Welcome to Gaia! ::

Annual User Run Ball Planning Guild

Back to Guilds

The event planning organisation for the AURB! 

Tags: aurb, annual ball, ball, user run, event 

Reply Locked Threads
Changing up the way the Ball is run. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Brokuto

Antagonistic Rogue

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:01 pm
Love Renewed
Violet the Maestro

I know this wasnt an attack on you, theres always been a disconnect between how much the main host does and how much the other members think they do and it was addressing that rather than your comment before.

The first year of running something like the AURB would always be the most stressful, and since we do change every main hosts every year, the mains have been constantly under that stress. which is why we do want to try to overhawl how the ARUB is run. To hopefully make the least stressful option for the main so they dont feel so burnt out after their running of the Aurb.

I also dont think we should use the number that have joined the guild to base how many rooms we have as a few look to have joined to help in other ways rather than RP, we should see how many people are interested and work off that.

We havent closed applications for the guild, its more we're not letting people in with blank "why do you want to join"  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:31 pm
Brokuto

I wasn't seeing it as an attack, as I totally understand the stress being a main host is. I know how much stuff is involved for the main host, and I was simply trying to come up with some feedback (it's the first I've been able to sit and think about it...to many big events at school these past two weeks). I think the biggest issue is that the main host almost always ends up feeling like they're alone, but they aren't.

And that's not an attack on you or troubled. That's something I've noticed with almost every host since the 11th.  

a porg

Anxious Astronomer

Brokuto

Antagonistic Rogue

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:37 pm
Violet the Maestro
Brokuto

I wasn't seeing it as an attack, as I totally understand the stress being a main host is. I know how much stuff is involved for the main host, and I was simply trying to come up with some feedback (it's the first I've been able to sit and think about it...to many big events at school these past two weeks). I think the biggest issue is that the main host almost always ends up feeling like they're alone, but they aren't.

And that's not an attack on you or troubled. That's something I've noticed with almost every host since the 11th.
whoops should have said who the first part was aimed at, that was for love renewed  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:45 pm
Violet the Maestro

It's cool. Tbh having the discord helped hugely with not feeling alone throughout it. It was more that there were people being nasty to me and that was just like, the stress icing on the hell cake.  

troubled-pasta

Enduring Spirit

11,425 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

Love Renewed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:56 pm
Brokuto
Love Renewed
Violet the Maestro

I know this wasnt an attack on you, theres always been a disconnect between how much the main host does and how much the other members think they do and it was addressing that rather than your comment before.

The first year of running something like the AURB would always be the most stressful, and since we do change every main hosts every year, the mains have been constantly under that stress. which is why we do want to try to overhawl how the ARUB is run. To hopefully make the least stressful option for the main so they dont feel so burnt out after their running of the Aurb.

I also dont think we should use the number that have joined the guild to base how many rooms we have as a few look to have joined to help in other ways rather than RP, we should see how many people are interested and work off that.

We havent closed applications for the guild, its more we're not letting people in with blank "why do you want to join"
90% of what he said I didn't take personally. It was just the part I quoted that was hard not to. And everyone is welcome to their opinion. Plus, no one knows each other's experiences without asking. Which is one reason I volunteer to share mine. So everyone knows that while I haven't hosted the AURB before, I have hosted large similar events and other things. Hosting anything small or large can be a challenge depending on the person. Definitely. And lots of things can make it harder or easier. I agree that there needs to be a team shift here. Just maybe we should also all get to know each other better too. It could reduce any under or over estimating happening, and helps us team build.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:08 pm
I like illustrations so here is an old graphic that shows my thoughts on the structure. This was for a PD guild. Our roles would obviously be changed for this. Admin lead and rp lead on top, then their staffs. The room hosts(if more than one room) would fall under the rp lead, and artists with a head artist, etc. would fall under admin

User Image  

Love Renewed

Love Renewed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:16 pm
I used paint to add in what I meant.

User Image  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:05 pm
Love Renewed

Violet the Maestro

Uhm. I was thinking and,

I really, REALLY don't think having more rooms than at max 2, would be a good idea.
Here are my thoughts if you'd like to read them:

Last year, we had 11 hosts schedules to work in one room, and it still was rough keeping the forum active. A couple of our hosts couldn't make it for most of the ball, so that reduced our numbers quite a bit. Also, basing the decision of the number of rooms for the ball on how many members are not here is not wise. I personally know for sure 2 of us are only here to help with art/administrative details. So instead of 15, lets say 13. Plus, looking at the trend of people disappearing, it's likely about 3 of us will be gone at ball-time because of real life s**t. So now there are 10.

