A place for anyone who enjoys a good book 

Tags: reading, writing, books, roleplay, discussion 

Reply Other Genres
A Series of Unfortunate Events Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you read Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events?
  Of course!
  Are they good? I don't know...
  Nah, they look stupid.
View Results

irock708

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:41 pm
Ahahahaha... I remember ASOUE. It was one of my first major obsessions as a young OCD-ish middle schooler. Ahaha. Good times.

But anyways. ASOUE is definitely a good read for just about anyone who can read. I know a twenty-one year old who's into the series. But, yeah. What I think is the thing that grabs its reader's attention (and keeps it planted there, firmly) are the mysteries. Just wanting to know what VFD stands for would make one want to go read from beginning to end, just to get clues about what it could mean. Ahahaha. I'll be the first to admit, I was one of those kids who actually had a commonplace book and actually re-read the books 3-5 times, jotting down notes about quotes. Ahaha. I laugh about it now because I was such a kid back then. But it was really great.

If anyone wants to talk about the theories, mysteries, etc. etc., I'm always up for it. It's been a while since I got all ASOUE-obsessed with anyone. *cracks fingers*

But, penandpaper. ASOUE isn't really realistic fiction... Far from it, I'd say.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:15 am
Yes I know, that move was an accident. I'll be putting it in other genres now.  

penandpaper67
Captain

Calypsorchid

5,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:11 pm
Ah, yes. I had a group in my old school, and we would have our own VFD meetings...

Yeah, so, anyways, I was a geek....  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:02 pm
June Chipmunk
Ah, yes. I had a group in my old school, and we would have our own VFD meetings...

Yeah, so, anyways, I was a geek....

Haha, that's awesome! XD

I wasn't sure if my friends who liked ASOUE were super hardcore the way I was, so we never discussed theories or anything... And that's what internet forums are for! biggrin !  

irock708

Calypsorchid

5,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:24 pm
Yeah, it was pretty awesome...
*slaps self* Okay, I'm out of it!
Who's your favorite character? I think mine's violet. I identify really well with her, or Olaf, because he cracks me up mrgreen  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:17 pm
Klaus is my favorite. I immediately liked him from the very beginning. The way he always had a book in front of his nose, it made me feel like he was my twin brother. And he was around my age when I started reading the books, too, so that was another plus XD

I also like Sunny. I like food, she likes food. It goes hand-in-hand. And I like Quigley, too!  

irock708

Kipluck

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:31 pm
Oh I am a HUGE fan of ALL OF THEM... and I am 28. His style cracks me up and I love the random literary references through out. Snicket is like delicious brain candy for an English Major! blaugh  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:19 pm
Wow! That's the oldest aged person I've seen that likes ASOUE! Not to make you sound old or anything... >.<  

irock708

Kipluck

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:48 pm
irock708
Wow! That's the oldest aged person I've seen that likes ASOUE! Not to make you sound old or anything... >.<
SURE, cover your tracks NOW... I'll chase you with my walker and prune juice and not give you any hard candy ninja  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:08 pm
eek Prune Juice? I never really understood that. It's like raisin juice. It just doens't work...

Oh yeah, and Mr.Poe! I loved him, because every time he comes along, either something else bad happens, or the Baudelaires get misunderstood. Every single time.  

Calypsorchid

5,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

irock708

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:38 pm
Haha, I lol whenever I hear "Mr. Poe." The reference to Edgar Allan Poe = simply genius xD  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:52 pm
Isn't Edgar and Allan his kids? If they are, that's pretty awesome...  

Calypsorchid

5,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:03 pm
I think so. That's pretty cool!  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:00 pm
Yeah, they are, haha. Although the real Poe had such a sad personal life...  

irock708

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:22 am
I found another Poe reference in The Vile Village. I knew when I read The Murders in the Rue Morgue for school, the name Dupin sounded familiar... I didn't connect the dots until I made the thread for it in the mystery subforum... Count Olaf disguises himself as Detective Dupin in The Vile Village. In the aforementioned short story, Dupin is also a detective, although he is a much different type of person.  
Other Genres

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff