Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4146 4147 4148 4149 4150 4151 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:31 pm
Yeah, they've failed to deliver on too many promises of turning around that, at this point, I have 0 reason to trust them. The culture of the company itself has changed to pure profit motivation.

Speaking of the economy, I happened to get really lucky, or so I thought, when I sold an old item for $1 Billion, but only then did I realize inflation was so rampant that everything I wanted was more expensive than that (they used to be in the millions).

@Magni: A decent Game Theory episode, and I agree to an extent (I don't feel that MOBAs are a proper gateway drug for e-sports, as they are nigh-impenetrable to an observer when compared to the ease in understanding RL game/sport rules).

@Skreemer: Not on FB, actually. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:11 pm
Skreemer
Lucien Cooper
add me on facebook, both of you. you're some of my oldest friends.

But which one? I have a plethora of Lucien Coopers . . . sweatdrop

I love Game Theory. he may not always be right, but I like where he goes with things. Deadlock is a good series as well, hearing the debate of both sides of an issue.  

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:42 am
Alexander Magnus
Skreemer
Lucien Cooper
add me on facebook, both of you. you're some of my oldest friends.

But which one? I have a plethora of Lucien Coopers . . . sweatdrop

I love Game Theory. he may not always be right, but I like where he goes with things. Deadlock is a good series as well, hearing the debate of both sides of an issue.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100006223208284
This one. Anyone else same offer.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:54 pm
Aside from the Deadlock on Pac Man (which, to me, is nowhere near a deadlock, b/c the winner is obvious; plus, I also despise the primary video series of the opposing side), I have liked the Deadlocks.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:22 pm
I am neutral on the deadlock regarding art (Pac Man vs Last of Us). I see them as both very different forms of art. Show me a red canvas and a blue canvas. Then try to tell me that one is better than another. This is the argument I see. Both are art, but presented in different forms. Pac Man has an iconic staying power that has be interpreted and reinterpreted many times over decades and is still played. Last of Us has a gripping story that pulls at your heart in much the same way a movie or good book might. Both are art, but not in a way that can be compared.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:45 am
I can agree with your viewpoint.
The view I cannot fathom is disregarding Pac Man.
I hold my view primarily due to the point of historical significance, and Last Of US has yet to stand the test of time.

Of course, my views on art in general don't line up with those of the secular world's (I don't think everything is art, as that makes the definition meaningless; to use their terminology, I only see high art as actual art).  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:20 pm
Art is not my forte, so I can't say much. Still, I can see art as something that provokes thoughts and emotions in the audience. Pac Man has inspired joy and entertainment for decades, and proven it both has and will continue to be around for a very long time. That is a form of lasting art. The Last of Us has deep emotional impact that cannot be denied, but other than that seminal experience, it becomes lost in the remainder of the genre of zombie games. Hard to defend that as anything other than fantastic storytelling. Then again . . . so is Moby d**k.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:35 pm
Yeah, I concur. Last Of Us could have just as easily been a movie, perhaps even a book, and lost little to nothing for it. Gameplay is what makes games and should, to me, be the prime focus. I know each successive form of media adds something, and I'm not advocating the idea that the best movies are visuals above story or that radio is best sound design over story. I think games are unique in this aspect due to the interaction required and that they can be engaging without story. In a way, it's more like how music needn't have excessive "story" but thrives on the musicality and flow of the language's words used; I cannot think of a on-game visual medium parallel, but I'm sure there is one.

I also know that there are some modern games that do do amazing this with gameplay and story together, such as Spec Ops The Line.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:48 pm
For me, the favored games are those with an enthralling story. The gameplay has to be workable, the engine stable. Beyond that, I can tolerate quite a bit for the sake of a good story and execution. Legacy of Kain is a perfect example. The play is repeditive, and not exactly what one could call good. And yet, the story keeps me coming back every single time. A good script, expertly delivered . . . that is art to me.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:40 am
I definitely agree that LoK is artistic, but I don't see it as a game in that sense due to the gameplay being fairly poor in the majority of the 5 games; the cutscenes are really the primary vehicle (I do recognize the world experienced through the gameplay helps reinforce the bleakness of the setting, assiting the presentation of the plot), so I see it as more of a movie. That's just me, though, and I know asking for the perfect marriage of gameplay and narrative is usually too much (I can only think of Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind, System Shock 2, & Deus Ex 1).  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Alexander Magnus

Devoted Reveler

6,700 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:50 pm
I won't argue the gameplay, but until we have a genre of interactive movie, I'm forced by default to call it a game series. The variety of opponents, weapons (granted they are optional), and the way it is constructed is very cinematic. Still- without player input, it will not progress. That makes it a game, though one that is far better to watch/listen to than to play.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:22 am
I still recognize LoK as a game for all its trappings; I just don't praise it gameplay so much as its story and presentation. wink

Visual Novels (if you're not familiar, they're basically adventure games w/ everything except dialogue removed, but some have mini games) are the point where I seriously start to questions the definition of game, as some lack any choice (or, any meaningful choice), with "advance dialogue" being the sole input.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Magni Prime
Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:55 am
Sounds like some dating sims I have heard of. Though they can be a bit weird. I recently watched a player on youtube review one where the angle was all the characters . . . were birds.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:08 pm
Yeah, dating sims are a sub-genre of visual novels.
Oh, Hatoful; that one got a lot of attention, though it definitely hurt the genre's image. Sadly, Hatoful has now created a sub-sub-genre of quirky dating sims...  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Magni Prime
Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:51 pm
sub-sub-genre? i haven't heard of anything that meta since the diversification of metal  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4146 4147 4148 4149 4150 4151 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games