5 people per room sounds like a lot, right? Lets remember 2 of them are going to be the main administrator and main rp host. If they both belong to different rooms, that's 4 people per room if we have 2. Now, these 4 people have to be constantly making sure that the thread is active with the guests engaged and cool, and to manage the contests and quests/writing plot summaries and updating the front page/running mini-games and helping the plot progress/handling whatever s**t that comes up.
That's barely enough if we give two tasks to one host each, and that's only during the ball itself.

In reality, the tasks would be split among the room-hosts of course. But you see how the staff is already running thin? And, there's the issue of different time-zones, real-life responsibilities, and unforeseen circumstances. Now lets stretch them even more, by four rooms.

I don't even want to imagine it. Seriously, the stress of maybe two people running each of the rooms would be insane, and they would never want to work on the AURB ever again. I'm surprised troubled and bro haven't run screaming yet, because that is basically the amount of stress last year, not including the drama.

Best case scenario, you guys are 100% right, everyone stays on board, and all 15 of us roleplay, have no unforeseen-circumstances that cannot be avoided, and we be chill with running 4 rooms.
Real life isn't like that, right?

How do you guys think the responsibilities would be split up, and how many people would be in each room if there were 3 or 4 rooms? I'm genuinely curious. I hope I've explained myself correctly ;w;
Also, there is the fact that the amount of people participating in the AURB, as well as gaia itself, is shrinking year to year, that should also contribute to the amount of rooms. What do you think?  

aucosu

Crew

Familiar Conventioneer

Love Renewed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:18 pm
Mushyung
Love Renewed

Violet the Maestro

Uhm. I was thinking and,

I really, REALLY don't think having more rooms than at max 2, would be a good idea.
Here are my thoughts if you'd like to read them:

Last year, we had 11 hosts schedules to work in one room, and it still was rough keeping the forum active. A couple of our hosts couldn't make it for most of the ball, so that reduced our numbers quite a bit. Also, basing the decision of the number of rooms for the ball on how many members are not here is not wise. I personally know for sure 2 of us are only here to help with art/administrative details. So instead of 15, lets say 13. Plus, looking at the trend of people disappearing, it's likely about 3 of us will be gone at ball-time because of real life s**t. So now there are 10.

5 people per room sounds like a lot, right? Lets remember 2 of them are going to be the main administrator and main rp host. If they both belong to different rooms, that's 4 people per room if we have 2. Now, these 4 people have to be constantly making sure that the thread is active with the guests engaged and cool, and to manage the contests and quests/writing plot summaries and updating the front page/running mini-games and helping the plot progress/handling whatever s**t that comes up.
That's barely enough if we give two tasks to one host each, and that's only during the ball itself.

In reality, the tasks would be split among the room-hosts of course. But you see how the staff is already running thin? And, there's the issue of different time-zones, real-life responsibilities, and unforeseen circumstances. Now lets stretch them even more, by four rooms.

I don't even want to imagine it. Seriously, the stress of maybe two people running each of the rooms would be insane, and they would never want to work on the AURB ever again. I'm surprised troubled and bro haven't run screaming yet, because that is basically the amount of stress last year, not including the drama.

Best case scenario, you guys are 100% right, everyone stays on board, and all 15 of us roleplay, have no unforeseen-circumstances that cannot be avoided, and we be chill with running 4 rooms.
Real life isn't like that, right?

How do you guys think the responsibilities would be split up, and how many people would be in each room if there were 3 or 4 rooms? I'm genuinely curious. I hope I've explained myself correctly ;w;
Also, there is the fact that the amount of people participating in the AURB, as well as gaia itself, is shrinking year to year, that should also contribute to the amount of rooms. What do you think?
As far as I've seen we aren't doing more than two rooms. But if we were then to my mind I would do it the same way I juggle as many rps as I run. It comes down to being organized and not letting it get to me. Granted I also love to rp lol. Someone else might find it taxing. As we've seen. It really depends on the theme too on if more than one is 'warranted'. I mean some themes would be weird to have more than one room, and some themes it would be weird not to have multiple rooms.

I posted the image to show how my thoughts are for staffing. We'd have each room run by someone and someone to oversee it all, make sure they're doing it and that everyone is communicating etc. Then one person or team for advertising. And the art team with a head who oversees to make sure it gets done.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:23 pm
Plus everything you described to task out between four people, I do daily...

" manage the contests and quests/writing plot summaries and updating the front page/running mini-games and helping the plot progress/handling whatever s**t that comes up. "

I do that every day in 10,000,000 pages while maintaining a number of rps, running all of my charities, passing out prizes, sending trades, running three shops etc. I'm not saying it's something anyone else wants to do. But it can be done lol  

Love Renewed

troubled-pasta

Enduring Spirit

11,425 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:47 pm
Love Renewed

Mushyung

Violet the Maestro

This is my suggestion for structure based on what I know of smaller-end organisations. Essentially you don't need a 'boss' for each department/group because everyone is close-knit and able to talk to each other directly over Discord, which eliminates the need for these things.

