Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The Supernatural Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Niveous

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:13 am
bah

Super-natural= A science man is too stupid or without proper tools to figure out.

That is all.

Scientists are only human. Their job isn't to bash what they don't understand, that is what we call human pride getting in the way.

heh

It really is that simple. Remember Men in Black the movie.

"Just a few 100 years ago we KNEW the world was flat. Just imagine what we'll know tomorrow.."
more or less. Anyway, life is a learning process. I'm very happy to listen to ideas and theories. Proof is rare. As long as I can remember an opinion is just that, I won't become some tunnel visioned person.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:20 pm
Well I honestly didn't believe this things at all, to me it was just "pfffft is just people's imagination" and well I've seen a couple of experiments documented in video (maybe one or two were actually on discovery channel) that actually prove that you can convince people, that they actually saw something or felt something when in fact there's nothing at all.

I'll have to say that despite this theory has all the arguments to be true well I think is not applicable at all cases, but I wouldn't have the guts to say that these cases are neccesarily "ghosts" in this case Sanguvixen's theory sounds like somehting more reliable I'll have to tell you that I started taking this theory as a possibility when a couple of things happened to me by being alone and being with people, I'm taking about physical things, something touchable, something that you can see and feel.

My clearest example was in a friend's house, it was at night and everyone was asleep and me and her were at the kitchen talking while she was eating some cereal by aside of the kitchen counter, its an old kitchen so its wood didn't properly fit anymore because of the years and humidity, so drawers and doors are quite difficult to open and close, we were talking and the drawer just behind her burst open in front of my eyes @_@ it freaked us all out but well we couldn't do anything else but just try to close it (and believe me is not easy to open that drawer with that much speed or strenght) and well pretend nothing happened and go to her room XD

I think this specific example can be attributed to Sangu's theory, but we'll have to deal with just theories for we haven't really proven a direct relationship between energy and this or all types of physical evidence D:  

contessa-miseria

Becka Minato

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:32 pm
I believe there are some things that simply cannot be explained by science. I think that ghosts are the remants of ones life, or soul if you wish, and that they remain behind to do something that they forgot to do while they were alive, like thank a friend of loved one.

I highly doubt that saying a bunch of mumbo-jumbo is going to keep ghosts away from you. There wouldn't be a show if they did their 'chants' and then nothing happened. God's Protection my a**, they are just doing it to make you believe that ghosts are 'evil' spirits.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:36 pm
I've never seen any supernatural phenomena that couldn't be explained by science or trickery.

Why resort to the supernatural when a natural explanation will suffice?  

Ilikepie4

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:13 pm
I'll have to say I'm still mixed about it all. Personally I think 90% of this "Supernatural" stuff can be disproven.

However the remaining 10% leaves you scratching your head. I think I'll settle with something a college friend said. There are still things we don't understand. Maybe we are not meant to understand them.

There are things we can't explain. However, that doesn't mean you have to chalk it up to god theory. Maybe, just maybe people have it wrong, and much of the paranormal and ghost stuff has less to do with things such as gods, and afterlives, and more to do with something we just haven't advanced enough to understand at a scientific level.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:14 pm
Most definitely.

We have 5 senses. We live by these senses. We use what we are given.
No one can argue with what we have a solid sense of.

But, there are colors and shades we are incapable of seeing that some marine life can. Imagine it, something beyond the primary colors and everything between. We can't, even if we try. We live and create by piecing together what we already know.

Like I said, science is just not advanced enough. We are still at the infancy stages when it comes to the brain, and energy sources, ect. We got a long way to go. As for the supernatural....fear...is a natural reaction, and the brain is very very good at making up scenarios....to...protect us. Its basic instinct.

"Whoa...something I cant quit understand and control...." You run instead of risking harm to yourself. This all happens...AUTOMATICALLY. Not everyone will run, but the impulse is there.

It is interesting though...the supernatural. Its fun...you know....trying to understand. It's what being human is about, growing and living trying to embrace w/e comes our way.

I heard a lot of those theories too. Memories of loved ones, replaying over n over. Just because it seems a little far fetched, doesn't make it entirely false.

I've had all those experiences, as a child anyway.Weird stuff, hard to explain. One would say, "Children are pure and attract spirits." And still others say, "Kids just have big imaginations." I don't really care which it is. I can accept both as possible. One thing is for sure though...this stuff makes life a little more interesting. Science can be a real stick in the mud when it wants.  

Niveous

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces