Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 3966 3967 3968 3969 3970 3971 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:01 pm
Yes, the way I see it, the lunar cycle is a myth . . . shifters are not slaves to the lunar cycle in any way. The catch of their shifted form is that the human stays within human limits for height and weight. Such is the purpose of being a shifter. The animal form can only grow/shrink up to 50% of the mass of the human, so incect shifters are ******** bugs, while a whale shifter would be a tiny whale.  
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:37 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Both of these are easily possible, Tanakins.  

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:48 pm
Nice example pics!  
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:14 am
Read all the posts you put up, everything looks neat-o. And I'll admit, with such hard limitations it makes being a goods/people smuggler look like a really fun role. n_n;; Besides, Tana has been feeling pretty chaotic neutral lately, so that might have something to do with it.  

Tanakietsu

RagingBluMunky

Dedicated Tactician

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:32 pm
Magni, I really like all that you've written here, but I have one contention, and two questions.

Here's my contention: Why are the Scutes the 'smart ones'. While reptiles are superb survivors/hunters and are, as a whole, tough to kill, they are not particularly bright. Now this is your universe, and this may be presumptuous of me, but I think that the Scutes should be dangerous because of superior reptilian instincts combined with Human intelligence.
But this is just my opinion.

My first question is: Why is there no Amphibian group? Are they just folded into Vanes?

My second is: How would a Cetipede-shifter be regarded, among Chitons and the rest of the world?  
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:03 pm
I'm not even going to pretend to know the answer, but do you think that there are enough different types of amphibians to justify their acknowledgement? I realize what I'm saying is a bit unfair to amphibians and there are hundreds, if not thousand different species of amphibians when you get to the nitty gritty. But there are what, frogs/toads, salamanders, and those bizarre worm-type amphibians?

It's not my world, so my opinion is not the silver lining. I've dealt with many problems trying to include a variety of amphibians in rp and even novel type projects and when it comes down to it, the classification is just that; a classification. *shrug*
---
I hope that this doesn't come off as mean, or rude. And Tana is sorry if it does. *apprehensive apologetic bow*
---
The Scutes being just intellectual ones may be a misinterpretation / incorrect generalization. They seem to be exactly what you describe them as, in tune to their instincts to the point that they have accumulated a massive amount of information given their stealthy, manipulative, and sly ways. It's just that enough time has past that their informational wealth has prospered compared to hivemind Chitons, the isolationist Vanes, and the brutish based Taws which believe might makes right.
---
These are just my opinions of something that Talon-taichou knows best and everyone has right to chastise me for any inaccuracies I've just rambled on. Just trying to be helpful! n_n  

Tanakietsu

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:06 pm
RagingBluMunky
Magni, I really like all that you've written here, but I have one contention, and two questions.

Here's my contention: Why are the Scutes the 'smart ones'. While reptiles are superb survivors/hunters and are, as a whole, tough to kill, they are not particularly bright. Now this is your universe, and this may be presumptuous of me, but I think that the Scutes should be dangerous because of superior reptilian instincts combined with Human intelligence.
But this is just my opinion.

My first question is: Why is there no Amphibian group? Are they just folded into Vanes?

My second is: How would a Cetipede-shifter be regarded, among Chitons and the rest of the world?

Okay, fair enough.
Contention: I wanted to make stereotypes, and mammals are very versatile. Mammals have complex systems and I wanted them to feel familiar. Scutes I wanted to take a less brute force approach, so what is the opposite of brawn? Brains. I saw how reptiles could be more devious, more cunning. Bear in mind these are stereotypes, and not absolutes. You want to be a dumb lizard? Sure. you want to be a smart mammal? Sure. The stereotypes were meant to give an overall view of not only the groups, but how they see each other as well.
Amphibians: Those are considered part of the Scute nation, but are not nearly as reviled as they could be. Some minor skirmishes may come from the aquatic nature, but a frog is nothing like a minnow. A salamander is nowhere near a fish. Thus, the amphibians do not face much animosity from other scutes or other groups.
Centipede: A centipede would be part of the Chiton Empire, and perhaps be more indipendant than say ants or bees . . . but would remain loyal to the Chitons above all others.

think of them like a caste system, with families within those castes. Shifters are loyal to their own kind, and among their own kind loyal to their group. Among their own group, they are loyal to the government when it does not endanger the family/clan. Of course, personal safety can throw a wrench in that ideology, but that is more of a personal choice. Chitons are less likely to put themselves above peers, and Scutes are highly likely to tell the family to ******** off. On a side note- I imagine a midway point to look something like a centipede centaur . . . and that is ******** awesome. Such is part of why I wanted to start this RP, just to let imaginations go completely wild.

Okay, on to Tanakins.

Amphibians: They are a very diverse group, and perhaps they could have made a move for independance, but with the Blue Rebellion, they sided with the Scute Dominion for numbers. Not unlike the arachnids with the Chiton Empire, they could be different, but it is safer to be with others- and the Scutes are far more like them than the Taws Nations or the Chiton Empire. They are treated as equals for now, and if anything valued for going into the waters far more than other groups. In retrospect, they may make moderately good emmisaries to the Vanes if such was desired.

You are not being mean or rude, these are good questions! Hell, I may not ever get the RP moving, but it is fun to actually talk about it. It makes me feel like all that time may not have been wasted after all.

Manipulative, sly, stealthy . . . that is definitely the Scute way. Why use a club when a scalpel is much cleaner? The Taws Nations value evolution and conflict. They are not fully at war, but a little bloodletting is not something to shy away from. Competition weeds out the weak, and ultimately only the smartest, strongest, and best survive the political and arena to lead. To them, it was not about just being strong- it's about being (shameless reference) like Optimus Prime. A damned good warrior that knows to value their fighters. The Chiton Empire uses the whole "human wave" ideology. Zealots that will do anything for their empire sent on possible suicide missions to do things that a regular soldier would balk at. The catch being the power of the Chitons makes them survive suicide missions far more than non-shifters.

damn, this is fun!!!! rofl  
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:25 pm
Good info/clarification there, Tana and Magni.

To provide some examples of the diversity, consider foxes. Though they would be on the Taws side, foxes are seen as sly creatures. Thus, they are the more Scute-like, though they couldn't surpass all Scutes in those abilities.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

RagingBluMunky

Dedicated Tactician

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:48 pm
Thanks for the answers and opinions everyone.

I agree that there isn't quite enough variety to justify amphibians having their own group, and I put them as Vanes because, while they may be able to breathe air and live on land, many species have to live in water.

As for the Scutes, I wouldn't think of them as stupid or brutish, but cunning more than intelligent (able to plan an effective ambush but unable to grasp the finer points of quantum theory, so to speak).

As for the centipedes, I was more asking, If arachniformes are feared/revered, how would centipedes, another powerful (relatively speaking) predator be regarded.

Also (slightly randomly) hives like ants and bees are the exception rather than the rule with insects, though I have no objection to Chitons being collectively minded.

Anyone have Any idea what the hybrid form of a centipede shifter would look like? I'm having a lot of trouble wrapping my head around it. I can pretty easily think of one for other most arthropods, but not centi/milipedes  
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:40 am
As Magni had suggested, potentially a Centipede version of a Centaur, where from torso down you've got half the length of a giant centipede. You could also have a character sprout numerous hands like the Hindu Shiva/Vishnu statues have. There are many ways to do it.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Tanakietsu

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:45 am
So very, many hands. o_o
---
Cunning can develop into intellect. *shrugs* I think there's a point where the stereotype must develop into something more. Anyway, Scutes be the brains. That be that. *shrug*

Looks like it'd be fun with a decent group.  
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:49 pm
Here's hoping we can get a large enough group.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:40 pm
Physically, they more closely resemble Scutes than Vanes, so the amphibians have chosen to associate with the scaled ones rather than the swimmers. You do have a point that many require water, but similarities are more than simply ‘skin deep.’ As for being cunning, reptiles are not typically as able to endure strain for as long as mammals, so they tend to embody “work smarter, not harder.” That led to the cunning aspect. At worst, they exploit weakness. Also bear in mind that they are not animals that change into humans. These are Humanoids that can become animals . . . and there is a very good reason that so many diverse species are available. *devious smile*

As for Centipedes, I imagine that insect-like limbs would form out of the ribs . . . with a hardening of the skin. Of course, what I do is type in “Anthropmorphic _________” for an animal hybrid state. That is how I found the chamelions and I admit, some interesting results came up from centipede.

Many/most insects are predatory in some way. Centipedes are more successful than most. Take bugs like the assassin bug- That thing is nothing short of macabre! Wearing the corpses of it’s kills as armor?! Spiders and Scorpions are typically the apex predators to insects, and are both respected and feared for the fact that in a fight . . . they are far more likely to win. All within the Chiton Empire understand the fundamental truth- if the Arachnids could find a way to expand their numbers to a significant level, they would both strike down the Chitons first, and be beyond dangerous to all around the world.

Insects generally follow hierarchies in my experience. Even when loners, they do understand that some of their species need to be challenged, but respect those that have proven to be better. What’s more, quite possibly the most fearsome predatory entity on the planet is a colony of aggressive ants. They are formidable, and just. Keep. Coming. Ants are evolved versions of wasps, then there are termites, and other similar colony groups.  
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:56 am
Happy Memorial Day! smile  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:34 am
Mine was . . . not quite as happeh. Oh well.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 3966 3967 3968 3969 3970 3971 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games