User Image

Having any more than this in terms of titled roles is over complicating things for no good reason. We also won't need a head artist or anything because the artists won't be collaborating, they'll be working with the room hosts and admins to make art, separate to each other (just pretend there's a line connecting artists to room hosts and room admins, word docs is limited and I don't have that much time on my hands).

Let me know if anything here is unclear and I'll elaborate.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:54 pm
Love Renewed

Ah, I just quoted you and Vi because I saw you guys were saying we should have 4 rooms..? It was aimed at others too, who were confused why only 2 rooms this year. 3nodding

Yes, that is actually how the ball has been run in the past, except for the distinction between administrator and main rp host. The 'teams' were called committees, although they began to fall apart as there were less and less people and the people running them had to deal with real-life situations.

If you'd like to take a look at the conversation troubled and I had on page 2, we discussed the potential responsibilities of the main administrator and rp-host. What do you think about it? Mishi and I also suggested some possible duties of the main hosts on the same page.

I feel like instead of having multiple people trying to get others to do their work, people should push themselves to do it themselves. It gives them more autonomy, and the ability to set soft deadlines for themselves and the room members. So if the main rp host said, "we need character profiles done by June 1st", the head room host could say "Lets get the basic structure of the character profiles done by xx, characters created by xx, and art done for the characters by xx."

The head room host along with the room administrator could deal with the art, graphics, and room plot themselves, while referring to the main administrator and host to request funds, get things checked, etc.

Also, wouldn't it help if the advertising duties be given to the main administrator instead of a whole nother group?  

aucosu

Crew

Familiar Conventioneer

Love Renewed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:58 pm
Mushyung
Love Renewed

Ah, I just quoted you and Vi because I saw you guys were saying we should have 4 rooms..? It was aimed at others too, who were confused why only 2 rooms this year. 3nodding

Yes, that is actually how the ball has been run in the past, except for the distinction between administrator and main rp host. The 'teams' were called committees, although they began to fall apart as there were less and less people and the people running them had to deal with real-life situations.

If you'd like to take a look at the conversation troubled and I had on page 2, we discussed the potential responsibilities of the main administrator and rp-host. What do you think about it? Mishi and I also suggested some possible duties of the main hosts on the same page.

I feel like instead of having multiple people trying to get others to do their work, people should push themselves to do it themselves. It gives them more autonomy, and the ability to set soft deadlines for themselves and the room members. So if the main rp host said, "we need character profiles done by June 1st", the head room host could say "Lets get the basic structure of the character profiles done by xx, characters created by xx, and art done for the characters by xx."

The head room host along with the room administrator could deal with the art, graphics, and room plot themselves, while referring to the main administrator and host to request funds, get things checked, etc.

Also, wouldn't it help if the advertising duties be given to the main administrator instead of a whole nother group?
I read every post lol. What I think has been posted lol. The thing with having someone in charge was what you're saying in 'let's get this done.' I don't mean for it to be multiple people. It's separate.

Everyone is complaining about having too much to do thus advertising becomes it's own thing.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:02 pm
troubled-pasta
Love Renewed

Mushyung

Violet the Maestro

This is my suggestion for structure based on what I know of smaller-end organisations. Essentially you don't need a 'boss' for each department/group because everyone is close-knit and able to talk to each other directly over Discord, which eliminates the need for these things.

User Image

Having any more than this in terms of titled roles is over complicating things for no good reason. We also won't need a head artist or anything because the artists won't be collaborating, they'll be working with the room hosts and admins to make art, separate to each other (just pretend there's a line connecting artists to room hosts and room admins, word docs is limited and I don't have that much time on my hands).

Let me know if anything here is unclear and I'll elaborate.
See to me that would be way too many people. A lot of cooks in the kitchen so to speak, and no need for it. Artists and Advertising is under admin like I was saying. But why so many hosts? Do four people need to run each room? Doesn't it make more sense to have an rp host(what you call the main host), then one host per room? You say smaller, but your's is much bigger than mine lol. Mine has up to three rooms with one person per room.

Edit- I was thinking of so many hosts from an admin end, and that's a lot of people editing at one time. I wasn't thinking of it from the rper side.  

Love Renewed

Love Renewed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:05 pm
And a head artist has nothing to do with collaborations. It's about being organized and not making the host do everything. The head artist would collect the art and make sure the artists don't go mia.

Everyone else is concerned about too much for one person. So, divy it up.  
Locked Threads

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff