Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sailor Moon Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who love Sailor Moon. (Big Fourum RP needs more players). 

Tags: Sailor moon, Moon, Roleplay, Anime, Manga 

Reply Home
Sailormoon... why the heck do people call it childish, when Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tanith_4486

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:26 am
Pah... Dubs screw everything up. In my manga... Naru is called Molly , Mammoru is called darien anc Usagi is called Bunny...

GAH... these people just want to confuse us! Mixx called her bunny( which i don't really mind but find it stupid because they changed 3 names...) Anime calls her serena and originally, she is Usagi...

Good grief! What on earth are you people doing....?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:24 am
Of course they would change the names.

different Country different langauge but the story line is kept.

Now, I get why they call Mamoru Darien Shields. Darien means of `Good Wealth`.

There's also the variantiong of the name Darius- which I'm sure Darien is more then likely named after.

Darius was (and also means I believe) a king.

Though we must admit- Darien is friggin weathly for an orphan. I mean he's got a motorcycle -and- a sports car and he has a good apartment (by Japanese stanards).

Shields is simple- he shields and guides Sailormoon.

So the name is

Darien Shields.

As for Molly.... her name means Bitter. BUT it also means The star of the Sea.

Which is really odd if you think about it. But it made sense to those that dubbed it. I mean, here she is, best friends with Bunny and then all the sudden Bunny has other friends. Ones she spends more time with.
She's also keeping a secert from her long time friend.

<.< I think I'd be bitter too.

But as for Usagi... I agree they did switch her name around a bit. Though we understood- for us that saw the show first- of who they were refering to.

Serena is an alternative name to Serene and Serenity (>.> which her past name was in fact Serenity.)

<.< But I'm guessing the Usagi is because in one Japanese tale they tell of a rabbit making mochi on the moon. (the reason for the carters on the moon.)

And also you can see a rabbit's face on it (eh, another legend).

So again, I'm guessing Naoko-sama (who named them all) used that part of the myth to name the main star of Sailormoon.

Bunny is just the english translation of her Japanese name- Usagi(Rabbit).

American Dubb wanted to keep the moon refernce when they renamed them so that the american audenice would understand and connect more.

Then again, if you lived like in other countries, I suppose their names would've been changed so that you could understand and connect with them too.

I don't think they meant to confuse anyone, it's just how things work. They're maketing to young people.

You know...x.x I'm just researching they're names....and I found something interesting about it all.  

Luamervara
Crew

Demonic Immortal

27,550 Points
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Cute 200
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500

Melissa-Chan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:12 pm
The dub verson is a little childish, but I am very grateful. After watching that when I was growing up I didn't want to let go of it even though I was outgrowing it, so I searched for it online. Now I own most of the mangas and the first 3 series, and Sailor Stars in Japanese with subtitles. In Japanese it is nowhere near childish, but like I already said the dub is and I am grateful even though I wouldn't be able to watch it ever again after seeing the origonal version.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:17 pm
I do not belive an anime to be childish The fact is that Sailor moon is one of the most mature animes out there therye are some that are VERY adult but Sailor moon is not childish if they want childish thye should go watch a kiddy show like I don't know teletubbies  

Darrlena

Friendly Gaian

9,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Autobiographer 200

Nyok0u

4,450 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:10 pm

When Takeuchi-sensei began work on Sailormoon, it was intended
for younger girls.. like 5-11 years old. So, it could be a bit childish.
Also, most people who started watching Sailormoon back when it
first aired in whatever country, they are probably like 14+ years
old or something. I watched the American dub when I was 6.
There are also some people who are adults that watched Sailormoon
when they were teenagers, I suppose. =) I guess Sailormoon just
brings out our inner child.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:29 am
Luamervara
Of course they would change the names.

different Country different langauge but the story line is kept.

Now, I get why they call Mamoru Darien Shields. Darien means of `Good Wealth`.

There's also the variantiong of the name Darius- which I'm sure Darien is more then likely named after.

Darius was (and also means I believe) a king.

Though we must admit- Darien is friggin weathly for an orphan. I mean he's got a motorcycle -and- a sports car and he has a good apartment (by Japanese stanards).

Shields is simple- he shields and guides Sailormoon.

So the name is

Darien Shields.

As for Molly.... her name means Bitter. BUT it also means The star of the Sea.

Which is really odd if you think about it. But it made sense to those that dubbed it. I mean, here she is, best friends with Bunny and then all the sudden Bunny has other friends. Ones she spends more time with.
She's also keeping a secert from her long time friend.

<.< I think I'd be bitter too.

But as for Usagi... I agree they did switch her name around a bit. Though we understood- for us that saw the show first- of who they were refering to.

Serena is an alternative name to Serene and Serenity (>.> which her past name was in fact Serenity.)

<.< But I'm guessing the Usagi is because in one Japanese tale they tell of a rabbit making mochi on the moon. (the reason for the carters on the moon.)

And also you can see a rabbit's face on it (eh, another legend).

So again, I'm guessing Naoko-sama (who named them all) used that part of the myth to name the main star of Sailormoon.

Bunny is just the english translation of her Japanese name- Usagi(Rabbit).

American Dubb wanted to keep the moon refernce when they renamed them so that the american audenice would understand and connect more.

Then again, if you lived like in other countries, I suppose their names would've been changed so that you could understand and connect with them too.

I don't think they meant to confuse anyone, it's just how things work. They're maketing to young people.

You know...x.x I'm just researching they're names....and I found something interesting about it all.

Right... you know what... you and your gosh darned long and argh... comments just make so mad.I mean, I am not angry or anything, but it is just at the people in charge of transalating the stuff... look ,when i first read the manga and learned the truth on the internet, there were differences, like metallia was misspelt metalia, helios was in one page called elios, then in another, called helios. Nehelenia was spelt neehelenia and in some pages was spelt as neheleniaa...

That is why I am irritated...
Plus, for me, using the original names would have made it more nicer...  

Tanith_4486

Number XVIII_Cattrix

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:57 pm
I agree totally , I mean take Inuyasha they put it in Adult Swin why couldnt they have done it with Sailor Moon I mean show the whole season there while having the cut episodes for the little kids. I mean I uderstand were there coming from but I want my rights to watch what I want not what some one else wants me to watch.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:59 pm
I don't think sailormoon is childish at all but dub version is. I read the manga and seen the uncut version of sailormoon and believe me IT"S NOT CHILDISH....whoever thinks sailormoon is childish ( my mom >_<) is stupid and doesn't know much about it.  

x_lost_dream_x

Number XVIII_Cattrix

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:19 pm
People need to read and watch before they call something childish.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:41 pm
>> Well I agree with Helios's name....

>> I like Mythology a lot....and I get bored...

<< I don't see the point of chopping his name to Elios when Helios is more correct...because Helios is more or less the god of sun that rides a golden chairot across the sky. (don't ask...x.x Greeks are funny that way...)

^- oddly enough his sisters were Selene, and Eos. The moon and dawn/dusk.

Nehelenia can spelled many ways and each would more or less be correct. Because Nehellenia (or Nehelenia/Nephelenia) is also a goddess called Nehalennia (I believe that's the spelling but I'll look it up later....) which is the godds of travels, the nether moon (in some cases) mentioned to be the goddess of the dead, vegation and ect.

BUT. There's also a mineral named Neheleniam (or something like that.) which the character could also be named for.

^ this leads to different spellings of that character's name. Though, they should call her Neherenia since 'L' doesn't really fit in their alphabet- but they do...

@_@;; And I wish they stick with one version of it and keep it that way.  

Luamervara
Crew

Demonic Immortal

27,550 Points
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Cute 200
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500

Tanith_4486

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:05 am
yeah true, but who knows what is wrong with those people? in one page they call umni melvin then they call him umino again...

oh gosh! stick to one name please! it is so darned confusing even fushigi yuugi , inuyasha, flame of recca, akazukin chacha were not ruined this much.... grrr...

is it so hard to just put melvin in all the pages instead of the abovenamed confusion???0.o;

Luamervara,I agree with this:
@_@;; And I wish they stick with one version of it and keep it that way.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:57 pm
Well, american tv made it childish... evil scream sweatdrop stressed  

Mercvrya

4,500 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200

Tanith_4486

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:42 pm
Love For Nana

true... they want to sanitise everything...... xp  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:54 am
insane_swordbunny4486
Love For Nana

well the USA has to stop trying to make everything kid-friendly! look at Adult Swim, it isnt kid friendly, but when my neices and nephiews see me watching it they know to back away and leave me alone because [AS] has material not suitable for children. SM should be redubbed and put on [Adult Swim] so we know what it was like. no more beureocrats because they ruined everything already!  

RAPTOR948

Tanith_4486

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:56 am
RAPTOR948
insane_swordbunny4486
Love For Nana

well the USA has to stop trying to make everything kid-friendly! look at Adult Swim, it isnt kid friendly, but when my neices and nephiews see me watching it they know to back away and leave me alone because [AS] has material not suitable for children. SM should be redubbed and put on [Adult Swim] so we know what it was like. no more beureocrats because they ruined everything already!

That is true. I watched some shows on tv, then I find out that most were edited... screw them and all their red tape!

Okay... back to topic...

Sanitising everything is no good. I learnt that the hard way in real life. Besides, when I found out about the real anime and manga... oooh, i was infuriated...

How stupid! If you have to make it childish, then fine! But not even other anime or mangas have as much confusion as this! oooh!

* wants to strangle the dubbers!*  
Home

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces