Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Mental Illness & Atheism Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:44 am
cellophane tape
First may I say that, in the future, please do not remove important part of my response.
Why should I respond to your entire post when you pick and choose what you have the best response for?
If the post is getting too long then go ahead and cut te redundant parts, I know they're there.

Mixed messages here: Don't selectively quote, selectively quote, I know what I wrote.
Unless you mean something else.

Parts I don't qoute and reply to, I don't quote and reply to because I have made the same points elsewhere, or because I understoot that to be suplementary to another point, and decided to only quote the main part.

cellophane tape
That was quoted directly from your first post after a couple people stated that they were depressed.
That at least seems directed completely at them and at the end of an already judgemental and aggressive post.
So from that it is reasonable to guess that you have no problem offending people.

You do realise that those people said that they were depressed... Having no knowledge of how they handled it, how can I say anything about that?

No, I think you decided that my views are bad, so my post must necessarily be aimed at offending people.

cellophane tape
Your 'hypothetical' questions on the next page were in response to someone who had posted about depression and started with "Are you really depressed?" Why would you ask a hypothetical person that? You were responding to someone and the subject of the sentence is "you".

The post was in reply to someone who was formerly depressed, and the questions were directed at someone claiming to be depressed now.

And... because of the massive repetition in this post I will quote an earlier post of mine, the one with all the questions:

If people have issues they should recieve professional care, definitely. and the best way to sift the real ones from the fakers is to ignore how they act when they are not recieving that care. Are you really depressed? Why aren't you in therapy? Do you really have a form of Autism that allows you to manage in society? Then you know not to say stuff when people tell you to stop.

Meaning? Someone is depressed, they should be given as much therapy as they need, but to expect everyone else to tip-toe around them is absurd.

cellophane tape
As I said in the last part of my last post, the part that you cut out, it's a struggle.
And feeling like nobody cares doesn't mean your thoughts are limited to "Everyone hates me so I should probably rot or kill myself."
Even if nobody did care, if you went to somebody, well not you but a lot of people, and said that you were really depressed and scared, they would probably try to help you.
Even a stranger.
It's not even about love or care.
And even if you're depressed you're still capable of that thought. A lot of different reasoning can lead you to the conclusion that you need to talk to somebody.
[...]
It's not that black and white. And even if it was, there are so many other reasons to believe that someone would help you.
They have some moral obligation to help you.
They're doing it for appearances.
Even that they want you to stop acting weird.
You don't know what goes through someone else's head.

And again, being depressed generally makes people feel useless and lonely, but it doesn't necessarily make you completely blind to people worrying about you.
It's so much more complicated.

So basically... force people who you think don't care about you to pay attention to you out of moral obligation or a guilt-trip. Gotcha.

cellophane tape
So you're going to secretly see a therapist without any of your loved ones knowing?

Ahuh, right. It probably is best to tell your family about seeing a therapist, but they don't need to know why, or the details of your issues or anything like that. "I've been seeing the school/campus/whatever therapist for a few weeks now. Nothing big, but its just something I needed to get out of the way." ZOMG! SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD!

The rest... well, I think I answered the rest in that little quote, 'eh. There are free therapists. I don't know how many are in your area, but each local council here seems to have one available, as well as each school and university. I don't know how good they are, but they would at least serve as a stepping stone, no?

cellophane tape
4:

Where did you ever get the impression that anywhere near all of them were diagnosed?
That, and people can say they have been diagnosed... Without having ever seen a therapist.

cellophane tape
But from what you've been saying, you think you can judge that someone is just trying to take advantage of you if they speak openly about their disorder. There's not enough information there for you to assume that.

Because I have obviously given you all the details about how I came to the conclusion, eh.

cellophane tape
Saying that you can judge from experience? That's like me saying "Every German person that I've met was a huge jerk to me. Therefore most German people must be jerks."
Have you ever thought that it's just the people you surround yourself with?[/qute]
Ah, no... because they aren't the people I surround myself with.

cellphane tape
And I'm still not convinced that you undertand depression. Let's say you have lived with depression, how do you know the difference between what all people living with depression face, what are simply common symptoms and similarities, and what's just you?

I am basing this on what former sufferers have said.

Now about Malingering: No, I was not referring to that specifically because i didn't know it was diagnosed (or more correctly, assumed there was one but couldn't be bothered looking it up).
Münchausen is specifically seeking attention from medical professionals(which is why I didn't mention it in my 'add' post), Malingering is as you said, but, to quote the wiki entry, "or simply to attract attention or sympathy." But having found it, it is close to what I was talking about.

Now, see... Your quote of my first post seems a bit off. Reading it I see many parts underlined which make no sense offensively...
Also, I think I see a big mix up:
"With publicised depression I often encounter people who use it to be the center of attention--and don't lie, you do too. If you were depressed you sure as hell wouldn't be telling anyone about it because that would imply that you thought people actually care, that you matter, that you aren't completely worthless and deserve to be erased from existence. By telling people about it you betray that you aren't depressed and are only doing it for attention, and that you are a manipulative arsehole."
I think you took the bold to be accusatory, but was actually referring to the underlined. That being the case, it is understandable how you took the rest in that wierd mixed up way you did.

cellophane tape
o.o Just out of curiosity, why did you quote this but not my story of dealing with depression?

One warranted a sarcastic response, the other didn't?

cellophane tape
God, there are so many explinations for why someone would ask someone they trust for help.

wut?

Please explain to me this odd concept of trusting people who as far as you know, couldn't care less about you. Like, trusting them to care about you, and not merely trusting them to be honest or to not tell everyone else out of moral obligation.

cellophane tape
I'm saying that if someone really did come to someone dangerously close to attempting suicide in a highly emotional and desperate state and opened up to someone who took your advice who told them to "quit faking", then that really could push them over the edge.

Actually, my advice would be "see a therapist, how the ******** do you expect me to be able to help with this?"

cellophane tape
And that shows that you don't know what you're talking about. My understanding of your understanding of depression is this:
Depressed people feel worthless and as if no one cares about them. They all obsess over this fact. Therefore, if a depressed person admits to somebody that they are depressed, they are not depressed. The only way somebody is really depressed is if they perminantly isolate themselves from others until they kill themselves.
The only way a depressed person may save himself from this fate is to see a professional. Which of course they must do without informing anyone who is not a therapist.

cool straw man bro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:53 pm
I'll make this short.
This is starting to get exausting.
This argument/debate, whatever you wish to call it is going in circles.
You claim to have an understanding of depression past what you've been repeating since the beginning of this thread, but you have yet to prove it.
So if you have a new idea, let's hear it.
Otherwise I suggest you do some research. Spend an afternoon online. Take a class.
Educate yourself a little more before you judge.

If you want to continue this over PM, go ahead, but I don't want to argue the same couple of ideas anymore.

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:58 am
alteregoivy
Then what do you expect us to do, honestly? If we can't talk to our friends about how we feel and try to share the troubles so that maybe they will become less for everyone, then what should we do? And if the message we get is, "Stop telling me about your problems! I can suck it up and deal with it, why can't you!?" that doesn't exactly seem to convey the caring you're talking about.

Maybe a better response instead of anger and frustration would be to say something like, "I understand that you're depressed and dealing with some hard things. But you need to get help for that from a professional, or find some other way of dealing with it. I care about you, I really do. Please get help; I can't be the only one to try."

And what do you expect us to do? You already know that your friends can't help you, so why keep telling them how bad your life is? I mean, if it's the first time saying, I'm sad. Fine. Sorry for you, hope tomorrow will be better. But the way you described how we should react to you, the whole "A better response is 'I understand you blah blah blah...'" thing, it feels almost as if you want your friends to patronize you. That you want them to coo and sweet talk and treat you like a pet... I hope that's not what you want. One of my clinically depressed friends actually hates it when people do that. She hates it if people treat her like a glass doll about to break. But my other friends... not so much. Sometimes it's like, "Okay, your life sucks. You hate yourself. What do you want me to do about it? I can't help you." I know I sound angry, and hell, I am. How can I not be when my friends make me feel bad for not being able to help them?

alteregoivy
Well, actually, yes. I've seen it happen, anyway. But of course that's not what I would want for them, and not what I would do if something happened to someone I loved. Of course I don't think that way anymore; that's just what I was thinking at the time, and as I said, I've learned better. I was mainly phrasing that way to make a point because it doesn't make an sense. Of course that's a bad way of thinking, but that's my point. That's what happens. It completely changes the way you think and the logic behind it. No rational, normal person would think that way. That's why it's a disease.

Okay, so it's a disease. I think I've figured that much by now. So you started a whole thread to point out that depression is a disease??

alteregoivy
Again, why this is a disease. Actually, for a lot of people with depression, there isn't anything in particular that's wrong or terrible in their world, but they feel like s**t all the time anyway. We know that we're more fortunate than many others. It doesn't help. You said earlier you understood that it's our brains making us feel this way; I don't think you do. Obviously you're well equipped with mechanisms to deal with sadness and stress; people with depression aren't.

No one's born with depression (even if their genes make them more prone to it, it doesn't mean they're definitely going to suffer from the disease). They've got the same mechanisms I do at one point in their life. What happened then?

alteregoivy
I guess you never want to share any of your problems with your friends ever? That's kind of my definition of a friend.

How is explaining why we feel bad all the time unfair? Okay, it's a chemical imbalance in the brain. For some of us, at least, we are in therapy, we are doing something about it, we are trying to get better. How is it unfair to say, "This is why it's happening, and I'm working on it, just give me some time."?

Yes, indeed, I never share much of my problems with my friends. I don't want to worry them. I think I've already said that in another post before. I'm not the kind of person to brood over my s**t in front of the others. It's just not right to me. It's hard. I'm all alone and I deal with it alone. But hey, welcome to life. And then, seeing their faces, undisturbed from the problems I have to face, I'll feel a little better.

There's nothing wrong with asking people for more time. What's wrong is they NEVER say that. In. those. exact. words. What they say is instead something along the lines of "You don't understand how I feel... You don't care about me. Everyone is so much better off without me!" I mean, dude. If you need time, you gotta ask for it. I can't read your mind. Sorry, last time I checked, I'm just a plain ol' human, not a telepathic betazoid yet. Nope. Just tell me what you need and I'll do it.

Something like that... sweatdrop

And honestly I think we can go on forever if we don't stop. lol  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:26 am
I've been going through a couple of pages of posts and Wow there is some heat in this thread o.O
Well, I just have some things to say relating to some of the posts made.
I do think ADD exists but it can be difficult to diagnose since so many people fake it and it's difficult to decide where you draw the line between ADD and average hyper kid. Also, I also think that too many supposed depressed and/or people with schizophrenia, etc. simply fake it to get attention. Lots of people fake disorders and stuff just to get attention. Maybe they're deprived of a nice family lifestyle at home or something. If someone actually thinks they are chronically depressed or is suffering from some disorder, they should seek professional help. If you just want attention, please find another outlet and don't fake disorders please; that's juts pathetic. I know chronic depression is easy to fake.. Hey, I probably get more depressed than the average person but I KNOW I am not suffering from chronic depression. I can just be a gloomy person sometimes is all, but most the time I'm fine. Yes, I do like attention some times but I do not want it through faking a disorder o_O
Also, I have an autistic brother. I also believe that he is not faking it. If anything, I think it gives him more disadvantages than advantages =/
He has a lot of trouble learning since he has the mental capacity of a 2nd grader. He also gets angry really easily and he can get confused really easily too (which, in turn, causes him to become angry with himself or the person). He is a nice brother though. He always listens to me and does basically whatever I ask him.
Also, interestingly enough, I believe he is an atheist. He, just as I did, started going to Church at a very young age. I remember when the pastor's wife explained to my brother (by pointing at a coloring of Jesus on a cross) that Jesus "died for our sins and loves us", he just reiterated "loves me?" with a tone of confusion in his voice. It was interesting; I don't think he really understood the concept. I don't think he can really grasp this idea of "God" unless my family purposely try to install the concept in his head (which none of us do) so I believe he is and will remain an atheist o_O  

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:15 am
D i v i n i t y
I've been going through a couple of pages of posts and Wow there is some heat in this thread o.O
Well, I just have some things to say relating to some of the posts made.
I do think ADD exists but it can be difficult to diagnose since so many people fake it and it's difficult to decide where you draw the line between ADD and average hyper kid. Also, I also think that too many supposed depressed and/or people with schizophrenia, etc. simply fake it to get attention. Lots of people fake disorders and stuff just to get attention. Maybe they're deprived of a nice family lifestyle at home or something. If someone actually thinks they are chronically depressed or is suffering from some disorder, they should seek professional help. If you just want attention, please find another outlet and don't fake disorders please; that's juts pathetic. I know chronic depression is easy to fake.. Hey, I probably get more depressed than the average person but I KNOW I am not suffering from chronic depression. I can just be a gloomy person sometimes is all, but most the time I'm fine. Yes, I do like attention some times but I do not want it through faking a disorder o_O
Also, I have an autistic brother. I also believe that he is not faking it. If anything, I think it gives him more disadvantages than advantages =/
He has a lot of trouble learning since he has the mental capacity of a 2nd grader. He also gets angry really easily and he can get confused really easily too (which, in turn, causes him to become angry with himself or the person). He is a nice brother though. He always listens to me and does basically whatever I ask him.
Also, interestingly enough, I believe he is an atheist. He, just as I did, started going to Church at a very young age. I remember when the pastor's wife explained to my brother (by pointing at a coloring of Jesus on a cross) that Jesus "died for our sins and loves us", he just reiterated "loves me?" with a tone of confusion in his voice. It was interesting; I don't think he really understood the concept. I don't think he can really grasp this idea of "God" unless my family purposely try to install the concept in his head (which none of us do) so I believe he is and will remain an atheist o_O
Haha, sorry for getting heated earlier. sweatdrop

While I don't deny that people use depression, ADD, etc. as a way to get attention, I think more often than not they're not doing it conciously.
Like with depression and ADD, I think a lot of people self-diagnose.
But what basically is the most obvious symptom of depression? Sadness? Hopelessness?
And ADD, having trouble paying attention?
Well what person doesn't feel hopeless every once in a while?
And what person can pay attention for long periods of time?
So I can understand how some misguided teenager could read a page out of a psych texbook or see something on tv and be completely convinced that they have a real problem.

And then there's the other problem of professionals misdiagnosing kids.
ADD is supposed to affect 3-5% of children.
Does that sound like the ammount of kids in your classes growing up who got extra time on tests or where on medication or simply just got out of stuff by saying "I have ADD"?
Like I said earlier, I think stuff like depression and ADD are way over-diagnosed.
And it's not the kid's fault. They've just been told all of their life that they're limited because of some disorder that they don't even have.

Or even if they do have it, they start identifying with the idea that they're limited. Unable to do anything.
Again, really ******** annoying for anyone around them, but not their fault.
For example, this girl I grew up with was dyslexic. So she would have trouble reading.
But if you asked her to do anything or, god forbid, made fun of her for something it was "I can't, I'm dyslexic." or "Stop it guys, I have trouble with that because of my dyslexia!"
And I think she really believed that.

For common disorders, I think those are more likely than someone conciously faking one of them.

But even if they were, with depression specifically I think it's always better to assume that that person's telling the truth at first.
Always better to be sure with something that serious.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff