Welcome to Gaia! ::

Numenore - A LOTR Community

Back to Guilds

Tags: Lotr, Tolkien 

Reply Mittalmar - Original Archives
Dumb Things You've Heard Said About LotR Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11 12 13 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Boolean Julian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:31 am
My only one was when a friend rang me up (he knew I'd read LotR and the Sil) because he was having an argument with this girl who said Arwen was Galadriel's mother. I think she'd had to make some presentation at school about something she was into, and she chose LotR. She'd clearly never read the books though, everything was about the movies. Anyway, my friend just wanted me to telll her she was wrong.
I said all of that sooooo articulately, didn't I? scream  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:49 pm
curumo
Glossary shmossary. Only the American edition included one of those and what does that say? xp wink

Anyway, A Clockwork Orange is the most fantastic book ever. Well, not ever, but it's pretty damn horrorshow. I'm just tickled that this is what we're gavoreeting about, o my brothers. But really, as you read, you can find out what the words mean by their context and repetition. Please don't use a glossary. It would make me cry. Also, Scruffy the janitor would cry. And so would Burgess. You can look at one after you read it though.

Also, I'm not being pushy or anything. And the language was my second favourite part. 3nodding

Wow, I haven't been here in a while. Our teacher photo-copied a list of terms for us and sometimes I had to glance at it but once you start reading you do recognize the words and don't need to use it anymore. Showcase was playing the movie the other day and I watched it twice...but that's off-topic.  

Nolah de Fanel

Thaxul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:08 pm
whapcapn
My only one was when a friend rang me up (he knew I'd read LotR and the Sil) because he was having an argument with this girl who said Arwen was Galadriel's mother. I think she'd had to make some presentation at school about something she was into, and she chose LotR. She'd clearly never read the books though, everything was about the movies. Anyway, my friend just wanted me to telll her she was wrong.

wow. Just wow.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:26 am
thaxul
whapcapn

wow. Just wow.

My thoughts exactly  

Nolah de Fanel

Starlit Jewel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:54 pm
whapcapn

Woah... that is just... just...

Dumb..........................  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:58 pm
starlit_jewel
whapcapn

Woah... that is just... just...

Dumb..........................

Yup.  

Boolean Julian

megotpower

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:44 pm
Nolah
Melian
This isn't stupid, it's just kind of cute.

I was working a few nights ago, and this family comes through my line with a bunch of junk that people always buy. The little boy was holding two books. The one he was reading just happened to be the Silmarillion. I'd say this kid was around 12, maybe even younger than that. The other book he had was the Spongebob movie novelization. I didn't really want to tell this kid he probably wouldn't understand the book, not unless he was some sort of genius. His mom kept telling him he wouldn't read it, but he said "I love Lord of the Rings. I want it.." XD So he ended up getting the book. It totally slipped my mind at the time to ask him if he had even read the trilogy.

Hopefully if he doesn't get it, he'll keep it around and read it later.

that's so adorable. A year or two ago my little brother (who would have been 11 at the time?) wanted to buy the trilogy but he wanted to buy them all at once and it wasn't affordable so he picked out 'Unfinished Tales' instead and then at first he found it hard to read and I told him that he should read it when he's older but then he got the whole defiant thing going and the bugger read the whole thing. It took him a month but he did it so I bought him the hobbit for his birthday-he read that and then bought the fellowship and has read that and now is in the middle of TTT. Gotta love him.

The scary thing about that is, I read Unfinished Tales first, though it only took me a few days, and right now I'm in the middle of TTT xd

P.S. I just got accepted into the guild. Um, yay for me.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:43 pm
The stupidest thing I ever heard was some religious fanatic who came to my church and told us that Gandalf was Satan's messenger because he used magic. xd
I almost burst out laughing in my pew, and my dad leaned over to me and whispered, "Don't laugh. Haven't you ever seen the look of pure evil in his eyes?" And made googly eyes at me. xd  

Elvidnir

Darkfire_blade

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:27 pm
The dumbest thing that I've heard was that Sam and Frodo are gay and together...I highly resent that because Tolkien mainly bases Frodo and Sam's relationship on a something else. I'm sorry, I just can't remember what though at the moment sweatdrop .

I'm sure a lot of you have heard this before. But it annoys the heck out of me.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:44 pm
What darfire blade said. They made such a big deal about it that they even featured it in an MTV award show.  

SYFFER

Darkfire_blade

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:24 am
SYFFER
What darfire blade said. They made such a big deal about it that they even featured it in an MTV award show.

I saw that! It's in the ROTKEE as one of the Easter Eggs! Twisted and I were just like. 0.o. We both agreed that that interview was kind of ridculous.

Also...THERE IS NO LOTR SEQUEL...there will be no other unless one of Tolkien's relations writes one and knows in extensive details about Tolkien's world. You can't just MAKE another movie. I'm glad that some people know that (yay pj!)  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:07 pm
It would be pretty cool if they did make a sequel. Maybe about Aragorn's reign or his son's.  

SYFFER

Boolean Julian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:54 am
Darkfire_blade
SYFFER

Also...THERE IS NO LOTR SEQUEL...there will be no other unless one of Tolkien's relations writes one and knows in extensive details about Tolkien's world. You can't just MAKE another movie. I'm glad that some people know that (yay pj!)

Actually, I don't know if you knew that originally Tolkien had a plan that he would create a background for the history of Middle Earth, and other things would be created against his background - art, literature, anything.
He then abandoned this plan when he thought it would never be realised, but it's essinially what is happening now. So a sequel to LOTR (possibly set in the Fourth Age) wouldn't really be against Tolkien's ideas at all. It would be coninuing his legacy. Admittedly, it would be very hard to pull off well, but I'm essentially in favour of Tolkien inspired work in all media.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:56 pm
Oh I have to tell you this one...

I was round at my friend's house and we were playing a Spyro game, and she went into a cave and there was this little... thing... crouching on a rock, and she said, "Oh! That looks like... oh what's his name?... SHMELVIN!"

I said, "Who?!"

And she said, "The little schitzo dude from Lord of the Rings..."

I sigh. "It's Smeagol, Lucy... Smeagol..."

Lol!!! It cracked me up... but maybe you had to be there? sweatdrop  

Starlit Jewel

MalikTous

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:36 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
Mittalmar - Original Archives

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11 12 13 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff