Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4138 4139 4140 4141 4142 4143 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:36 pm
Because his rage makes me laugh. (strong language)  
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:47 pm
So . . . I see that Gaia finally got around to making an official Tektek program. Suppose they kinda had to after shutting down the unofficial site. stare  

Magni Prime
Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:59 pm
The awfulness that is Steam Early Access / Greenlight. Anybody and everybody think they can throw together garbage and sell it... But, this is why I much prefer GOG.

Yeah, seems like something they should've had for a while. It also seems like something fairly trivial for them to do, honestly.
From what I heard, they took down TekTek, b/c TT started using Gaia avatars in their own advertising, which is infringement since they're then directly making money off of assets not their own.  
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:06 pm
Markiplier's rage makes me laugh . . . and the early access and steam games have become infamous lately. No oversight, just sales.

Yeah, I understand why TekTek got taken down, but at the same time was there ever a single doubt that they were an unofficial companion to Gaia? This was no surprise, and they allowed it for years. In all honesty, I have to think it was allowed to go on for so long out of pure laziness. Tektek did it, so Gaia didn't have to. When did they throw a fit? When money was involved. stare I'm fine with them making their own, but it just shows that they liked the service to mimic it now that it is gone. Prior to this, they allowed it because it didn't affect their bottom line. I would have thought them to annex the site and force it to join Gaia officially.

Oh well, it seems that is what is going on after a fashion anyway.

sorry, been a very bad night, and tomorrow is going to be the same.  

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250

welian

Crew

Eloquent Conversationalist

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:30 pm
                  Actually, what happened, is that the TekTek owner started advertising his own avatar/minigame/forum website on TekTek, but not like a normal ad - they were linked images, embedded directly into the page. Therefore, he was using Gaia material to advertise a rival site. He refused to change the ads, so Gaia sent a cease and desist letter.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:45 pm
*shrugs*  

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:58 am
From what I've seen the new official avi builder is actually a bit better than tektek. The inability to do poses on there always pissed me off bad.  
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:50 pm
Steam implemented Greenlight to alleviate their manual review process, but I believe the injury to Steam's reputation has cost it more than it ever got back (no manual review process & sales of greenlight games).
Like crowdfunding, Early Access isn't an awful idea; however, also like crowdfunding, it has been a mess, both for devs (not following-through on promises) and players (not checking expectations and understanding the risk). Granted, with how buggy many games are full-released nowadays, they could have benefited from Early Access.

Ah, I didn't know the full story. Thanks for filling in the gaps, Welian.

Yeah, the preview they gave a day or 2 ago looked quite nice, Skreemer.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:20 pm
On the subject of independant game development, I offer the following videos for several views.

From YO! Videogames . . .

and from Jim Sterling . . .  
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:52 pm
I watch Jimquisition regularly for his poignant thoughts on current events in the game industry, though I have a great many misgivings with him. xp  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:36 pm
Such is one of the joys many have forgotten . . . it is possible to like or enjoy a person without necessarily agreeing with every part of that person. Similarly, you can loathe an individual, but still admit when that person has good points or ideas. wink

I am not surprised in the least that you are smart enough to have realized those facts, old friend. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:56 am
Yeah. I'm aware there was that terrible quality dayZ rip off on greenlight a while back made by the idiot behind Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing which proved why vetting games and developers is important.
I may purchase Guns of Icarus.  

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:58 pm
@Magni: You praise me needlessly, Magni-sama. redface

@Skreemer: I only ever hear great things about GoI. If you like team-based multiplayer games, the market for them seems to keep getting strong contenders? Blizzard's OverWatch is one I have my eye on, though I don't normally like this genre.  
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:52 pm
My zine team are going to be working together. We plan to band together for adventure mode once we're practiced. Either use a big flying fortress with rockets and gatling guns as the Iron Privateers, or a big red Pyramidos, built for ramming with flamethrowers and harpoons. Or gatling guns. Because ORKZ ORKZ ORKZ NEED MORE DAKKA  

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:42 pm
Yoder
@Magni: You praise me needlessly, Magni-sama. redface

I only say what I know to be the truth. 3nodding  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4138 4139 4140 4141 4142 4143 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games