Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Are there any Republicans here? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jessica Malatori

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:53 pm
AnonymouZ
HOly ******** s**t. I am at loss of words for reading half of this thread. I always thought atheist republicans were a myth.... i mean... hotdamn, i had to remind myself that you guys don't believe in gods, so that i could go on and continue reading.

For serious.

But... i guess it's just the usual shock people have when they get acquainted with something they know nothing about. right?

Anywho, all i have to say is liberals are conservatives in disguise, and conservatives are FAR-right conservatives. At least, that is what (most of) the rest of the world sees in american politics.

So in that sense, i am a global liberal. Which includes some religious connotations from the right, but with a mind to ask and watch out for someone stepping on your civil/human rights and to FIGHT to get them back.

Really? That's understandable. We are a rare breed.

I like being apart of a minority, but at the same time it gets kind of lonely. xd  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:51 pm
Mitt Romney? I mean he's a nice guy and all, but...really? Someone whose religious sect says that marriage should not be devalued by homosexual unions but doesn't mind polygamy? A sect which took it as an article of faith until 1965 that black people were inferior and weren't allowed to serve in the church? Creepy.

And Rudy...he's a shill. Highest bidder kinda guy. A dude who said at a press hearing that though he doesn't oppose gay marriage, he'll stand by the beliefs of his party if it will secure his position in the White House. Yeesh.

c_c

I'm gonna go hide from the Reds, now.  

Theophrastus

Xx_Penquin_xX

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:54 pm
I, myself, am a libertarian. =3
And I think Bush, sucks. domokun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:10 pm
Theophrastus
Mitt Romney? I mean he's a nice guy and all, but...really? Someone whose religious sect says that marriage should not be devalued by homosexual unions but doesn't mind polygamy? A sect which took it as an article of faith until 1965 that black people were inferior and weren't allowed to serve in the church? Creepy.

And Rudy...he's a shill. Highest bidder kinda guy. A dude who said at a press hearing that though he doesn't oppose gay marriage, he'll stand by the beliefs of his party if it will secure his position in the White House. Yeesh.

c_c

I'm gonna go hide from the Reds, now.

I don't know how I feel. Part of me has great sympathy for Mitt. He's running for office, and all people seem to criticize him for is his faith. There's this weird kind of empathy I feel towards him. I totally know how he feels.

As for Rudy, I do admire him for his pro-choice views. I mean, he's against them personally, but he recognizes that abortion needs to be legal, faith be damned. He's getting criticized on the Red side for it, but I say "Go, Rudy!" Someone who recognizes that faith has no place in a secular government.

Buuuuut... I'm probably still gonna vote for Hillary. twisted  

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150

Harvested Sorrow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:59 pm
I guess I'd qualify. According to the Political Compass test I'm quite liberal socially, however, due to the utterly ridiculous views democrats tend to hold on gun control and welfare I'm forced to vote conservative, typically.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:48 am
What a great thread!

So let's go from the beginning: Atheist Republicans?

The assumption (and not that starting with an assumption is bad; just a question, and questions deserve answers) is that perhaps Republicans are all God-fearing, Bible-thumpers. But, what is also assumed is that there are two parties (Republican and Democrat), and that the other party (Democrat) is by default atheist.

We have since learned that there are Republicans who are atheists (or vice versa if you prefer) and that there are also people who are Libertarians and Independents.

We have also seen that there is a question about whether or not someone votes and whether or not they have a right to voice an opinion (I really want to bite into that one, but I think it is another topic for a different thread).

What I do think is relevant to this thread, this topic, is that politics and belief are not necessarily tied at the hip as some people would have us believe. I do believe that religious extremists in many countries have tried to tie politics and superstitious belief together, and this is most definitely to their benefit.

"Hey, if you are conservative, you also have to support my religion, don't you know."

This is a complete lie. Your socio-political views should not have to be tied to support of religion. It need not be so, regardless of how prevalent it has become.

Speaking of prevalence, in England, the monarch (king or queen) is not only the figurative head of state but also the head of the Church of England. Likewise, in Japan, the Emperor is also the head of the Shinto faith. Taxes paid to support those heads of state not only support their socio-political role, but also their religious role and function. And in the U.S., more and more we see religious institutions seeking the same sort of official support (money and recognition). Simply look at how many members of the current administration's political appointees are graduates of Pat Robertson's "college" to get a frightening look at how religion is becoming and official part of American politics. Frankly, it frightens and angers me all at the same time.

Oh, as to whether I am Republican or Democrat or Libertarian or any political party? Why would anyone make up their mind on an issue before they have heard the facts?  

Rohkaze

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces