Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Coming out as an atheist Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:53 pm
aguave.
My dad also said he shared the same beliefs as me when he was my age. He said his ideas had evolved from that point. He believes there is a bigger picture, a great design.

*snort* Older people.

"Now, Zero Jr., when I was your age, I had the same beliefs. But, now, I make religion my whole life!"

*shudder*  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:02 am
iviary
Dande_Lion

And the truth is that I really haven't ever met a single Mormon I actually liked. I can't stand the vast majority of them that I have met.

Really? There's a big Mormon stronghold in my town, and one of my best friends is Mormon, and she's fantastic. She never pushes her beliefs on me, she's cool with my lack of beliefs, and she's really sweet but with an excellent sarcastic sense of humor, like mine. I used to eat lunch with her and some of her mormon buddies, and I got along great with most of them. That's not to say I've liked every mormon I've met; a few really get on my nerves. However, as a whole, the Mormons I know are wholesome, nice people. It's a stereotype, sure, but one that has mostly rung true from my experience. I don't know if you've just had bad luck in your acquaintances, or what, but I get along much better with Mormons than plenty of other religious groups around here! I guess coming from a Mormon family might taint their treatment of you, as you've "shunned" their beliefs.

Perhaps it was only the Mormons I knew. And I disliked the majority of them before I stopped being Mormon.

The Mormons I grew up with had no interest in or understanding of education, books, thinking about things in a new way, discussing things, or really trying to understand anything outside of their scripture. They made clear that this was the only correct way to feel. After all, they already had all the right answers without having to think about them or study anything, so why think about anything? Even their own religion, they barely studied it or knew anything about it. I mean, in Sunday School, I was the only person remotely familiar with the stuff they were teaching while the other kids goofed off. But still the other kids felt like they were superior to me because I was weird and read all the time and wanted to go to college.

I remember when I was about ten, one Sunday School teacher obviously didn't understand fractions. Fractions! She was trying to say that there was this group of people, and two thirds of them decided one way and three quarters of them decided the opposite way. And I told her that that was mathematically impossible, and she said that if I couldn't find the reference in the scriptures then I had to accept what she said.

No Mormons I grew up with had anything remotely like an interest that I could share. Their lives seemed bland and colorless and empty of meaning or hope. It was like they were all on a shelf waiting for god to take them down and play with them.

Dande_Lion

Pistil

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 am
My dad's atheist.
My mom's christian.

My brother's atheist.
My sister's agnostic.

I'm agnostic.

My mom failed. xd

But seriously, I just brought it up one day and mentioned I find religion hard to believe. My mom didn't try to convert me or anything, she accepted it quite nicely.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:29 pm
Mom: christian
Dad: dunno, probably atheist since he's the one who likes to discuss deep topics

Reactions:
Dad was ok with it, since he likes logic and science more.
Mom, a whole new story. She went balistic when I told her that I didn't believe in it, never have for the past 10 years that she's been dragging me to church. She keeps talking (and excuse my language) bullshit like 'I want your soul to be saved' and 'I want to be with you in this-so-called heaven'. Ugh, it's so frustrating, but now, after several months of having fights with her, I think I'm starting to get it through her head that I'm atheist and nothing she's going to do is going to change that. Now her only statement for dragging me to church is 'at least you're spending your time somewhere' because I only work on Saturdays and don't do anything else for the weekend.  

Shadow`s Enigma

Apocalyptic Warrior

Yami_Ichi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:35 pm
My mom and dad are both those really hard-strung I-will-answer-you-will-bible-verses christians. I know that if I tell them, I am probably going to be homeless. Yet, I will have somewhere to go if that happens.

I just... am afraid to tell them. They think I am a Chrstian. I did 'accept Christ' at a young age. My parents still think I am that nice little Christian. I have yet to tell them.

I may tell them when I go off to college ro something... I don't know yet. I want to tell them... but I can't.

Suggestions????

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:36 pm
ninja Never told them  

Taylr752

Rev Shrubbery

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:58 am
Sors
My parents are athiest, I doubt they give a damn that I'm following their footsteps.

Same here. My dad's a devil's advocate, so he argues with me about it anyway, but it's all in good spirit. For those of you who haven't told your parents: Don't make it look like a big thing. Just say something like, "Oh, I'm not really sure there is a God," in some relaxed situation. Keeping it a secret seems a bad idea.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:44 am
DivideByZero14
aguave.
My dad also said he shared the same beliefs as me when he was my age. He said his ideas had evolved from that point. He believes there is a bigger picture, a great design.

*snort* Older people.

"Now, Zero Jr., when I was your age, I had the same beliefs. But, now, I make religion my whole life!"

*shudder*

bwahaha.
i do not believe his beliefs are actually of some seperate conciousness controlling us all though.  

aguave.

Syrenka

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:41 pm
I told my stepmom, mostly to piss her off, partly to see what she thought about it. I've "strayed from the path" apparently. My dad knows, but I don't really care to know what he thinks. To imaginary hell with him. neutral

I just moved in with my uncle though, and they're a heavy Christian family. I haven't told them; I'm afraid of what trouble it may stir up. I just don't want to have to go to church, though. I feel like it'd be disrespectful to the religion somehow. confused But I don't think I'll tell them. Some of the stuff Jesus says ain't half bad, anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:39 pm
I never really cared for Religion to begin with.

I was always putting comments like that down to give the hint.

And one day I declared in front of them during small talk I was an atheist.

No reaction. I'm okay with that.  

The Rival Hen

HaileSelassie601993

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:08 pm
I'd like to tell my grandparents, but I can't stand to break their hearts. Plus, they would kill me. They merely assume I'm a Christian and every so often say things that you would say to a Christian if you were a Christian. My dad definitely knows, and belives what I believe; my mom is (I think) Catholic but never attends church and never indicates any signs of her religion.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:48 am
Our household was never particularly religious. I can't remember ever having a 'god' conversation with my parents, and they sort of always knew I despised praying in assembly etc at school... and I always kind of knew they were agnostic anyway. It wasn't a question of 'coming out' as an Atheist.

My grandparents (baptists) were kind of shocked xd

Muaethia

Uchihas Blood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:16 am
Ya, I have to change what I said earlier... I recently found out that my parents believe in god, but not in the ideals of christianity, so pretty much, I just found out that I'm the only atheist in a minimum 30km radius... (Unless my brother is atheist, whih he might be.)
Quote:
(I've always believed that cats live longer if they're kept indoors, but my mother believed that they needed to roam around free, and they kept being killed by dogs or hit by cars.)

(We have to let our cats live outside... three of us are allergic to animals. They do fine unless there is a lynx around who wants a meal... Or wolves...)  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:15 pm
I'm atheist....only my brother knows, who is also one.
My mom is Christian, though.
One day, we were chatting about how they have 'God' on the dollar bill and in the pledge of allegiance. I said that we shouldn't have it on money or that part of the pledge in public schools, because of Seperation of Church and State. She thinks it's dumb and will never see from an atheist's point of view.
My dad is buddhist, so she said "Don't let any of dad's Buddhist crap or any of your anime get to you." I lied and said that the anime I watch has nothing to do with religion. xD

I'm afraid that if I tell her, I'll get left out of all the holidays. Not that I want to celebrate them, but I like to see my family...and I like getting presents. XD; I try not to be greedy, but I do believe that everyone deserves a day besides their birthday to receive presents. And besides the fact that Christmas is about Christ's birth, it's always a happy, jolly time of year that I look forward to. (And not just for the presents, mind you. XD)  

mond -an- mitternacht

Yami-no-Albedo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:00 pm
My mom is an atheist, too, so there's no problem there.
I'm not entirely sure about my dad, but he can go f*ck himself for all I care. He always interrogated me about my beliefs when he was drunk, and asked me why I believed it. Yet another reason I hate him...  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff