renvall
MM-212 Beta
I'm more talking since the beginning of the movies to the end result of Resident Evil 4. No offense to the movie goers of the series, but their complete crap. Action is all what it takes to get new fans to watch and get involved in the series. Like you said Bio, Capcom are becoming more of the trend than trend setters. That's my take on it without blowing it out of proportion.

If they're so crap, why did RE4 copy them?
I never actually said RE4 copied the movies. I'm trying to say the elements and direction they were led, went in a 180 direction and went more towards what people were more interested into seeing. We all know as true fans of the series, everyone else bitched and complained about the controls and the camera angles. So to put a fresh new look on the series the movies were introduced showing a new attitude of the series. If anyone really needs to see which way the finger is pointing, they know Capcom is truly held responsible for their decisions.  
::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... 52 53 54 55 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games