Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4050 4051 4052 4053 4054 4055 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

welian

Crew

Eloquent Conversationalist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:22 pm
:/

It's hard to find anyone who RPs in guilds these days, and even harder to find a guild with an active roleplay in it.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:09 pm
I am lost among my friends, as I have been losing interest in my yahoo account, and rarely go onto skype. Trying to be there mroe often, but it just doesn't come to me. Mostly I text a lot. I have only a few friends from high school, but they are on my facebook page. That is enough. Some chat, but not everpresent.

As for RPs, it isn't just the guilds. The few times I had a RP get me like a Rottweiler with a thick steak the thing died within a few short weeks. RP here in Gaia just is anemic at best. Guilds or non. Besides . . . I've avoided Barton and the horde of people there trolling. ninja  

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:17 pm
It's understandable; your RL life takes precedence. That and people only have so much time to work with in a day, so keeping up w/ everyone simply isn't feasible.

Yeah, RP on Gaia is in decline for sure, likely on the net as a whole, sadly. What RP itch I have is sated by the tabletop RPG my DM runs. That and it takes up the time that I might otherwise devote to normal RPing. In essence, I suppose I'm part of the problem to some degree... sweatdrop

EDIT: I'll be on the road most of tomorrow, so I may not get a chance to check in that day.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:43 pm
Yeah, I am managing for now . . . but miss the days when I was spoiled for choice in games to play.

Take your time, old friend. 3nodding  

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250

welian

Crew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:06 pm
I don't look for too much in a roleplay anymore. They have really short life spans, so I just take what I can get and enjoy it in the moment, you know?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:58 pm
I hate to sound so exclusionary, but I know what I like anymore. There was one that was a cross/variant of X-Men that I was really growing to love . . . but it died. It made me a sad Magni. crying  

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:26 am
Yeah, it was nice to have a wide variety of games going on simultaneously.

I'm an uncle for the 9th time over as of a week ago, so I drove over to Ohio to help my sister out for some weeks. He husband only had 1 week of paternity leave, so he has to go back to work this week.

@Welian: Nothing wrong w/ dabbling like that in RPs, taking your fun where you can get it.

@Magni: On the flip side, it's also okay to be choosy even in a shortage of RPs so long as you accept that it will be hard to find and keep a good one.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:35 pm
Part of the reason I enjoy creating threads is that I get to create the RP exactly to my specifications, without the agonizing wait of waiting for something to come up in Barton Town. But with how busy Magni is, I bet he doesn't have time to run a roleplay, so that's probably not an option to him. :/

-secretly thinks that if there was just one stable rp running in here, we could get people to come back-  

welian

Crew

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:19 am
Congratulations *9, Snowman. ^_^ I hope your sister does well. I know that for both my kids, I took all the time I could afford so I was there for the birth and at least a few days afterward. As for RPs, yeah . . . I do feel picky, but when I find one that I am willing to devote myself to, I don't slouch in it. The game gets long posts, and a fair amount of detail into every action.

Actually, wellie . . . there is a much more fundamental reason I don't start threads. Even in the hayday of this place, whenever I try to run a game, it fails spectacularly. I am nowhere near as good a runner as I am a player.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:01 am
Yes, creating one's own RP does ensure that it can fulfill their ideal.
I agree that a solid long-running RP would help our the RPR immensely. It's just that none of us have the time or motivation for it. Once I find a job, I may have a schedule sufficiently regular enough to create an RP. I just need to not give the players the whole info dump for the tabletop campaign setting I would be using.

Thanks.
Even when the RPR was buzzing w/ life, a good RP was worth its weight in gold.
Yeah, I'm not too great at running either. I've only run 2 or 3 games, and they've been interesting experiences. Thankfully, given my experience in tabletopping since then, I think I might be better-equipped at keeping one going.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:15 pm
I loved the idea of making a game using a very simple system, such as White Wolf's World of Darkness, or BESM (prior to d20). I only really remember running one game based on the BESM system, and it was my own take on the Ronin Warriors with elements of Bionicle added in . . . Had a fair amount of promise I thought. It died. Then there was the year I spent building a world for my shifters rp, and that never even took off.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:17 pm
I've taken a shine to the Dungeon World and Numenera/Cypher systems. While I like them in the general sense, their relative simplicity is ideal for forum- or PM-based play.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:29 pm
I like those systems because of the very simplistic system. It emphasizes role play, not roll play. with greater emphasis on interaction, character play and development, and management of story instead of how many buffs and +1s can be accrued for a single combat situation.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:20 pm
I feel the same about the systems I mentioned as well (Storyteller is great but a little limited w/o a lot of work). While I can appreciate complex subsystems like those for combat, sometimes you just want simple rolls w/ flavorful descriptions.

~

Good News (both the post I link to and the one below it): http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/gaia-news-updates/staff-updates/t.63632027_1130/#1130  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:30 pm
As usual, I tend to go for either minimalist, or holy-balls-level of detail in my systems. As said, I heart BESM for that minimalist way. On the other hand, I spent a long time playing and loving Palladium fantasy. That thing took literally an hour to copy your character over by hand because it was all percentages, and leveling up was almost as long. The sheets were incredibly detailed, and I loved how everything was possible and you got to see just how possible.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4050 4051 4052 4053 4054 4055 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games