Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4035 4036 4037 4038 4039 4040 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:27 pm
*with an audible burp, his facial expression changes dramatically as the barrel of the pillowzooka levels in his direction* crap.
*starts trying to scramble out of the way, but the mountain of pillows offers no traction as pillows shift beneath him rather than letting him start getting away*  
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:33 pm
*having just fired a ballistic weapon and having footing no better than Magni's the kickback flings him backward into a mound of pillows, dazed despite the soft landing*  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:26 pm
*time seems to slow down as the pillow launched at ballistics velocity closes in on him. All else fades away as one last pillow slides under his feet, and the ballistics one finds it's mark. the power is enough to knock the air out of him, and he flies a few feet to land on his side* ooooooooooomph!!  
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:25 pm
*Holding the bazooka, finds that he is sinking through the pillowed landscape and knows Magni will likely recover before he can claw his way back up*  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:06 pm
finally. a day off. 11 on, one off.

I'll try to get the RP next time. had a hard day compounded by a worker's rights issue.  
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:55 am
That's got be a a big relief.

No biggie. Pillow fights can be sporadic.
Oh, that's no fun. Were they trying to get you to work your day off as well?  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

DarkScarlettVixen

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:31 am
Lindsey Stirling's second album......... cat_biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:25 pm
facebook post
So, I have a conundrum.

My store manager, one of the shift managers, and several coworkers have the habit of working off the clock. I've been there a year, and fought it as much as I could, but do not always win. It's bothered me for all this time. Both legally and ethically, I feel that one deserves to be paid for work performed. stop paying, stop working. Unfortunately, nobody else seems to think this way.

Tonight, I confronted my store manager via text so there is documentation of the matter. He talked to me verbally to say his take on it is "There are times when it is slow and we are doing nothing. We stay off the clock to make up for that time." I told him that I do not wish to work off the clock at all. He responded with how he does not have a problem with that, but when he sees me on my phone or not working for any reason (even if it is dead slow), I should clock out. Currently, I don't know how serious he was. Still . . . it bothers me.

I need this job and repeatedly said I am not wanting to cause a problem, but I do not want to work off the clock, and it's illegal. So, should I just grin and bear it, or hold my ground? I really don't like where I'm sitting right now.

That is the problem where I now sit. Be true to myself (and the freakin law), or relent and keep my fat out of the fire at work.

@darkscarlettvixen- Glad to see you around! The album is that good, ne?  

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 3:30 pm
@DSV:
I enjoy Lindsey's music as well.
Have you heard of or are you a fan of Pentatonix?

Alexander Magnus
facebook post
So, I have a conundrum.

My store manager, one of the shift managers, and several coworkers have the habit of working off the clock. I've been there a year, and fought it as much as I could, but do not always win. It's bothered me for all this time. Both legally and ethically, I feel that one deserves to be paid for work performed. stop paying, stop working. Unfortunately, nobody else seems to think this way.

Tonight, I confronted my store manager via text so there is documentation of the matter. He talked to me verbally to say his take on it is "There are times when it is slow and we are doing nothing. We stay off the clock to make up for that time." I told him that I do not wish to work off the clock at all. He responded with how he does not have a problem with that, but when he sees me on my phone or not working for any reason (even if it is dead slow), I should clock out. Currently, I don't know how serious he was. Still . . . it bothers me.

I need this job and repeatedly said I am not wanting to cause a problem, but I do not want to work off the clock, and it's illegal. So, should I just grin and bear it, or hold my ground? I really don't like where I'm sitting right now.

That is the problem where I now sit. Be true to myself (and the freakin law), or relent and keep my fat out of the fire at work.

@darkscarlettvixen- Glad to see you around! The album is that good, ne?

That's a messy situation for sure. While salaried employees are expected to work until the job is done (which is legal), hourly employees have to be clocked in to work, like you say.

If your store manager is salaried, it's okay for him, but I doubt anybody else is salaried. You are correct in that work=pay which logically implies noWork = noPay. You are on the clock when it is slow in your restaurant to attend to store needs not directly related to customers and to serve a customer the moment they arrive/call. I can understand why businesses don't like paying employees during slow spells, but such is the nature of business with the laws we currently have (lest there be incessant clock in/out, which wastes everyboy's time, especially payroll's). While what your store manager says is logical enough (in that it could be argued as fair), that does not make it legal.

My advice would be to hold your ground. No business can rightfully expect you work off the clock, and they certainly can't fire you for it. As for the fact that they won't like that, the best I can do is to suggest that you work your hardest and be the best employee you can be. That way, in their minds, you'll have earned your pay despite the slow times. There's no ideal way out of the situation sadly...

It's similar to the laws concerning internships, which people seem to sidestep w/ loopholes or ignore outright.  
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:05 pm
It is tense, at least for me . . . and I am not fond of it. Nobody in the store is salaried at this time, so I don't think it makes any sense at all. this is not my only gripe about the store, but the one that I am standing my ground on. I don't want to break the law. Tonight I worked without slacking off or taking a break, and worked until 12:17 at night when my clockout time was 11. Most would have had me clock out by 11:30 . . . so that would be 45 minutes of work with no pay had I not stood my ground.  

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:20 pm
I'm sorry you're stuck in such a tight spot. Still, so long as you work your hardest, they should have no legitimate cause to complain.  
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:27 pm
Yep, that is about my only card to play.  

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:03 pm
While true, it can be used well if you aim to keep to your principles intact. Things should die down eventually.  
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:44 pm
Frankly, I am hoping to get a better job before it has a chance to. I just started week 5 of a 10 week class . . . the last class. My Master's degree should finally get me a chance to gtfo of this job.  

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:31 pm
Of course, that would be even better. I'm sure you'll be glad to get a job in your field soon.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4035 4036 4037 4038 4039 4040 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games