Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4110 4111 4112 4113 4114 4115 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:31 pm
[etymology_nerd]
I find google translate (and other translation engines) are sometimes very flippant with pronoun choice. As for the japanization for "dance", I have no idea why google translate sometimes does that instead of using the original Japanese. Case in point, google translate gives me "Dancing in the shadow, remarks" when "Kage de odoru, Bikou" is entered.
The thing is, I think the content of google translate is largely crowd-sourced (it often asks if you can provide a better translation yourself, which I find funny given the general user of google translate wouldn't know, and those who are likely to know wouldn't use google translate), which would explain the sometimes odd translations that occur. For instance, when I was messing around with some latin, I observed how a comma and initial capitalization separately and together resulted in totally different sentences when compared to each other and their absence; I doubt this is intended behavior.

You are correct in that Kasukana is not literally "ghost" or "ghost-like"; it is merely translated that way most often. "Yurei" is "ghost", so "kasuka" fits "faint/eerie" more precisely.
[/etymology_nerd]  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:43 pm
IIII LIIIIVVVVVEEEE  

Jenni Deer

Dangerous Lunatic

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:53 pm
Makes me wonder if my old nickname is accurate. Is "Hen no ecchi Ojiisan" really "perverted old man of wierdness?

And . . .
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
fourth one in on the left, the purple one . . . what is that backplash?!? I've seen it in many colors, and wanna know what the hell that is!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:06 pm
Wishful Lily
IIII LIIIIVVVVVEEEE

Do you? Do you really? ninja  

Magni Prime
Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:43 pm
No worries, your old nick is correct. Of course, "ojiisan" could also be read as "grandfather" or "uncle", but that's less about the kanji and more about the context.

A long shot, but could it be 1 of the items in the following bundle? http://www.gaiaonline.com/marketplace/itemdetail/10050275

Heya, Bliss, long time no see!  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:51 pm
Yayy, Bliss is back! I find it even more intriguing on how he did that spoiler button effect. Sorry for not being around that much lads, hopefully I do not invoke the wrath of Prime. sweatdrop  

The Unknown Shadow

Snowball Sharpshooter

14,000 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Snowball Sharpshooter 50

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:51 am
Apologies if you were joking, but the spoiler button is a built-in BBCode tag on Gaia; Magni didn't do anything special. When posting in guilds, any tag features introduced after the Great Guild Downtime are not present on the "new post" page even though those new tags will work, since that was effectively the last time the Guild system was updated meaningfully.

We're easy-going, so no need to worry about any wrath, especially from our Benevolent Dictator, Magni-sama. heart  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:13 pm
Ah, yes. That was most painful as a time.
I woke up at 4 pm today after too much hedonism last night.
Also, new frustration, trying to get hold of Mermaids Forest in english, or at least subbed.
@Yoder, thanks for the rec and all, but I really can't take Star Driver seriously. It's just all so damn silly, what with the teenagers in bondage gear and the "Galactic Pretty Boy". Maybe I should watch it drunk.  

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:11 pm
No worries, Shadow. I promise that Prime isn't offended. cool

I knew that Ojiisan could refer to any older male, but the rest I was concerned with. Good to know I'm still who I think I am.

On a side note- getting real tired of Gaia mucking things up for me. Shockwave keeps crashing, but only on the friggin ads for Gaia. WTF?!  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:09 am
@Skreemer:
I found that anime subbed on anime-freak.org, but I can't vouch for the site's safety or quality since I've never used it.
Yeah, Star Driver is definitely half Mahou Shoujo (Sailor Moon and its ilk) and half Giant Robot as far as genre is concerned. It's not for everybody, so no need to continue if you don't like it. Granted, the over-the-top-ness is only surface-level.

@Magni: Get AdBlock Plus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adblock_Plus). The default block list, EasyList, blocks ads on almost every website and video player. The nice thing is that you can selectively white/black-list sites and pages, so you can apply it only to Gaia, for instance.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:56 am
Well, I'll give it a check. My antivirus setup scans and removes infections while leaving the content I want so I've never had problems.
Adblock Plus is awesome for seeing the internet without crap. Especially on Youtube.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:05 pm
Hmmmm . . . might be worth it. Does adblock take out the ads before youtube videos?  

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:56 am
Thank god yes. And no freaking autoplaying videos on websites.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:28 pm
Oh, yes, AdBlock removes pre-roll and mid-roll ads on every vid site except Hulu and those that use its player (it's impossible to circumvent Hulu the way it does ads, As far as I know). I've been using that extension for years, and I only ever disabled 1 ad block rule for AnimFreak.tv (which I trust and have used, unlike anime-freak.org) when they changed video layover ad. Even then, they update the list frequently enough that I was able to switch it back to default a week later.

You can also subscribe to other block lists w/ ABP, like the Social Media blocklist, which strips out all of those "Like" buttons you see on every article (I love it to death since it speeds up web page load times considerably on my slow net connection).

And since you can selectively white/black-list sites, you can keep ads on sites of video reviewers you might like to support (I leave the ads active on some sites, like ThatGuyWithTheGlasses, to help support the producers).  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

welian

Crew

Eloquent Conversationalist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:49 pm
                  -pops in-

Adblock is a godsend and Star Driver is hilarious with gorgeously animated scenery and is an amazing feel-good action/rom-com where the hero always saves the day.

Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4110 4111 4112 4113 4114 4115 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games