Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4113 4114 4115 4116 4117 4118 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

Jenni Deer

Dangerous Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:37 pm
Alexander Magnus

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

cool

That one is my favorite. Because, true story. xD  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:42 pm
Yoder
Of course, each alignments holds many interpretations, hence why the alignment systems continues to be a useful tool (though most advocating for its downfall misunderstand the usefulness of any personality quantification [MBTI, etc...]).
For instance, concepts like Creation, Destruction, and Vengeance can be associated with different alignments depending on context. Now, depending on how codified you make conceptual association with the alignments in a given game world, they can be seen as either integrally connected or a separate layer entirely.

You may have something. If I ever get to making an RPG book for the Department, I'll definitely take those into account. I'd rather build upon the existing system and redeem it than condemn it altogether.  

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:38 pm
eek wasn't expecting an existential breakdown.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:11 am
And I wasn't expecting a Protomen covers album, but here we are, with it coming out and it being part of their canon.  

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:06 pm
Thanks for the sanity check, Skreemer. Glad to know that thought isn't totally off-the-wall (I've never seen anybody posit that view on the net or in a tabletopper book before, so it made me a bit nervous).

sweatdrop Sorry, Magni. As my current role at my job shifts toward analytics, I find myself getting caught in an over-literal frame of mind at times. I have a bad habit of forgetting my personality due to college/work.
EDIT: That, and it could be due to my world-building itch, as I've been dying to continue world-building w/ my DM but haven't had enough time to dedicate to it (I blame this for my Horsemen response suddenly overflowing w/ ideas, uncharacteristic of the way I communicate in the RPR, but very much like how I world-build w/ my DM).  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:21 pm
Too many RPG fans are too content with keeping things "just as they are", yet curiously will only bat an eye when the rule change disadvantages them. I know people still bitter over the change to nWOD, even though the new system is much easier to use. These people are all Vampire:The Masquerade obsessives, naturally. Anything I can do to add some proper depth is a good thing.  

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:11 pm
I wasn't complaining, old friend. Just surprised. And as for the Horsemen idea, it seems to be as much a symptom of a game hangover as anything else. I find myself obsessed with that video game series for the moment. The first game was good, and the second was meh, but the story captivates me.

Never played the nWOD, only the old version. I miss that game, it was fun.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:02 pm
I've played a good few games of Promethean and Werewolf 2:Electric Boogaloo. The new system is a lot more fluid and ready to handle crossovers. Also the new version of Mummy and the new Demon... so much awesome.  

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100

welian

Crew

Eloquent Conversationalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:29 pm
                  Guys, I have a confession to make. I've been RPing on a new site, and holy s**t I never realized how broken Gaia's forum/guild system is until now. There are tiny lil sites that make Gaia look like part of the stone age.

this board doesn't have guilds tho which kinda sucks but whatever

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:15 am
That is all well and good... but I think gaia has some kind of horrible hold on us. The fact some of us spent money on here, myself included probably makes us go through loss aversion fallacy type thoughts. I remember even just invision boards were less broken.  

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100

welian

Crew

Eloquent Conversationalist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:29 am
                  Gaia has such a HUGE community, and I can't think of any other forum site that even compares, but yeah.

It's just weird, hanging out on other forums, and then coming back here and seeing how basic it is.

Gaia still has my favorite emotes though, and it has guilds, which are awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:08 pm
@Skreemer: And even if adherents of OWOD can make every other claim of its superiority to NWOD, the one claim they cannot make is that the mechanics are sound. Your chance of fumbling w/ your dice pool in OWOD fluctuates in the low levels and actually goes UP as you get to high levels, which was a result of not paying enough attention to the probabilities.

@Magni: Okay, just making sure. xp

I've never played either OWOD or NWOD, but I've read the free samples of both Vampire and Mage in both systems and love the writing and mechanics (ignoring the fault in OWOD's mechanics).

@Welian: True, Gaia's forum engine was based on phpBB, which is was a "meh" forum software even 10 years ago. On top of that, phpBB and Gaia never really improved their forum software significantly over the years. Thus, Gaia seems mediocre. Probably the best forum software I ever used was SMF.
Yes, the Guild system is quite epic, even if it never gets updated b/c it was probably shoddily coded.

Aside from the RPR, yes, the money I have spent is the other but much lesser reason I stay here.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:03 pm
In other news, I'll be in the cosplay arena next week, with my current Sheriff's Secret Police uniform.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:43 pm
I recently did the math on the main profile. I've been in Gaia at least 11 years now. I have tried several times to get away . . . and keep coming back. I don't know what the pull is to stay here, but it won't let me go. eek There isn't even a desire to find another place.

For me, it is friends. I have far too many good memories here, and too many friends that still hang about. *tackles Yoder for evidence of that statement*  

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:47 am
That is another thing. Though the primary group of friends I was involved with on here have moved to facebook for our prime location, people like you guys, my friend Charles, they keep me here. For me, it'll be ten years this summer.
Strange to think how far I've come in that time. When I started I was the typical aspie, unable to interact with people without help in public. And my writing and roleplaying were terrible.
Now... well I'm confident enough in my writing to be publishing it, I'm able to inspire fierce loyalty in my friends and I'm on the cusp of moving to the other side of the world.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4113 4114 4115 4116 4117 4118 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games