Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkle Motion - JULY 2012 - ON SUMMER BREAK

Back to Guilds

For Socialites, Fashionista's, and the generally Fabulous. 

Tags: Beauty, Learning, Fashion, Tutorials, Cooking 

Reply Entertainment Talk - Music - Books - Electronics - Movies - TV - Fan Rant & MORE!
✧The Book Room ✧ Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Books

✧✧
  ✧✧✧
View Results

watasefan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:38 pm
xena91388
Oooh! I'm jelly! gonk

Do they have books by Ray Bradbury free?

Unfortunately, no. The cheapest is $1.99 Lorelei of the Red Mist and The Creatures that Time Forgot. If you are curious about any other books the Barnes and Noble website lists the nook prices of books. Plus you can categorize them from lowest to highest price. However, do be careful with free books. They tend to be a poorer quality and have a lot of typos. Some to the point where they are not readable. Check the ratings!  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Wicked By Gregory Maguire People say the books to advance for me but It's really quite easy 3nodding  

Headmistress of Gallifrey

Distinct Businesswoman

3,300 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Signature Look 250

Mystic Moon Ampris

Beloved Shapeshifter

21,050 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:17 pm
if you love romance, look up Hannah Howell. The book I am reading of her collection is My Valiant Knight. It is witty, funny, full of romance and danger...I have to say I love Ainslee.She is a fiesty woman...and Sir Gabel is one of my favorite men in her books..what am I saying all of the men in her books are...lol  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:57 am
AquaticPisces
User Image

I'm curently reading Dark Flame by Alyson Noel.

Awws! I started the Immortal Series when it first came out and now I have all my friends into it. I still have to read Night Star and the last book and then I'll be done and be depressed. I loved the psychic aspects of it and the knowledge of auras that Alyson Noel introduced. It's hard to find a good read these days that isn't classic literature (Which I adore) or Vampires. Twilight ruined it for everybody. Not that I hate it but since the Twilight Saga explosion it's ruined the teen novel section.

My recommendations are any and every Sarah Dessen book every made! I read all off them except for the most recently published. All of them are centered around the same area and she somehow inteegrates side characters into most of her books. My four favorites, you would have to read in order but..they are...

Dreamland
This Lullaby
Someone Like You
Just Listen

All of them are excellent and the characters are very realistic. Their are hints of romance in each book she writes as well as some thematic elements like smoking pot and teen drinking but it's not at all graphic. When I read it, I felt as though I were reading about girls that were in some way a part of me. if you ever get your hands them.

When it comes to Romance novels (which I'm huge on) I stick with Hannah Howell (because I'm half Scottish and all of her books minus the If He's...series is based in Scotland and her westerns are based in Scotland, mostly around the famous Murray Clan), and for modern romance I'm all for Catherine Anderson, who also writes western romances. All of of Anderson's books have unconventional love stories. One is about a deaf girl, one girl is blind, one girl is paralyzed from the waist down, another one is a prostitute in the late 1800s. I have never read a book by her that I didn't like.  

Queen Historia

6,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100

setsunaeternal

Battle-ready Brawler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:51 pm
Queen Aryana
World of Valdemar(and all subseries)

I just started in on these, are they not some of the best reading you could hope for emotion_kirakira ?

I'm just finishing Arrow's Flight and moving on to Arrow's Fall, I think I read both in less than a week's time, I can't put them down :3  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:13 pm
SetsunaEternal
Queen Aryana

I just started in on these, are they not some of the best reading you could hope for emotion_kirakira ?

I'm just finishing Arrow's Flight and moving on to Arrow's Fall, I think I read both in less than a week's time, I can't put them down :3

I know! It can't wait to read them again. And many of the other stories. I'm afraid I haven't finished the entire World of Valdemar books yet. It's something difficult to keep up with so many series. Especially when your reading Dragonriders of Pern on the side. lol  

Lady Aryana of the Seelie

Blessed Lover

7,800 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Conversationalist 100

setsunaeternal

Battle-ready Brawler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:31 pm
Queen Aryana
SetsunaEternal
Queen Aryana

I know! It can't wait to read them again. And many of the other stories. I'm afraid I haven't finished the entire World of Valdemar books yet. It's something difficult to keep up with so many series. Especially when your reading Dragonriders of Pern on the side. lol
Haha, I can totally understand that xD There are a LOT of books, lol.

I've been meaning to get into the Dragonrider's series, but every time I go to look for them I end up getting side tracked by some other dragon series. First time it was by the His Majesty's Dragon series by Naiomi Novak (er...I think that's how her name is spelled), and then I ended up picking up Dragonhaven by Robin McKinley the second time around. I'm so easily distracted sweatdrop

I'm assuming it's good then?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:27 pm
SetsunaEternal
Queen Aryana
SetsunaEternal
Queen Aryana

Haha, I can totally understand that xD There are a LOT of books, lol.

I've been meaning to get into the Dragonrider's series, but every time I go to look for them I end up getting side tracked by some other dragon series. First time it was by the His Majesty's Dragon series by Naiomi Novak (er...I think that's how her name is spelled), and then I ended up picking up Dragonhaven by Robin McKinley the second time around. I'm so easily distracted sweatdrop

I'm assuming it's good then?

They are. It funny though I loved the main stories, the side story about harper Meline was my favorite. Dragonsong and Dragonsinger. lol All of them are really good. But if you gonna start with the prequel to the series, pay attention. It's very... scientific. So it can it confusing.  

Blessed Lover

7,800 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Conversationalist 100

girrrrly

Tipsy Shopper

5,850 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Consumer 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:59 pm
I usually read a lot of classics or modern/post-modern books, so this thread is great. I've wanted to get into fantasy but never knew what to buy at the bookstore!  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:19 pm
Lacella
I usually read a lot of classics or modern/post-modern books, so this thread is great. I've wanted to get into fantasy but never knew what to buy at the bookstore!

If you can't decide check your local library. wink That way you can test a few out and see what kind you like. Plus, it'll help the library XD

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Blessed Lover

7,800 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Conversationalist 100

Labtech Abi

Friendly Pumpkin

8,975 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:35 pm
So, ladies, I've recently found myself incredibly absorbed in the Pretty Little Liars series.

Now, I saw a TV commercial a long time ago for it. From the preview I could divulge that the premise was that a group of friends were receiving texts from a friend who went missing three years ago. When I found out it was a book series I picked it up eventually. Of course judging by the cover and section it was in I could tell it was teenage girl chicklit, but oddly enough I was intrigued enough to not stop there.

I was pleasantly surprised upon reading the first book, Pretty Little Liars that it was more than I expected. The author, Sara Shepard, did a good job winding a web of lies, deceit and confusion in the first book. I've only read the first four books and it provides a girly, dramatic, twisting and winding road which keeps you questioning until towards the end (unless you're clever and figure out the big mystery first). Shepard unravels the story at an engaging pace.

I mean, I suppose if you have seen the show or don't like teenage girl drama, you might be quick to shun this. I'd encourage you not to. I'm not one for girly literature, I couldn't continue twilight after fifty pages and after reading the princess diaries in grade school I could no longer tolerate the bullshit. So if you're bored and willing to try something different, girly, dramatic, and slightly mysterious, I'd certainly suggest the Pretty Little Liars series.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:07 pm
I just started the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer.

Suuuper great book : D if you like fantasy.

It has magic powers, fairies, LEPrecon's ect.

I highly recommend for ages 12-30+

jesusgirl115

Dangerous Friend

8,050 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300

SilentlyVicious

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:00 pm
For the younger members, I recommend one of my favourite series, The Lost Years of Merlin (So much better than Harry Pothead) by T.A. Barron.

And for the more mature members, The Nightlife series by Rob Thurman (who surprisingly is a woman--not that women can't write. But the stories and name led me to believe it was a male writer). This is for the mature members because there is massive use of language, alcohol use and even .s.e.x. It's also filled with werewolves, vampires, lamias, faeries, angels, etc. It's a fantasy-horror type series that's rather heart-wrenching. I cried several tome. XD But I'm a sap that way. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:10 am
Oh anything by Philippa Gregory for those good old historical fiction books. At least be in high school to read this for many inappropriate things you should not know about.  

Headmistress of Gallifrey

Distinct Businesswoman

3,300 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Signature Look 250

secretive sangeeta

6,050 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:40 pm
LadyDerethia
Have any of you read the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins? If not,you should go to the nearest library. I totally loved it at first sight.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Hunger Games series. I have reread the entire series about 6 times in the the last 6 months. I hope the movies do the books justice.  
Entertainment Talk - Music - Books - Electronics - Movies - TV - Fan Rant & MORE!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games