Welcome to Gaia! ::

Avatar: The Last Airbender- All Nations Welcome

Back to Guilds

Welcome to the Avatar: The Last Airbender Guild; Here to talk and have fun all based on Avatar the last Airbender. 

Tags: ATLA, Avatar, Airbender, Bending, Cartoon 

Reply Avatar: the last Airbender- All Nations Welcome
Opinion On Movie After Seeing It. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Did you see it opening night?
  Yes
  No
View Results

CherryLen

5,700 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:59 pm
Just saw it!
It wasn't that bad i've seen worse then that!
though some of the characters were hard to recognize.
Like Iroh, Zhao, Ozai, Haku(I thought he was a girl!!)  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:08 pm
im speechless  

Panversion1

Sephirunks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:18 pm
Panversion1
im speechless

i agree  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:10 am
DutchCherry
Just saw it!
Haha. Iroh wasn't hard to recogonoize for me, but I can understand Zhao and Ozai.

amam2217
Crew

7,350 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Signature Look 250

Beckygan
Crew

7,150 Points
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Member 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:52 pm
I've just watched the movie recently and I was very disappointed with the cast and some scenes.

I would have to say that the worse thing in the movie I have to criticize about is Fire Lord Ozai and the public look of the Fire Nation. I didn't like how they portrayed Ozai one bit. He didn't look at all menacing with the "I WILL KILL THE AVATAR AND CRUSH ANYONE IN MY WAY!" demeanor. I was really upset that the Fire Nation were all dark skinned and I think Iroh should have been casted as Zhou- he looked like a commander Zhou in my opinion. And yes, Zuko's scar was a major disappointment and Azula was disappointing as well.

The bending and fighting was very well done but the fact that Fire benders needed a source of fire to bend didn't make much sense- in the TV show they just twisted their fists and spurted fire.

The encounter with Haru barely seemed significant in the movie and the silly fact that Earth Benders had earth around them in the isolating camp was really bad- they could've have broken out without Aang!! Plus, they didn't star King Bumi in it.

The end major battle didn't have the great Water spirit helping Aang. The very end is almost symbolic besides the fact that Aang does a funny bow (but I'm critical about some things so ignore the funny bow thing).

I was quite impressed with the discovery of Aang and how they made out Yue and the Northern Water Tribe. Yue almost looked picture perfect and her dramatic end was pretty good.

All in all, The Last Airbender was too rushed and there will be some disappointments for Avatar the Last Airbender fans. I could go on forever about this but I'm a critical person, so any fan reading this review, I advise you to watch the movie (whether at the cinemas or rented DVD) and make your own a opinion.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:03 pm
sjch94
After driving two hours to see it in 3-D opening night, I'm glad to say I wasn't majorly disappointed in the movie. It could have been better, yes, but it could have been a heck of a lot worse. Here is my in-depth critique, read at your own risk. whee

Aang-- B I wasn't upset with Aang, really. He played the whole "bringing peace throughout the nations" part well, as well as the inner conflict about being the Avatar. The only downsides to his character were that he could have been more fun-loving, free spirited, and lighthearted, and that he could have had more chemistry with Katara. (Haha, I'm not an obsessive fan of Kataang, but I don't dislike it either.)

Katara A- -- I think Katara was well played. She was her usual "hopeful" self, and thankfully she was less "cranky mother" than in the series. My only real complaint was her lack of hair-loopies! xd Sokka even made reference to it himself in the episode "Avatar Day"- "My boomerang defines who I am! How would Katara feel if she lost her hair loopies?" Or something along those lines, haha. But yeah, I liked Katara.

Sokka -- C- Hmmm. I've got conflicting emotions about Sokka. (Or should I say Soaka?) I did laugh at him a few times- when Appa was "eating him", for example, or when he kicked that firebender in the butt. rofl But in the beginning when Katara accidentally uses her waterbending on him and he almost seems like he's going to hit her? Very out of character for Sokka. I didn't like that a bit. He could have been more funny, but I understand they were trying to keep the movie darker. I dunno, he just kind of felt out of character to me.

Zuko A -- I did somewhat like Zuko. I didn't love him, but he was definitely OK. Patel definitely portrayed Zuko's intensity well with his facial expressions. I wish his scar had been more prominent, because it's like his version of hair loopies. xd But, what can you do?

----Blue Spirit D -- I kind of see the Blue Spirit as its own character, I guess. But I'm putting it under Zuko, because it didn't really have dialog or anything. Actually, the purpose of this entire subsection is to comment on how much I disliked its hair!!! UGH! Just had to get that off my chest. So Blue Spirit gets a thumbs down from me.

Uncle Iroh -- C+ (This one is going to be my pickiest, because Iroh is my favorite character. Like, you do not realize how much I love this man. Hahah) I'm going to try and overlook the fact that they pronounced his name wrong. I'm just going to let it go... let it be washed away like sand on the shore. Ok, now that I'm over that... Uncle was so-so. I didn't feel like he really possessed his lovable joie de vivre, but, once again, they were trying to keep the movie darker. Nevertheless, he should have been more cheerful. I don't know if I wasn't paying attention hard enough, but I also feel like he didn't give enough of his proverbs. There were times when he was a shadow of his former self- for example, getting a foot massage xd , or when he tried to hook Zuko up with girls. rofl But for some reason, even that part seemed rather forced to me. I was super-duper disappointed that they cut out his line about "even in banishment, my nephew is more honorable than you" to Zhao... I felt like that line was really powerful! They should have put it in after Zuko and Zhao's scuffle on the bridge in the North Pole. Anyway, I'm kind of neutral about Uncle. He could have been way better, but thank God he wasn't a lot worse.

Commander/Admiral Zhao -- F No. Just no. First of all, where were the sideburns? Hahah, all joking aside (even though I was being slightly serious), he just wasn't a good Zhao. Not egocentric enough. Not enough of a jackass. Not enough of a "MOON SLAYER! twisted " Not to mention that I couldn't exactly tell him and Fire Lord Ozai apart some of the time, but that's because I'm somewhat stupid. xd The only redeeming quality about him... wait, there wasn't one. YOU FAIL.

Princess Yue -- A+ Definitely the best-played character in the entire movie. And I'm not just saying that 'cuz she's pretty. I knew from the moment I saw her in the preview that she was going to be perfect, and I was right. Gah, I loved her!

Fire Lord Ozai -- D- Possibly one of the biggest disappointments of the entire movie. He didn't even feel like royalty to me, just some guy they decided to put in a fancy cape. This is supposed to be a man hell bent on conquering the world. But he hardly seemed evil at all. They didn't even give him a crown, which made him seem even less royal. He was just a huge let down. Ugh.

Azula -- NOT ENOUGH DATA The rest of my party didn't agree with me at all, but I felt she wasn't evil enough. But, how the heck should I know? She was on for like 5 seconds. I guess I'll have to wait and see in Book 2, and make a judgment.

Haru -- rofl Ok, I bursted out laughing when I realized that the six year old kid was Haru! All I gotta say about him. There isn't much to say, really.

Kyoshi Warriors -- Error. No such entry. Ok, I don't get why they weren't in the movie. They were in the previews and the promotional merchandise. But whatevs, I hope to see them in book 2.

Gran-Gran -- A She was ADORABLE!!! Oh my God, it made me want a grandmother just like her. Yeah, she was more grouchy in the series, but I just adored her!

Hmm, I'd be here for a couple more hours, but it's time for me to go to bed. And yeah, probably no one will read this... sweatdrop But I don't blame them. It's like a fricking novel! xd

I agree about Azula and Fire Lord Ozai and . . . just almost about every character- especially Yue (and except about Gran Gran- I was quite neutral). Yue was picture perfect and Ozai and Zhou was a major disappointment for me. I was upset about Haru's encounter, they didn't make it seem significant- just an encounter and I was thinking when I saw Haru's dad: "He looks so Asian?! And he's got a Master-Sheifu-Kung-Fu-Panda styled moustache!! And he's got black hair!!

And by the way- I read this post!  

Beckygan
Crew

7,150 Points
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Member 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

TJ Moon
Crew

4,850 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • First step to fame 200
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:06 pm
I went to see the last Airbender with my sister, her friend and one of my friends. I was rather disappointed at the outcome of the movie, but I don't know how I could fix it much.

For one thing, like everyone else, the pronunciations drove my insane. Aang being Ahng sounded absolutely ridiculous in my ears. For a couple of seconds when Katarah would refer to Aang as Ahng, I wouldn't know who she was talking to.

The movie was rushed, by a whole season squeezed into two hours would be pretty hard. But, and I'm being honest here, the way they cut scenes and moved onto the next scenes and explained things (EG: Yue's hair or how they believe Aang (or Ahng in this case) was the Avatar and how they were explaining Zuko's past in Fire Nation Colony no. 15) was really, annoying in a way and very . . . . ngh. I don't have any words to describe it but it was very . . . strange.

The casting for the characters is something to be a bit disappointed about, but I think all of my complaints are like everyone else's so I'm not going to mention, save for Zhou and Fire Lord Ozai. (is that how you spell his name? Anyway . . .) Zhou was annoying especially when he was dragging on at the sort of feast with Zuko and Iroh present that Zuko was a failure and everything. Fire Lord Ozai was the complete opposite of what I expected. I just couldn't deal with his not-so-evil face and strangely pursed lips when he talked. That bugged me so bad. When Zhou was talking to the Fire Lord, for a couple of minutes I didn't know who the heck he was talking to.

The effects was great though, in my head, I couldn't register the bending with their crazy tae-kwon-do moves. It was very slow for the element to build up, unlike in the series where their movements built the element as they went (if you get what I mean). The costumes were great, though in some of the dark scenes I didn't know the difference between the Water Tribe and the Fire Nation. All I saw was a mass of dark-clothed people trying to look like they're warring against each other.

The absence of the Kioshi Warriors and Aang's gigantic koi fish monster thing at the end was disappointing.

The movie overall was okay and the places they went to were absolutley magnificent. The costumes were great and the bending was cool (though slow to build up). And taking into consideration that they were trying to squeeze a whole book into a two hour movie, I can deal with the rushing of the scenes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:13 pm
amam2217
DutchCherry
Just saw it!
Haha. Iroh wasn't hard to recogonoize for me, but I can understand Zhao and Ozai.

Ha! Lol. I was kind of surprised to find Haru as a little defensless child. I figured it out a couple of seconds from his entry. Zhoa and Ozai were major disappointments. Zhoa was annoying and Ozai didn't look like an evil i-want-to-take-over-the-world Fire Lord.  

TJ Moon
Crew

4,850 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • First step to fame 200
  • Generous 100

adammanne

Dangerous Lunatic

9,500 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:57 pm
The movie sucked balls. No offense to any of the actors, but they probably weren't Asian at all. Sokka, Azula, Katara, Toph, and Aang didn't even look Asian. Why use Caucasian actors for Asian roles? If the cartoon characters Avatar was based off of are supposed to be Asian, then hire Asian actors. It would be like hiring an Asian actor to play Ron, Hermione, and Harry, which would be very awkward. Cho Chang was Asian, so it made sense she was played by an Asian actress; Avatar actors would be like if Cho Chang was white.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:09 pm
It stank. Full analysis to come later.  

ForeverNarnian

Asakumi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:16 pm
I'm a little scared to see the movie, because I heard that it wasn't good and that Aang's name was different from the show... I don't know want to do. Their's a part of me that's just dying to see it, but the other half is scared s.h.i.t-less... LOLZ (not really just scared... haha)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:34 am
I think the movie could of been better meaning character wise and, each scene was cut to short but other then that the movements were okay..I guess.And his name is prounouced Aang not ang!  

Maiyachu

Wealthy Kitten

ii PerfectLover ii

8,550 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Generous 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:38 pm
I heard many bad things about the movie and I'm hesitent to see it. But I may give it a chance and rent it this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:55 pm
at first, im not really interested in watching the movie...,but then, my mom bought a dvd of it and later i found myself wondering what the movie is all about................heck, after watching it..... it was a good movie after all! biggrin

im very much excited for the next part of it!! biggrin biggrin biggrin  

Kaiezer

Magnetic Hunter

12,800 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200

sarahbear3355

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:19 pm
the movie was horrible sad
i hated how they didnt pronounce half the names right, also the graphics were terrible. also i believe they choose the wrong acters/actress for most of the characters. i enjoy and love the tv shows but the movie i was ashamed of. but hopefully the next one is better =]  
Avatar: the last Airbender- All Nations Welcome

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff