Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Raccoon Cinema:: (Movies, Music, Etc.)
::The Official Resident Evil Novel Discussion:: (ReVote!!) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16 17 18 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which Resident Evil novel was the best?
  Zero Hour
  The Umbrella Conspiracy
  Caliban Cove
  City Of The Dead
  Underworld
  Nemesis
  Code: Veronica
  Genesis
  Apocalypse
  Extinction
View Results

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:31 pm
But another problem with RE4 is that the storyline was too linear and too expressed. Plus it was long. So we'd be reading a huge book to find out a whole lot of what we already know.

You know what, though? I think that if she's gonna keep writing, she should just continue with original stories, and follow up on Trent and Umbrella and all that, and not focus so much on the Las Plagas crap... Actually, maybe she can make a book about Wesker, which happens between 1999 and 2003, ending with his UC scenario.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:24 pm
I agree that the storyline for RE4 was just too linear. It would make for a simple and predictable read, and I don't know about anyone else, but I like to have to at least put a little effort into the thought of what I'm reading. Even with the other books based off the games, there was still an air of not-knowing, especially if you hadn't played the originals (i.e., if you'd only play REmake or CV:X).

I'm just frightened to see how she would portray Ashley, or the relationship between Ashley and Leon. Like Biohazard EXTREME, I would rather see a more Wesker-based novel, centering more around the inner workings of him and Umbrella, or at least to see more of Trent.  

Kadeejah Seshat

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:10 pm
Well even with REmake, Re2, RE3, there's all these events that happen differently depending on what you do. The books gave them this organization and put it together in a neat package, establishing everything. Cannon or no, it was cool. Plus they added dialogue, which was cool.
RE4 had plenty of dialogue. Is Perry gonna write these long boring conversations between Leon and Salazar about Salazar's right hand? Screw that.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:31 am
Exactly; she took away the cannon of the whole situation by introducing Trent, David and John and the others as well, but she managed to coordinate it extremely well, and it made for an enjoyable read. With the addition of more dialog, it made it easier for people who hadn't played the games to relate to the situations at hand, and made it more interesting for those of us who did play to see how the relationships between the characters developed, even if it WASN'T to the cannon. Plus, hearing how scared like pansies some of them were in their own manner of thinking was more than ample reason to read.

That being said, I would be mortified to have to read the endless montages of chatter between Leon and Ashley, Leon and Hunnigan (because you KNOW it would be there), and Leon and Luis. It would be interesting to see what she'd do with Krauser, or Ada, but having to wade through all that what's-said-is-said-again bullcrap would drive me batshit-crazy, especially with all the pain in the a** radio break-ins she'd inevitably add to "fill in" with Hunnigan. I also know she would gum-up the relationship between Ashley and Leon, which would terrify me more than a horde of zombies at midnight on a summer night.  

Kadeejah Seshat

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:43 pm
Exactly. So I'd rather not see a RE4 novel. I'd prefer some original ones.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:32 am
The concept of an Umbrella Chronicles novel, centered around what Wesker was doing behind the scenes would certainly be interesting...Maybe if it involved Trent as well, to some nefarious end/beginning for Umbrella or another.

I'm kind of fearful to see what 5 will bring, and what kind of agony we may have to endure with more Chatty-Cathies. Even if she were to make an RE4 novel, I would probably try to bear through reading it...Hopefully to the end where she does something a little less cheese-tastic than that Leon/Ashley slop, but I doubt it.

I would like to see her write one for 4 just to see her completely cover the series, and to see what she may do with Krauser. They cut everything short with him far too quickly, so seeing her expand on that the way she did with some of the other characters could be interesting...But seeing how she could play the Merchant into text would be downright frightening.

I suppose that means I'd kind of be torn. But I honestly would rather see more from Trent, and those two he was sitting with at the end of the one book (it's been quite some time since I read them, and can't remember which or who they may have been). A prequel would be great, centering around Trent's family's past. She hit on it once, and really never again to any detail. THAT I would love to see.  

Kadeejah Seshat

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:22 pm
Well I just finished reading the Extinction novel, in less than a 24 hour period, including sleeping, eating and traveling to and from school. I'm proud of myself, but even more so, I'm under the novel's impression. This should hold me off until the movie...

I usually watch the movie, then read the novel imagining how it happened in the movie, but this time around, it'll be interesting to watch the movie and see how the movie's depiction differs from what I had in my head.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:42 am
I can't seem to get my hands on the novelizations of the movies. None of our more local libraries have them, and when I put in for interlibrary loan, I'm pretty much blown off.

Has anyone read all three? Not sure if anyone said anything about them besides what EXTREME just noted...And I'd love to know how decent they actually were, since I'll probably never get the chance to see them.  

Kadeejah Seshat

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:31 pm
Well, the movie books are awesome. Yes, I read all three. Apocalypse is probably the least best one.
With Genesis, it's like, the first three chapters happen before the movie, so you're given a LOT of extra exposition on the characters.

And with Extinction, about 7 chapters (ball park) are dedicated to Jill, so technically, at least 7 of the chapters in the book won't be in the movie.

Great read.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:16 pm
Now, I am seriously determined to find them SOMEWHERE. >__< I kind of figured they might be a little more in-depth than the movies. You can only cram so much into 1 1/2-2 hours, I suppose.

It's good to know, most definitely, that they're worth looking for! Thanks muchly! xd  

Kadeejah Seshat

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:11 am
Worst case scenario, order them from Amazon or something.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:47 pm
Ordering things is for people who have money. crying  

Kadeejah Seshat

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:44 pm
Well, you still have to pay for it when buying from a store..  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:10 am
Which is why I've only got the books for 2 and 0. I read the rest of them after taking them out of our local library. ^^* I'd just like to know where they're available, in case by some FREAK accident I get some money at some point...  

Kadeejah Seshat

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:29 am
I dunno. I live in Canada, we have Chapters, which is a branch of Indigo. Great book surplus.  
::Raccoon Cinema:: (Movies, Music, Etc.)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16 17 18 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games