Welcome to Gaia! ::

Veni Vidi Vici

Back to Guilds

A poll guild for fun-lovers, RPers, craziness, and hippies. 

Tags: poll, games 

Reply Nothing's coming.
*twitches* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dammit!
  Grrr...
View Results

Tybarious

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:20 pm
I agree with purple, its the same thing and it's interchangeable. no need to argue.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:09 pm
Purple: This comming from the person who argued against the changed definition of the term "catgirl" ???

Remember when we argued the difference between "Catgirl" and "furry" ???
And how it originated with the egyption cat goddess "bast" and the original japanese folklore of the "bakeneko" ???
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bast_(goddess)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakeneko

Just because it's still new, doesn't mean that it CAN'T become part of the original definition and change it, in the future.

How the definition for "comic" has changed is no different.
AKA: "small group of people add to the definition of it,
or something that's partly connected,
and it doesn't get officially accepted as part of it until MUCH later"

That's how the definition of anything has evolved throughout time.
So accept how definition evolves for EVERYTHING or NOTHING.  

xwhateverxdudex

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:49 pm
Actually, language evolves in different ways, just like people, so it's not an all or nothing thing. The way that a definition evolves determines how pervasive it becomes. "Catgirl" is specific to a subculture. "Comic book" is universal.

But dude, I was just making a point, playing devil's advocate. xp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:31 pm
*puts face in hand and sighs then looks up* -_- Seriously guy's? I mean seriously?

Dude look it's a freakin' comic book deal with it just because it has more pages then the old comic books that our ma and pa's grew up with it is still the exact same thing. So they're called Manga in Japan and we call them that too "comic book" is still a viable term. It's like calling a cartoon and anime... Anime is in truth is short for animation and animation is any cartoon so there for Anime is cartoon.

*nods* Yes I know I just threw jet fuel onto that fire but seriously. Dude what you're talking about in some ways is like changing the meaning of words for example Paladin doesn't hold the same meaning it once did. Same with Gay in truth the word gay use to be Happy not homosexual. So many words have lost their true meaning because of this.

It's a comic book. Why? Because it is mostly pictures with some word/thought bubbles and more then a strip long. There for Manga = comic book.

I swear if I have to become the serious one here heads are going to roll or at least a toe or two. Don't make me come over there and bear hug you Texan style!!  

Moonracer
Vice Captain

Demonic Gatekeeper

50,640 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Shady Hands Squad 250

xwhateverxdudex

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:50 am
Purple: Oh you and your "devil's advocate" play >.<
"catgirl" may be specific to a subculture.
(and "furry" even more so)
But anime fans USED to be a minority.

MR: You make a point (both of you do)
[LOL, bear hug texan style] ^.^

But I have to disagree here. (with regards to anime)
All anime are cartoons, but not all cartoons are anime.
Anime is a specific style of animation.
Which all cartoons are not. (Same thing goes for manga)
Even IF all cartoons in JAPAN are called anime.
(and all comics are called manga)

Also like many otaku (extremist fans - and yes, I accept myself as one)
We considder the term "cartoon" (with regards to anime)
to be degrading to the style.
~crosses arms and nods~  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:58 pm
*tries to defuse the situation with super cute kittens and catgirls* Everyone look!!  

Tybarious

Moonracer
Vice Captain

Demonic Gatekeeper

50,640 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:12 pm
*rubs face* Oh god...*mutters*...

*takes deep breath* Okay I'm not going to go there I'm not going to go there...

*sighs* Okay listen Dude, don't think I'm disagreeing with ya here I'm not really I'm not. If you say anime the first thing that comes to mind is Japanese animation. If you say cartoon I think of the lame crap we have here for a child's amusement.

Animation - Animation is the rapid display of a sequence of images of 2-D or 3-D artwork or model positions in order to create an illusion of movement. By that statement alone uh...yeah cartoons are considered animation and there for can be viably called anime.

Listen doesn't mean I will but I'm just saying it can be. There for "comic book" can also be a viable term for a manga.

*blinks* Well at least you can admit you're crazy. I know you do...but honestly it is a viable term, but like I said if you say anime I will think of a Japanese animation and if you say cartoon I will think of the crap American animation.

[Oh and if you ever had a Texan bear hug you wouldn't laugh it's been known to break bones or at the very least crack a few. We do everything big in Texas.]

Anyway...to end this...thing and get back to the fun. We're both right you're crazy and obsess about it being called one way we accept both terms. To each their own be happy lets move on now.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:29 am
TYB: YAY, catgirls ^.^ !!!

MR: 1&2: LOL
3: Yep, so true. And man have they gotten LAME.
4&5: fine fine, viable point. But then why do we have a separate term for CGI.
(or computer generated "cartoons" )
6: TOTALLY! I'm one crazy nutcase ^.^
7: "Do everything big" - Yep ^^; so I've heard. You people are crazier then me ^.^
8: O_O
That was a LOT of "enders" - BUT WAIT !!!
I have one more... (see section 4-5) LOL  

xwhateverxdudex

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:48 pm
In Japan, all cartoons are anime because it's short for animation. That means even American cartoons are anime in Japan. xd That's how the word "anime" started.

And there's nothing wrong with American cartoons. Most of them. I could name lots of good ones, new and old.

And don't be silly, dude. We call them CGI in order to differentiate them. That's the only reason to use any word. To make sure that people know what you're talking about.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:26 pm
Exactly ^.^

Which is why we use the term "anime" when talking about "japanese anime"

To differentiate them.  

xwhateverxdudex

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:00 pm
Touche. xd  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:31 am
YAY, I WIN !!!

^.^  

xwhateverxdudex

Ravinsblood666

Aged Magician

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:14 pm
See? I told you guys they would fight over something again... I'm glad someone won this time though, means that it will be a newish topic next time with new bets.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:05 pm
That was a debate, not a fight. And half the time, I was just playing devil's advocate. xp

And what's this about bets? stare

purpleravenhawk
Captain

Ravinsblood666

Aged Magician

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:43 pm
... *points at miller and TY* They were doing it the whole time, I'm just the dealer, making a few bucks by holding onto the money until the thing is over.  
Nothing's coming.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff