Welcome to Gaia! ::

Veni Vidi Vici

Back to Guilds

A poll guild for fun-lovers, RPers, craziness, and hippies. 

Tags: poll, games 

Reply RP Lounge
Crossroad Travern- Wanderers and Travelers Welcomed Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

welcome ye

View Results

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:39 am
*laughs and spears the pancakes with a fork* I think not. I'm not what you might call a "joiner." I have had dealings with groups like yours in the past, and they generally turn out to be rather corrupt at the highest levels. I'm sure you have complete faith in your comrades, but it has been my experience that no one is to be trusted completely. But perhaps you would be interested in changing my mind. If I could meet with some of your associates and discern their character, it might give me a different perspective. Could that be arranged? *raises one eyebrow and sips the wine*  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:12 pm
Most businesses are corrupt at least a little. But sence prices vary from town to town. You yourself must be aware of the economic condition of the area, so as to make sure that you only agree to trades that would bring profit. Like for example, buying spices from a town that has an abundance of them so the price will be low, and then sell it in a town that is short on it so the price will be higher then what you paid for them. And in return, buy something cheap from that town, and sell it high in the next one. And so on, and so on. That is the goal of any merchant. If you travel a lot the buying and selling price will be fair for that town. You just make a profit by knowing which town to sell in. It may seem underhanded, but this is how the system works.

As for meeting my associates...
Nothing would need to be arranged.
Simply walk into one of our Trading Branches, and start asking questions. Merchants are always open to the idea for starting new business contracts. We do however like to obtain said contracts in the form of signed agreements in the precence of a trusted witness for business arrangements that won't come to fruition for a while. The contract must list in detail the agreement itself, as well as be signed by both parties, and the witness. It will be kept in the Contract House, and copies given to the main parties. It may seem complex, but it is another way to protect ourselves against being cheated. As long as you are careful and are very selective about what you agree upon, then you will almost always make a profit, even if just a small one.

~takes another bite of pancake~

xwhateverxdudex

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:40 pm
There's nothing wrong with making a profit. But there are many ways to be corrupt. There are also many ways to screw up a business contract. Tell me, how many people have you seen take out a perfectly legal contract with your trading union without truly understanding what they were getting themselves into? Do you explain each minor detail to them or just assume that they know what they're doing? Do you arrange deals with people who would obviously not profit by these deals?

*turns to the innkeeper* Could I trouble you for some strawberries if you have some? I know they're not in season, but they're my favorite.

*scrutinizes her pancakes and continues speaking to the traveler* Regardless of all that, I am curious about your union. I would be glad to take you on a tour of the woods in this area and on to the nearest town. Once I have learned more about you and your people, I'll be able to tell you what I expect in payment. I'm sure you'll find it reasonable.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:28 pm
Yes ma'am *leaves and brings back a basket of strawberries* there you go *sets them on the table*  

Tybarious

xwhateverxdudex

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:40 pm
It is a rule of my union to make sure that each and ever contract that is created, is completely understood by all parties involved. Though for the most part, the only people that take out contract with other merchants, are merchants themselves that also know how a contract is created. Most of the contracts that are made, are made with other unions. This is because most individuals prefer "agreements" that don't last that long. As for myself, I would rather not make an agreement, or a contract with someone that didn't know what they are doing, because if they do something stupid, I could just as easily take a loss. But of course, I can only speak for myself.

As a merchant that worries about future profits, I must say that I feel uneasy about debts that are not decided before the agreement is set in motion. You could very well turn around and say that I owe you 25% of my income for the next 3 years. For example, not literally of course. And then I would have no choice but to agree to the demand, because technically, I did agree to it. It's not that I'm saying that you're untrustworthy, but rather, that I do not know enough about your character to make that kind of decision right now. I'm sure you understand. If I had to make a choice right now, then I would have to respectfully decline your offer. I'm sorry, but it would be unwise for me to make such a decision so fast.

Ah yes, I could use a bit more in my stomach. I thank you for your hospitality and this grand feast my friend. BTW, here are 5 more coins for another night at your great establishment. ~hands over the coins~
It will take a few nights actually to map the area, but I pay by day, so I'm not at a great loss if I were suddenly needing to leave due to some unforseen event.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:10 pm
*takes the coins and puts them in his pockets* You're welcome, We enjoy having travels come through these parts.  

Tybarious

xwhateverxdudex

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:53 pm
If I can map out the area well enough, even more travelers will be coming through.

Might I trouble you for a drink?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:14 pm
Thank you, sir. *munches on strawberries for a few minutes*

I completely understand, Mr. Lawrence. And to show that I am a person of honor myself, I would like to make you this counter-offer: Agree to employing me as your guide, and we will both evaluate one other on the journey. If, at the end of our time together, you have decided that I am truly untrustworthy, we will go our separate ways, and you will pay me nothing. On the other hand, if you turn out to be the dishonorable one, I have ways of ensuring that disreputable customers pay what they owe. If we are both satisfied with one another's character, however, I can assure you that my fee will be acceptable to you. Additionally, I am usually open to negotiation. This agreement might seem vague, but as it leaves both of us vulnerable to the other's personal bias, I think it's fair.

purpleravenhawk
Captain

RP Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas