Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Were you converted? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Well?
No, atheist for life...
36%
 36%  [ 9 ]
Yes, I did believe...
64%
 64%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 25

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:07 am
Orichalcon
I was lucky enough that my parents taught me no religion as I grew up. I think that my father believes in god, but he never forced these beliefs on me as a child. I "believed" in god for excatly a month, because I was young and impressionable and a kid at school talked about god in my presance. as I grew older I began to look at the various religions; I found that I couldn't bring myself to believe in any god. This realization came slowly, and became more solid as things in my life progressed. Oddly enough, my beliefs solidified shortly before I lost my mother. This only helped to strengthen my resolve.

And that is how I became an atheist

Don't you just hate it when there are people like that at school? They go on and on about their religion in the class room.

I know a boy who is my senior class this year, and his school nickname is "Jesus-Boy". I had him in my psychology class last year. It was so annoying. He went on and on about people that were going to go to hell for doing this or doing that.

He also went on and on about beleiving in God, and repenting for you're Sins.

I find Zealotness in such a young age disturbing and sad. He really needs to get his head out of the hole and wake up to reality.

Too bad he's gone too far. He's became a Religious Zealot since he knew of God.

May Soda have mercy on his poor stupid soul.

Oh...and that is really sad to loose a parent at such a young age too. One always expects thier parents too live to the elder years. I wouldn't know what it feels like, but I bet it feels really bad to loose a loved one like a Mother.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:51 am
E_Night
Yami no Moonlight
I was a Christian for a while. I was only a Christian, because that's what I was brought up as. Anyway... Then, when I was in the 7th grade I decided to become a Satanist. From there I was an atheist and now I am agnostic.
Religion roller coster? why did you become an atheist then a agnostic... sounds like you like changing your beliefs like you change underwear.
Heh... I don't know. Sometimes I don't know what to think about God and stuff, so I guess I kinda believe that he could exsist. He could, but I don't fully believe it and I'd prefer if he didn't.  

Merciless Darkness

MightyWeresquid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:09 am
I have been a dirty heathen for as long as I can remember.
For a while I thought I was agnostic, but then I learned what agnostic really meant and realized I was actually an atheist. I just didn't know the word for it at the time. whee  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:16 am
(~)Glacthor6(~)
I have been a dirty heathen for as long as I can remember.
For a while I thought I was agnostic, but then I learned what agnostic really meant and realized I was actually an atheist. I just didn't know the word for it at the time. whee

heh, my father keeps telling me that he thinks I'm agnostic, not atheist. I have odd spiritual beliefs, but none of them include god.

I guesss if he wants to think I'm agnostic, he''s welcome rolleyes  

Orichalcon

DarthNader

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:33 pm
I was born and raised catholic throughout my childhood. But I was 8 or 9, and one night, I was praying...and i just stopped...and I realized that, while praying...i was just talking to myself.

This led me to the conclusion that I was god, a beleif I held throughout my teenage years.
Later, after reading a bit (David Hume, Immanuel Kant, Joseph McCabe, Wallace Matson, Antony Flew, J. J. C. Smart, J. L. Mackie, Kai Nielsen, and Michael Martin) I relized there was no god, so I couldnt be god.
But i still-and always will- act like I am  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:09 pm
Born and rasied christian. Became really devout. You know. One of those bible humping idiots who you all seem so fond of. Then, my life turned to crap, and god ignored me when I needed him most. Of course, that made me question my utter devotion. I talked to the pastor about it, and he just said that it was a trial that satan had put in front of me with god's permission, just like Job. I tried. For a very long time. Then, when I was at the point of holding a gun to my head, I realized that god is an idiot. When I realized he was an idiot, I remembered that I hate stupid people. And since I hate stupid people, I have no respect for them, thus forbidding me to believe in someone stupid.

It kinda makes no sense, now that I look at it. But that's what I remember thinking.  

ChocoChan

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:34 pm
Sounds familiar.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:23 am
I grew up in a non-religious home.
We did celebrate holidays, but it was more of an excuse for the whole family to gather. At holiday eves we'd have my grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins over for dinner, or we'd go to their place for dinner. There was no religious aspect, ever.
Aside from that, the concept of religion just wasn't there at all. If it ever came up, that's just because it was ridiculed.
I think I there was a short period of time when I did believe in god as a child, but that was a very, very short phase I just probably grew out of.  

Im A Little Pea

Kurai Keiro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:22 pm
My parents don't particularly believe in anything and I wasn't brought up with religion, but I did go to a private Catholic school for 2 years. However, they didn't get to me early enough (haha!), and I just lost interest in church later on. I guess I should be glad that I'm lazy.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:44 pm
My mother is an atheist and my father is a christian. He claims to be devout, yet he does not pray, read the bible or go to church. But I never was raised religious. I've never attended mass or anything. But I did believe in God until I was about... 8? Yeah, I was about eight years old when I realized the tooth fairy, santa claus and God were all stories.

So... yeah. I was sorta converted, but not really. And even though I know that I'm an atheist, and I'm vocal about it, my father refuses to believe it. He like "You just haven't found Jesus yet. You will. You're just confused." Which is frustrating.  

MissDemeter

Lyonette

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:34 am
I used to be a lot of things. Then I read "The God Delusion". Instant atheist; just add water.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:00 pm
Once while visiting my mom's freind's house in the countryside my cousins didn't want to hang out with the zelot-christian daughter of my mom's freind. I took pity and hung out with her and even did a (conversion) to christanity to humor her, but after leaving for hoome I dropped the whole thing.  

B1g_crunch

Questionable Loiterer

8,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Flatterer 200

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:06 pm
Until I was about 12, I would go to church once in a while with my dad (a Baha'i) and I learned about Christianity and Baha'i that way. However, I never had a strong belief and after I moved away from my father, my mom didn't force any religion on me so I progressed from the child's semi-belief into rational thought. wink  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:53 pm
My own logical thinking stopped me from being christian anymore.
I grew up in a very casual christian home, nothing was forced. So it wasn't an overbearing religious family that pushed me over the edge of religious annoyance. Nay.

Just a few weeks of thought in High School and just said, "y'know what, ******** it."  

Matthias Swan

6,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200

Doredia

Beloved Gekko

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:08 pm
I used to be a Catholic so yeah. I started being an Atheist when I was hearing about history and religions in 7th grade and I realized "Wait, they can't all be right!" So I stopped believing. My family is very religious, so I am not very accepted in my own family XD  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff