Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
"Oh, my God!" Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kharybuce

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:56 pm
Yes! We must spread the science explatives. xd  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:55 pm
I just say "gesundheit" whenever someone sneezes.. I feel uncomfortable saying 'bless you' for some reason.

I also feel uncomfortable for not posting here earlier... xd

edit: oh, almost forgot about cursing.. I don't mind hearing 'Jesus-something-or-other-Christ' and stuff, but I prefer to use four-letter expletives myself. 'Holy' curses are fun, too.  

Alberic of Krufton

Nuclear Werewolf

jkmetal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:38 pm
If I am pissed I'll either wtf, s**t, or something else. Sometimes, if occasion calls for it, I will say Jesus ******** Christ in Hell.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:55 pm
When I sneeze and someone says "Bless you" I reply with "Lotta help that will do."

But, I just say "Excuse you" When someone else sneezes.

Or nothing at all.

And, as to "OH MY GOD!"

I say it all the time. No need NOT to say it.  

Dom is Dom

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:25 pm
It is every outspoken Atheist's duty to blaspheme as many gods as possible while still making it look natural. XD  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:44 pm
Quite true that everyday swearing such as 'god dammit' and 'oh my god' seem to have lost it's religious influence, I say it out of pure habit. Amd I also say 'excuse you' when someone sneezes as well. Love what you said about 'lotta help that will do' Dom. Quite Pwnful. 3nodding

Doctor Salt

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:26 am
My favorite one is "Holy Assholes!"

I use it lots. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:14 pm
I used to say "bless you" when someone sneezed. Recently I've goten into the habbit of saying "gesundheit".  

Zambimaru

_C r y s t a l_RB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:27 am
I do say them. I can't say that the the connotations isn't in the back of my mind when I do say them though. I say "bless you" when people sneeze because it just seems like the respectful thing to say.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:21 am
I use 'tabernack' a lot... it's a religious swear. Sure it's French, but it works.
Gesundheit.
Robatussen. I probably spelled that wrong...
Oh my gosh annoys me.
"Heck is for those people that don't believe in Gosh."
That annoys me to no end.  

Superior Jazz

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:38 pm
I say "Jesus H Christ" a lot. Dunno why. And I also say "Oh my gods...." My friend asked me once why I said the H and I couldn't really tell her why. I said its cause it sounded better than saying "Jesus T Christ." but she just looked at me funny. And when I say "Oh my gods..." Around one of my friends she gets really mad and says "You're not a Pagan Kelsey, stop it." Uh... I went through a pagan phase? I dunno... Don't see why people get so upset about it really....

You know what drives me batty? When the radio bleeps out god in songs but keeps b***h. hmmm......  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:10 pm
Dead Daisies
I remember in 6th grade that my friend would always correct me about that,

"Its Oh my, gosh. Not, Oh my, God"

It used to bug the s**t out of me scream

Yeah, this one kid who always had to have it his way yelled at me for saying "Oh my God."

And when I was over my friend's house for a project, one of my other friends/groupmates kept on saying "Oh my God!" in front of the first friend and the first friend's mother, and because they're like really religious, her mom kept on saying, "It's 'Oh my GOSH,'" to my other friend. neutral  

RavenneSammy

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:31 pm
Is 'damn' considered a real curse? Even though it's considered profanity which is a religious term?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:10 pm
Using phrases such as "God dammit" or "Jesus!" feels weird. I don't use them because it just seems so awkward.

Sanguvixen

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:12 pm
Levis Pennae
Is 'damn' considered a real curse? Even though it's considered profanity which is a religious term?

Well, I think the original meaning of it when used was in reference to damning someone to hell. Somehow the meaning really hasn't changed has it? "Damn you" is the same thing as saying "Condemn you", only the connotations are similar to saying "Go to hell".

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Damn

Does that help?

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas