Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
How do you deal with people who try and give you pamphlets? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I think it's because
  I just plain don't care about or like religion.
View Results

Jackbedead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:45 pm
.No.Use.Fo. A.Name.
Niveous
.No.Use.Fo. A.Name.
With pamphlets and obviously religious things being offred, I'm fine to say no politely, and I will yell at them if they don't leave me alone. And I don't feel the least bit uncomfortable about it.

But sometimes, people will have me in a conversation, before I realise they have the intentions of converting me, I start to feel uncomfortable, and less bold about it. I remember a Christian group asked me if I wanted to do a survey. I agreed, after they asked what music I was listening to, and we discussed the band before the survey.
And the whole thing, was like, preaching, disguised as a survey. All the questions were more like an attempt to "save" people, then a way of getting data or information. I was pissed off, but I was actually uncomfortable, and found it difficult, because I kept having to re-justify my atheism, over and over again. I was extremely diplomatic that day.

Being surrounded by a large group makes it harder to get your own thoughts across without feeling at least a little intimidated.

I also noticed JW come in pairs. Probably safety in numbers.

But I had fun when they came to my door. I quietly listened to wat they had to say and then stated,

"Have you read the Good Book of Nietzsche?" And proceeded to tell them about the concept of over man and to value and respect independent thought.

They were nice enough to listen at least.

Maybe so, but I wasn't intimidated the day my cousin and eight of her friends (most of them were leaders of a Christian youth group) were asking me questons about why I "lost faith".

That explains why they go around in pairs.

That's a good idea, I've always just gotten annoyed with them, I never turned it back the other way and told them about what I believe. At least they were nice enough to listen.

I think I was actually reading about Friedrich Nietzsche the other day, and his statement "God is Dead". Isn't he a nihilist? I've just started finding out about nihilism, it's interesting, but I don't completely understand it.

yes, nihilism is very, very interesting. I've never met anyone who was a true nihilist, but close. nihilists literally believe in nothing. not god, not the devil, not other people, not ANYTHING. to me it sounds like a very bleak existence, but it is fascinating to see their mindset.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:04 am
Jackbedead
.No.Use.Fo. A.Name.
Niveous
.No.Use.Fo. A.Name.
With pamphlets and obviously religious things being offred, I'm fine to say no politely, and I will yell at them if they don't leave me alone. And I don't feel the least bit uncomfortable about it.

But sometimes, people will have me in a conversation, before I realise they have the intentions of converting me, I start to feel uncomfortable, and less bold about it. I remember a Christian group asked me if I wanted to do a survey. I agreed, after they asked what music I was listening to, and we discussed the band before the survey.
And the whole thing, was like, preaching, disguised as a survey. All the questions were more like an attempt to "save" people, then a way of getting data or information. I was pissed off, but I was actually uncomfortable, and found it difficult, because I kept having to re-justify my atheism, over and over again. I was extremely diplomatic that day.

Being surrounded by a large group makes it harder to get your own thoughts across without feeling at least a little intimidated.

I also noticed JW come in pairs. Probably safety in numbers.

But I had fun when they came to my door. I quietly listened to wat they had to say and then stated,

"Have you read the Good Book of Nietzsche?" And proceeded to tell them about the concept of over man and to value and respect independent thought.

They were nice enough to listen at least.

Maybe so, but I wasn't intimidated the day my cousin and eight of her friends (most of them were leaders of a Christian youth group) were asking me questons about why I "lost faith".

That explains why they go around in pairs.

That's a good idea, I've always just gotten annoyed with them, I never turned it back the other way and told them about what I believe. At least they were nice enough to listen.

I think I was actually reading about Friedrich Nietzsche the other day, and his statement "God is Dead". Isn't he a nihilist? I've just started finding out about nihilism, it's interesting, but I don't completely understand it.

yes, nihilism is very, very interesting. I've never met anyone who was a true nihilist, but close. nihilists literally believe in nothing. not god, not the devil, not other people, not ANYTHING. to me it sounds like a very bleak existence, but it is fascinating to see their mindset.

Yes, I think I maybe I like nihilism, without being an actual nihilist. How exactly do they believe nothing exists? I thought they just believed that nothing they did mattered, because there is no God.
It seems like it would be very liberating, and at the same time, really harsh to have that mindset.  

x__Death-Of-Glitter__x

Xiporah

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:54 am
I thought nihilism was not that you don't believe in anything, but nothing has meaning. There is no meaning to life, no meaning or purpose to the things we see, eat, do, worship, because we're just going to die anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:41 pm
Xiporah
I thought nihilism was not that you don't believe in anything, but nothing has meaning. There is no meaning to life, no meaning or purpose to the things we see, eat, do, worship, because we're just going to die anyway.

Yes that is a better way of putting it. I didn't mean they don't believe in people as in they literally do not believe that humans exist. They just think that absolutely nothing matters, no matter what.  

Jackbedead

Sors

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:13 pm
Sors
OMG Xippy I haven't been in here for ages. xD
Thanks for reminding me.

I either: Except the pamphlet gracefully, read it, draw pictures or corrections on it, and give it back. OR I refuse, tell them I'm and atheist and then ignore them.
User Image  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:36 pm
I usually just accept the pamphlet and look it over a bit while the person is still around. As soon as they leave I toss it or leave it somewhere.  

sora987

ellell89

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:26 pm
I always take them, and am quite polite about it I don't bother telling them i'm an atheist, they are just doing what they think is right, so I take the pamphlet...and then throw it in the bin at home.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:07 pm
When I was in middle school, each year there was a christian person out where the buses drop us off at school... well the person would try to hand everyone a pamphlet... I dont think they should be allowed to do that, and actually one year seciruity confronted the person and made them leave... and before the guy turned around and left he gave the sicurity guard a pamphlet... it was kinda funny really... well at the time.

However really in that situation there aint much you can do except to accept it, say no thanks, or walk away (or if they are really persistant, run) but yah basically thats it.  

Deaths asistant

Kitsune Tokala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:29 am
I usually say No thanks, I'm an Atheist and walk away. On one occasion the guy tried to follow me and expel my demons. I told him to get lost or I'd call campus security to expell him the f*&^ to jail. Needless to say, he left in a hurry. At my old college we used to have JW hand out prayer books ever few months, which was crap because it was a state university. evil  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:51 pm
I say 'No thanks, I don't need it." and if they persist or ask 'Are you saved?' I'll take the pamphlet and nibble on it and loudly proclaim "THANKS, YOU SAVED ME FROM SOME SEVERE HUNGER PANGS.", drop the pamphlet and walk off. After that I ignore them; I've had my fun by then x3  

Missuhs Bunneh

Zekeachu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:46 am
Hasn't happened to me yet, but if it did, I'd either throw it away or drop it immediately, while they can still see me. One less person who has to get one handed to them.

Oh, and nihilism is pretty much thinking the world has no meaning, and has no point. They see it from the "Everything is pointless so why do anything?" perspective, instead of the "Everything is pointless, so might as well screw around some before I go" perspective.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:39 pm
I always just politely take the pamphlet and say "Thank You".

They don't know that I'll throw it away when I'm out of their sight, and they feel that they've spread some good in the world.

Everybody wins. biggrin  

I Was The Moon

Dvampirex

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:44 am
Ok first off let me sate this bit of info about myself to make the rest of this seem clearer. Personally I believe that no one should bash a religion that they know nothing about therefore I've studied them all ( and i do mean all minus some variants of some ( still working on the Russian Catholic Variant)

Well living where I do, its an uphill battle with the religious groups around here so sit tight this is gonna be long, But generally it bases off of just a few key part that determine the response.

Persistence, Attitude, Location, My Attitude, and the religion there pushing.

A general nice one. being "No Thank You"

Now if that one doesn't work. but there nice,and Im feeling nice. " Sorry but im already part of a religion" ( Although i think Ive only ever used that one twice, Im not a nice person)

Generally its one of the many others im about to list.

silent death glare ( provided its one of the few times im not wearing my sunglasses)

("Dark Harbinger of Darkness , May you desecrate this fools soul for he know not the fear he should have of me") Spoken in Satanic Tongue

Someone else will warn the person to go away.

They look at me and dont bother to even try (Like that ever happens except the times i have headphone on Blaring so loud they know i cant hear them)

There is one more main one i use but its not of good nature, so I think ill omit it from this list.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:18 pm
If I see them coming to the door, I just don't answer it. If I do feel like answering:

1) "I don't speak English"/"No speak English"/"I no speak English" with a heavy accent, usually a Russian, Swedish, or German one. (Or some wierd one that I made up that sounds like a Japanese transvestite or something...) ninja
2) Just stand there in the doorway, staring at them. eek
3) "...well Allah loves you more. I think you should convert...." biggrin
4) "I'm athiest." stare
5) "No, have YOU been saved yet?" *hands them recipies folded like pamphlets or old school work folded like pamphlets* dramallama
6) "Your tie is crooked, and that last sentance was grammaticaly incorrect. evil You have offended me. Leave now before I call security."
7) "Excuse me but, do you know who I am?" *death stare down*

Once my friend saw some Mormons coming down the street with baskets full of papers, so he ran inside and put on one of his band T-shirts that had a huge pentagram on the back. When they came to his house he said "okay let me go get my mom" and turned around and walked down the hall so they could see the T-shirt's back. xd They dropped a heap of fliars at the door and ran.  

Henneth Annun

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:09 am
Dude, that is awesome.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items