Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Suudonym
Vice Captain

Winner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:47 pm
Well, he had gotten pretty good at conveniently running into the people he wanted to run into when he wanted to run into them, but having a more direct way to contact him definitely sounded like the better option. "That's probably easiest," he said with a nod, drawing out the pokegear in question so the numbers could be transferred.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:15 pm
With a nod, Alder accepted the offered gear and dutifully added his contact information before he handed it back. "Here," he said with a smile as he did so, "I'd appreciate it if you could let me know what your friend Ray says."

After walking a bit more he halted, then turned to Luke with a small grin. "Alright, I think that's all I wanted to talk to you about for now. Did you have anything else you wanted to speak to me about or discuss?"

BlackFireKitsune
Vice Captain

Tiny Lunatic

Suudonym
Vice Captain

Winner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:26 pm
"Okay," he said, returning the pokegear to its place, "will do."

At Alder's prompt, Luke hesitated; there was something that had been bothering him for a while, but it sort of felt like the kind of thing he should be aware of by this stage. Curiosity got the better of him, though, and he sheepishly put his wonders to words, "It's kind of unrelated and probably really basic, so sorry in advance if this is a stupid question, but… I don't really understand the whole 'champion' thing."  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:38 pm
The man nodded as Luke took his gear back, then gave the trainer his full attention when he mentioned his question. The query he voiced, though, couldn't help but make him laugh a bit, and he aimed a broad grin at the other redhead. Ah, that explained a bit of his behavior. "No no, it's alright, and understandable since Kodo doesn't have a gym challenge or Elite Four," he said quickly, trying to dismiss Luke's concerns about not knowing what a champion was. "You know the gym challenge, correct? Each region where there is a League also has eight gyms constructed at various cities and towns throughout. The first gym is the easiest, and their difficulty and strength of the leader's pokemon increases up to the eighth and most challenging gym. Once trainers defeat all eight gyms in order, they can go to their region's League building, in which the Elite Four and the champion accept challenges from strong trainers. They're usually built in areas with very strong pokemon," he explained, "for those that want some last-minute training sessions or to refine their skills before they challenge the Elite Four and the champion."

His hands raised to gesture vaguely as he spoke, as if doing so would help to explain things better. "Now, just as it sounds, within those League buildings are five very strong trainers that are all more powerful than the eighth gym leader. The first in the League is the easiest of the four, and their pokemon get progressively tougher as you continue, ending with the fourth and final Elite Four member, who is the most challenging to defeat. If you succeed, though, you must go on to battle the champion, who is even stronger than the previous four. With this challenge, though, once you begin, you must continue all the way through and defeat all five without the benefit of stopping to rest or healing your pokemon at a pokemon center. It's a very difficult challenge."

Alder paused in his long-winded speech to breathe, then smiled at Luke. "Each gym and each Elite Four member usually has a type of pokemon they specialize in. Sometimes the champions do as well, and some of them prefer to have a more evenly balanced team." With his explanation finally finished, he waited a few moments for it all to sink in before he asked, "Does that make sense?"

BlackFireKitsune
Vice Captain

Tiny Lunatic

Suudonym
Vice Captain

Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:55 am
He ducked his head down mildly, taking Alder's humored response as an indication that yes, the information he requested was common knowledge. An explanation was given nonetheless, however, and Luke listened with due attention. The gym system was one he was familiar with due to his visit to Hoenn, but the mention of the Elite Four was largely new knowledge. It seemed there were a lot more layers to the League structure than he would have previously expected - it was uncertain how involved in administration those various layers were, but if Elites and Champions summoned to Kodo specifically to discuss the Rocket threat, it seemed likely that there were at least some ties. "So basically, a really powerful trainer," he concluded, "or rather, the most powerful trainer in any given region." A thought became visible in his expression, and he bowed his head slightly, "I'm sorry, I probably owe a lot more respect than I've shown."  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:45 am
While he might've expected a new trainer with little experience to not know as much about the League, it was a little surprising that a seasoned one who had traveled to at least Hoenn didn't know what the League comprised of. Still, it was a chance to teach, and he enjoyed teaching. At Luke's succinct summary, Alder nodded once with a smile. "Essentially, yes, though the trainers that manage to beat the challenge are more powerful - though they don't replace the champions at the League. And no no, don't worry about it," he dismissed as his smile widened to a grin, "it's hard to show respect for something or someone you know little about. And besides, I've yet to do anything here except speak at a panel and talk to a concerned trainer."  

BlackFireKitsune
Vice Captain

Tiny Lunatic

Suudonym
Vice Captain

Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:05 am
He probably should have paid a bit more attention during that trip to Hoenn, yeah.

At Alder's claims that he'd yet to do anything of significance, Luke shook his head, "Even that much is… I mean, the League has been for a year, but except for the event where they announced that they would be setting up a branch here, they've been pretty much invisible, and it's felt a lot like we're still fighting alone. So the fact that there's someone who would talk to us openly and not just make investigations behind the scenes is really refreshing. It sort of feels like things could change."  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:27 am
He raised a hand to rub thoughtfully at his chin. "Hmm... Yes, I see what you mean. If you don't see any changes or progress, it's hard to keep faith that there's anything happening at all." Setting up a branch, hmm? "Well, right now I'm still here as a guest - I was asked to speak at the panel as a guest from Unova - so I'm not here to officially help with things. Right now I'm speaking with the concerned trainer I wanted to speak to after the panel, and tomorrow I'm going to speak to the other concerned trainer about her black pokeball questions. But," he added, still rather thoughtful, "I gave up my position as Unova champion to one of the previous gym leaders there, and I've been traveling ever since. I could just tell the League I'm traveling here and I'd like to help the trainers here."  

BlackFireKitsune
Vice Captain

Tiny Lunatic

Suudonym
Vice Captain

Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:46 am
Guest - the announcer at the panel did use that word, didn't he? Elites and Champions, but not people the League wanted to involve in this major problem for longer than it took for them to talk for a while and answer a few questions. Familiar faces of authority to put the community at ease. It always came down to politics, didn't it? Thinking like that, it was a little difficult not to feel forsaken, and Luke very much hoped that he had come to an incorrect conclusion. He endeavored to keep the hardening feelings from his expression, instead encouraging a mild smile to his features, "I'm sure everyone would appreciate that."  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:03 pm
Luke's discouraging internal conclusions were mostly correct - the other three panelists, in all likelihood, would be returning to their home regions and the duties that came with them, as they still held their respective seats among their home League challenges. Alder, on the other hand, had given his up in order to travel, and thus could take his time returning. That is, if he even wanted to. At the moment, he was very tempted to stay a while, especially with this trainer's comment. It made him smile at the younger redhead, "Do you think so? Maybe I'll ask your friend tomorrow," he mused aloud, "but you're not everyone. What do you think, personally?" He asked, watching Luke with his curious purple gaze.  

BlackFireKitsune
Vice Captain

Tiny Lunatic

Suudonym
Vice Captain

Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:32 pm
"Uh," he hadn't expected the sudden question and took a moment to organize his thoughts on the matter, "I think… it says a lot about the reputation and ability of everyone at the panel today that the League called them in specially to talk about such a serious issue. I don't know much about the League or Champions or even training in general, really, but I do know that under our current circumstances, there's no such thing as an unneeded ally."  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:40 pm
Alder nodded and smiled, though it saddened him to see how at least in one trainer, the sport of pokemon training and battling had been almost entirely lost under the threat that loomed over the whole island. "Yes, teamwork is key. Working together is crucial to overcome such threats - though I'll admit that I don't have as clear an understanding of the size or severity of this threat as you trainers likely do. That's one reason why I'm interested in speaking to you and your friends, so that I can learn what you know and convey that to my colleagues and see what we can do to help." Which would be difficult to accomplish if he were only here temporarily... Hmmm.

"Alright," he went on with a broad grin, "I think I've kept you long enough. Thank you for answering my questions, Luke, but I think it's about time I headed back," the man said as he pulled a ball from his belt and released a large Braviary, though he paused as he returned the ball to his side. "Unless you had any other questions for me?"

BlackFireKitsune
Vice Captain

Tiny Lunatic

Suudonym
Vice Captain

Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:13 pm
He nodded in response, blinking at the appearance of the large, unfamiliar bird - something like a Pidgeot, but different; in fact, it looked a bit like Leste. There were still an awful lot of pokemon that he didn't know much about, since his research focused primarily on things he saw in Kodo. At the prompt for any additional questions, he shook his head, "No, I think that's all for me. Thank you for listening to everything seriously. I'll let you know what Ray says."  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:22 pm
The Braviary watched Luke curiously, its head tilting to one side as it clacked its beak a couple times, but Alder put his hand on its head with a smile. "Alright. Thank you again for discussing things with me - and I'll hold you to that!" He said as he mounted the bird, and with a final wave, the Braviary unfurled its wings and took off into the air.  

BlackFireKitsune
Vice Captain

Tiny Lunatic

Roleplay

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out