Submit

The_Ky-Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:02 pm
KyuubiNaruto4
The_Ky-Guy
KyuubiNaruto4
The_Ky-Guy
KyuubiNaruto4

So let me get this straight. If I change what a button does on a game my controller sucks? Interesting guess I'll have to tell quite a few companies that the games they made for GCN should be changed so I don't have to change what button does what to suit my specifications.

I phrased that argument all wrong. Let me rephrase it.

Super Metroid still sucks with the Gamecube Controller, and I've got a good argument against yours. True, just because you have to reconfigure the controls doesn't mean it sucks. What does suck, however, is the fact that you have to go through a tedious trial-and-error process to find a control scheme that even works with the Gamecube Controller without it feeling awkward. It's that fact that makes it as frustrating as using the Gamecube Controller for SNES games in the first place.

And yeah, I've tried various schemes to prove that point, and out of all the schemes, yours was the only one that really worked. But, to be jerk, I proved that even your control scheme is playable enough on the Classic Controller. Then again, may I ask a second time, who really has ever reconfigured the controls on that game?

On a side note, I've tried Super Mario RPG on the GCN controller, and I came up with a list of conclusions:
1.) Navigating with the thumbstick really isn't that much better than using the control pad, and even if it is, it's hardly an argument against the Classic Controller as it has thumbsticks as well.
2.) Navigating with them Gamecube Controller is an awkward experience when you want to run and jump, not only because is the "Y" button further away from the "B" button on the Gamecube than the Classic Controller, it's also almost directly across the big, honkin' "A" button from the absolutely tiny "B" button. That is not so on either the SNES controller or the Classic Controller.
3.) The battle scenes are the least awkward on the Gamecube controller, but it still feels mildly so, because the "ABXY" button alignment is not in the shape of a diamond, unlike (*ahem*) the SNES controller and the Classic Controller. You'll still be hitting the wrong commands on occasion.

1. I use alternate between the thumbstick and d-pad. Just depends on what I am doing jumping holes or just going from point A to point B.

2. I have found two ways to do the whole run and jump both aren't that damn hard considering you are only using three(four if you are picky) buttons to move around on the map. Y to run, B to jump, A to talk, X to go to the menu. BUT only two of those are ever used in conjunction with each other and that is Y and B. So there are two ways that are not uncomfortable I know since I use them both.

2a. Use only your thumb. Hold it on the left most part of the Y button(now you can run). Then if you want to jump just move your thumb to the left. Bam now you are jumping and running. As a added bonus you also press the A button if you want instead of B.

2b. Pointer Finger and Thumb(middle is on R). Pointer goes on Y and Thumb on B. Simple you were given 5 fingers use them. I use this one more than 2a.

3. You do know the buttons were given their distinctive shapes because people couldn't tell which button was which right? Small B button, big A button, bean horizontal Y, and bean vertical X.

I have reconfigured the controls twice for Super Metriod. Once to play it with a GCN controller and the second time to play it with a keyboard. Both times I did not have any trouble beating it. The only trouble I have with the game is wall jumps but then again I had trouble doing it when I played it on my SNES.

Try Gradius III will you reconfigure those I wonder. You only use the A and B buttons. B to shoot A to add a power up. I have reconfigured those when I played on SNES to Y shoot B power up much easier to press the start button after that.

1.) Well, it doesn't matter that much because I've used the directional pad for almost the entire game.

2a.) I have only used my thumb. In order to do all that, I still had to hold my thumb in a moderately uncomfortable vertical position rather than a more comfortable diagonal position. I also ended up touching the "A" button, which meant I could still press it accidentally. Sure, that might not pose a problem most of the time, but it could get annoying when you're next to a sign or a non-player character.

2b.) The whole having to use a pointer finger is part of the reason I hate using the Gamecube Controller for SNES games in the first place. That shouldn't be necessary for an SNES game because of the "ABXY" button alignment on an SNES controller.

3.) Is that really the reason Nintendo had that alignment for the Gamecube Controller? If so, then I have to say that I never really had that kind of problem for the most part. The only case where that was even a problem at all was the balloon toss mini game in Yoshi's Island, but only because those buttons weren't color-coded in the North American version. That eventually stopped being a problem, though.

And what about the Nintendo DS? That also had the SNES controllers button alignment.

And you said that you played an actual SNES, right? I shouldn't need to tell you that the Classic Controller is not only similarly-shaped to the SNES controller, but the button shapes and alignments are nearly-identical, to say the least, that is. With that in mind, the GCN Controller sucks in comparison with the Classic Controller.

On a side note: You can play Super Metroid on the Virtual Console with a keyboard?

EMULATOR MAN EMULATOR. I play GBA, SNES, N64, and PS1 games with a keyboard. Want me to give you a list of every single frickin game?

Also I give up. There is no way you will convince me to use a classic controller nor I convince you to use a GCN controller so there done thats it.

Deep down, I kinda figured that you were talking about emulators when you mentioned the keyboard. You were just a bit vague when you mentioned it, though.

Well, this argument was getting old anyway. Personally, I was starting to run out of ideas for what say.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:24 pm
The_Ky-Guy
KyuubiNaruto4
The_Ky-Guy
KyuubiNaruto4
The_Ky-Guy
KyuubiNaruto4

So let me get this straight. If I change what a button does on a game my controller sucks? Interesting guess I'll have to tell quite a few companies that the games they made for GCN should be changed so I don't have to change what button does what to suit my specifications.

I phrased that argument all wrong. Let me rephrase it.

Super Metroid still sucks with the Gamecube Controller, and I've got a good argument against yours. True, just because you have to reconfigure the controls doesn't mean it sucks. What does suck, however, is the fact that you have to go through a tedious trial-and-error process to find a control scheme that even works with the Gamecube Controller without it feeling awkward. It's that fact that makes it as frustrating as using the Gamecube Controller for SNES games in the first place.

And yeah, I've tried various schemes to prove that point, and out of all the schemes, yours was the only one that really worked. But, to be jerk, I proved that even your control scheme is playable enough on the Classic Controller. Then again, may I ask a second time, who really has ever reconfigured the controls on that game?

On a side note, I've tried Super Mario RPG on the GCN controller, and I came up with a list of conclusions:
1.) Navigating with the thumbstick really isn't that much better than using the control pad, and even if it is, it's hardly an argument against the Classic Controller as it has thumbsticks as well.
2.) Navigating with them Gamecube Controller is an awkward experience when you want to run and jump, not only because is the "Y" button further away from the "B" button on the Gamecube than the Classic Controller, it's also almost directly across the big, honkin' "A" button from the absolutely tiny "B" button. That is not so on either the SNES controller or the Classic Controller.
3.) The battle scenes are the least awkward on the Gamecube controller, but it still feels mildly so, because the "ABXY" button alignment is not in the shape of a diamond, unlike (*ahem*) the SNES controller and the Classic Controller. You'll still be hitting the wrong commands on occasion.

1. I use alternate between the thumbstick and d-pad. Just depends on what I am doing jumping holes or just going from point A to point B.

2. I have found two ways to do the whole run and jump both aren't that damn hard considering you are only using three(four if you are picky) buttons to move around on the map. Y to run, B to jump, A to talk, X to go to the menu. BUT only two of those are ever used in conjunction with each other and that is Y and B. So there are two ways that are not uncomfortable I know since I use them both.

2a. Use only your thumb. Hold it on the left most part of the Y button(now you can run). Then if you want to jump just move your thumb to the left. Bam now you are jumping and running. As a added bonus you also press the A button if you want instead of B.

2b. Pointer Finger and Thumb(middle is on R). Pointer goes on Y and Thumb on B. Simple you were given 5 fingers use them. I use this one more than 2a.

3. You do know the buttons were given their distinctive shapes because people couldn't tell which button was which right? Small B button, big A button, bean horizontal Y, and bean vertical X.

I have reconfigured the controls twice for Super Metriod. Once to play it with a GCN controller and the second time to play it with a keyboard. Both times I did not have any trouble beating it. The only trouble I have with the game is wall jumps but then again I had trouble doing it when I played it on my SNES.

Try Gradius III will you reconfigure those I wonder. You only use the A and B buttons. B to shoot A to add a power up. I have reconfigured those when I played on SNES to Y shoot B power up much easier to press the start button after that.

1.) Well, it doesn't matter that much because I've used the directional pad for almost the entire game.

2a.) I have only used my thumb. In order to do all that, I still had to hold my thumb in a moderately uncomfortable vertical position rather than a more comfortable diagonal position. I also ended up touching the "A" button, which meant I could still press it accidentally. Sure, that might not pose a problem most of the time, but it could get annoying when you're next to a sign or a non-player character.

2b.) The whole having to use a pointer finger is part of the reason I hate using the Gamecube Controller for SNES games in the first place. That shouldn't be necessary for an SNES game because of the "ABXY" button alignment on an SNES controller.

3.) Is that really the reason Nintendo had that alignment for the Gamecube Controller? If so, then I have to say that I never really had that kind of problem for the most part. The only case where that was even a problem at all was the balloon toss mini game in Yoshi's Island, but only because those buttons weren't color-coded in the North American version. That eventually stopped being a problem, though.

And what about the Nintendo DS? That also had the SNES controllers button alignment.

And you said that you played an actual SNES, right? I shouldn't need to tell you that the Classic Controller is not only similarly-shaped to the SNES controller, but the button shapes and alignments are nearly-identical, to say the least, that is. With that in mind, the GCN Controller sucks in comparison with the Classic Controller.

On a side note: You can play Super Metroid on the Virtual Console with a keyboard?

EMULATOR MAN EMULATOR. I play GBA, SNES, N64, and PS1 games with a keyboard. Want me to give you a list of every single frickin game?

Also I give up. There is no way you will convince me to use a classic controller nor I convince you to use a GCN controller so there done thats it.

Deep down, I kinda figured that you were talking about emulators when you mentioned the keyboard. You were just a bit vague when you mentioned it, though.

Well, this argument was getting old anyway. Personally, I was starting to run out of ideas for what say.

Had a few more but nothing that would really matter.  

KyuubiNaruto4

3,200 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200

HellChime

Dapper Noob

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:52 pm
Star Fox Adventure for Gamecube was nice.

Hunter the Reckoning was s**t hard, you had to be playing 2 or more people to beat that game, its WAAAY to hard to beat by yourself with all the zombies coming after you, and when you get to the boss, you have like 1 or 2 lives left and a little bit of health. it was just ridiculous....  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:16 pm
HellChime

Hunter the Reckoning was s**t hard, you had to be playing 2 or more people to beat that game, its WAAAY to hard to beat by yourself with all the zombies coming after you, and when you get to the boss, you have like 1 or 2 lives left and a little bit of health. it was just ridiculous....

Since when were those titles Virtual Console games?  

The_Ky-Guy

Ribbin

4,900 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:20 pm
The_Ky-Guy
HellChime

FAIIIIILLLLLL  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:09 pm
Ribbin
The_Ky-Guy
HellChime

FAIIIIILLLLLL

Fail, indeed.  

The_Ky-Guy

'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out