Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
::Resident Evil - Member REviews:: Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Canas Renvall
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:48 pm
Well, I'll get permission from the contributor before I edit it, but thanks for bringing it to my attention. razz  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:41 am
Oh man, I really need strap down and do a few reviews, I'm captain here and I have nothing to show for.

*Pencils down in notebook.*  

MM-212 Beta
Captain

Yuuri Amaya

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:31 pm
imma make the re outbreak file 2!  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:05 pm
Finally, new life is breathed into the thread! Thanks, Ken! Be sure to check out his Outbreak: File #2 review. biggrin  

Canas Renvall
Vice Captain

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:02 pm
Umm... I don't know if this will help any, or if anyone's really interested... but as someone who owns just about every port of the games, I have a little something to contribute on which console versions are the best one's to get.

Resident Evil (Classic) - I can't speak on the Dreamcast version of this game, because it doesn't exist (It says in your review that it's available on Dreamcast; you should take that out). And the DS is a portable version, so I will not be including that either. I will be comparing the Director's Cut and the Saturn versions of the game. The Directors Cut has many more features than the original version, but it was botched as there were supposed to be many more additional scenes that still didn't make it into the game (Extended opening, Chris Smoking, Kenneth's dismembered head falling to the floor as he's being devoured, (Interestingly enough, that scene was featured in the DS version), etc.). However, the Saturn Version contains a battle game that's not available on any other version, which features a zombie Wekser, although the Saturn version's graphics are not quite as good as the Playstation's. Some of the transparency effects look horrid. However, the character models actually look better on Saturn. And there's not so much of that graphical clipping that's so predominant in the Playstation's polygonal graphics.
Best Version: Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PSX) - This version wins due to the extra features, outfits, modes, and better graphics. But if you want a Battle Game, look no further than the Saturn version.

Resident Evil 2 - The Dual Shock Version for the Playstation offered many features that were not available in the original game. These features were quite similar to the one's offered in Resident Evil Director's Cut. The N64 version, however, was packed with many exclusive features of it own: The Rearrange Mode (adds a lot of replay value) and Ex-Files. However, there was no Extreme Battle Game in the N64 version, and the cutscenes looked and sounded horrid. The Dreamcast version includes all the features of the Dual Shock, but with greatly enhanced and polished graphics over it's PSX counterpart. The character models are polished to a shine, and graphical clipping is virtually non-existent. Furthermore, it has a few noteworthy exclusive features of it's own: a Movie Viewer (where you can watch all the cutscenes, full-screen and crystal clear), Character Model Viewer (where you can view all the character models used in the game. It's pretty neat getting to examine all the details on some of the monsters), Concept Art Viewer (self-explanatory). It is also much easier to unlock the mini games in this version for some weird reason, and it sports the best graphics of all the console ports. Then we have the Gamecube version, which was a very sloppy, rushed port. It features all the enhancements of the Dual Shock version, but nothing else. Graphics are considerably worse than the Dreamcast version. The graphical clipping on Leon's knees creates an annoying flickering effect. Cutscenes are not full-screen, and are considerably grainy.
Best Version: Resident Evil 2 (Dreamcast) - This version wins because it has the best graphics and features of any of the ports. N64 gets an honorable mention, but you can just read the extra files online or in RE3. It's also interesting to note that the Dreamcast port of RE2 (as well as RE3) retailed at $20, while the considerably inferior port for Gamecube retailed for $40.

Resident Evil 3 - There's three console versions of RE3: PSX, Dreamcast, and Gamecube. None of them really feature any special enhancements over the other. In the Dreamcast version, you start out with all of Jill's unlockable outfits, and get to choose which to wear right at the very start of the game. You also start out with the Mercenaries mini game without having to unlock it. Whether this is a good or a bad thing is up to you to decide. The Dreamcast Version also has enhanced graphics over the Playstation version, but the character models are strangely wavy, and the zombies in particular have a lot of graphical clipping. The Gamecube version is exactly the same as the Playstation version, but it features the best and most vibrant graphics of all of the ports, with minimal graphical clipping. The cutscenes also look better, and seem to move more fluidly than the other versions.
Best Version: Resident Evil 3 (Gamecube) - This version wins because it has the best graphics of all the ports.

Resident Evil Code Veronica - This originally released for the Dreamcast, but was re-released as Code Veronica X on the PS2 with some minor enhancements/alterations. Steve Burnside's hairstyle is tweaked to make him look a little less like a Leonardo DiCaprio wannabe, and two new scenes featuring Wesker were also added. If you pre-ordered the game on PS2, it came with Wesker's Report as an added bonus. There is no difference between the PS2 and Gamecube versions.
Best Version/s: Resident Evil: Code Veronica X (PS2, Gamecube) - These versions win because of the added content over the original Code Veronica on the Dreamcast.

Resident Evil 4 - Well, as always when you buy an RE game that releases "exclusive" to a specific console, they go ahead and put it out on another console less than a year later... with extra features. -_- Such is the same case with RE4 on Gamecube as RE:CV on Dreamcast. They were each released on the PS2 later, with extra features. In the PS2 version of RE4, you get the extra Ada missions/side-quest, weapons, and outfits. The graphics are slightly better on the Gamecube, but due to the extras, once again, the PS2 version wins out over the original. But then there's the Wii version, which adds a whole new level on interactivity to the game. I had so much fun with the Wii version, that I actually played the whole game the entire way through again, even though I had beaten it to death on Gamecube. The Wii version also includes the extras that were added into the PS2 port.
Best Version: Resident Evil 4 (Wii) - This version wins because of the extra features, enhanced graphics over the PS2 version, as well as a fun new game mechanic. However, if you're not fond of the Wiimote, just stick with the PS2 version.

Hope this helped.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:11 pm
I didn't the Dreamcast version of RE2 had all that extra stuff.

I'm definitely adding it to my wishlist now. 3nodding

Edit: Where's Zero?! eek  

MadamTarantula

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:20 pm
Yeah, you'll have to beat it a couple of times to unlock each one of the character models and stuff, but there's an easy infinite ammo cheat you could use to just walk through it. 3nodding

RE0? I thought the only version was the Gamecube version...? Unless you're talking about the N64 version... but that was never released. xd  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:53 pm
Canas Renvall
Resident Evil: Survivor (Playstation, PC)
Note: Resident Evil: Survivor is on the PC only in Japan.

Correction: Survivor and Survivor 2 is on PS2/PSX. [I know b/c I have them both on PlayStation]
Survivor and Survivor 2 has similarities with Dead Aim and you were able to use the GunCon with it.

PC version was a flop and taken off the market.  

Madam Punkarella

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:59 pm
But it was still available at one point. And it's not like the PS1 version wasn't a flop.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:06 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
But it was still available at one point. And it's not like the PS1 version wasn't a flop.

Actually it wasn't a flop.
There is RE Survivor arcade machines in the Arcades.
They were both really good games, it flopped on the PC
because you couldn't use a GunCon (or any other gun
controller on the PC).  

Madam Punkarella

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:12 pm
The arcade machines were for Survivor 2, though. Survivor 1 was for PS1 and PC, and it did pretty badly, sales and review wise.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:15 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
The arcade machines were for Survivor 2, though. Survivor 1 was for PS1 and PC, and it did pretty badly, sales and review wise.

O_O
You want to argue about this with me?  

Madam Punkarella

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:19 pm
Well, I do know my Resident Evil.

Survivor for PS1 sold just barely over a 1/4 million units worldwide, that's not that impressive. I'd consider it a flop, anyway.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:20 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Well, I do know my Resident Evil.

Survivor for PS1 sold just barely over a 1/4 million units worldwide, that's not that impressive. I'd consider it a flop, anyway.

It only sold that much because it was Japanese only and they wouldn't make
any dub or sub versions.  

Madam Punkarella

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:22 pm
Umm.... We're talking about Resident Evil Survivor. The first one, for PS1. The one that has the North American version available...
The PC version was Japan only. But the PS1 version was released in the US. I have it.  
::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff