Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4170 4171 4172 4173 4174 4175 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:36 pm
Unfortunately I somehow lost the notes on the setting I was planning to use for the RP here. I remember most of it, but it'll be more high-level details and fill-in as we see fit (aka: if a character of that type shows up). *cracks knuckles* here goes nothing...  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:26 pm
waiting and seeing.  

Magni Prime
Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:00 am
Well, it's a work in progress. Instead of writing out the entire history explaining where each monster race came from, I started with some basics on the races. I still need to fill in the 2-factor choices within each race WoD-style, though I may just leave it at 1-factor (creature subtype) and forego being explicit on the 2nd factor (faction / ideology variant).

@Magni: While it may seem similar to the setting I was sharing with you a while back, it is distinct. All of the tabletop settings my DM & I have created have the same starting point and are "what if"s of the core setting (which is the one i shared with you).  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:07 pm
What Ifs are great. Nothing like a starting point and letting the players move on through and see where it goes. 3nodding  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:23 pm
Yeah, now if only i can find the time & energy at the same time, so that I can actually keep working on the RP. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:52 pm
I think that is a hidden benefit to only getting to game once a month. I get to avoid having to stress how things are going to map out for the immediate future for my group. I have time to figure it all out.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:03 pm
True, low frequency lessens time pressure.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:16 pm
Also allows me time to research and find new things to incorporate into the world to flesh it out some. One of the things I am most proud of is that this doesn't feel like I'm reading from a book. The world feels 'lived in' and organic. There are reasons for people acting/dressing a certain way. Societal norms that are different from one race to the next.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:27 am
I always try to flesh out and sufficiently detail aspects of my & my DM's settings, but I never know how successful we are. Reading the books on other published settings on DriveThruRPG tells me we're far from the worst, but also nowhere near the best (Monte Cook, John Wick, White Wolf). OF course, that's just the ideas in abstract, as far as out writing talent's ability to effectively communicate the ideas, we're likely a few pegs lower. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:02 pm
I like to think of it like a song. You hear the music, and note the lyrics . . . but you don't study the minutae of every moment in a song. The combination of them is far better than any one part. I try to touch on what I feel is important at any given moment, and let the imagination of my players fill in the gaps. That makes it far mroe interesting for them, and easier for me.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:40 pm
That's where the art/creativity of it comes in, which is the part that eludes me. I'm detail-oriented, so I have to force myself to leave mystery and resist laying out every detail that we've sketched out.  
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:48 pm
Just two days ago, I had a long skype conversation with my brother where we went over a lot of things. One thing that is both enthralling and terrifying for the players in my game is that . . . they don't have hit points. I have not given them a numerical representation of their health, so they don't know how tough they really are. ninja I told him that where the wound lands is just as important as how damaging it is. With point-value systems, I could stab you in the arm a dozen times and kill you. Short of bleeding out, that makes no sense. Instead, I like to factor in how one is hit as much as what they are hit with. The creativity works well there.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:45 pm
I've always liked systems that have a death spiral (negatives as you get in lower health) regardless of the balance problems it usually causes. thought it unfortunately adds much complexity, i find the systems that mech tabletoppers use interesting, where you robot's body has a grid overlay, and you can target specific parts.
Of course, you're speaking more freeform than the rigidity either of the example I mentioned have, but similar ideas.  
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:47 pm
I wanna play  

AlwynRowanwind

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:51 pm
Me too, Alwyn.

The death spiral is not bad, and it makes sense that you do more poorly as you become more and more wounded. Video games like Resident Evil do this by slowing down your walking speed as you become injured. Such hampers your ability to run away.

most games I am aware of allow you to aim specifically for a spot on an enemy, and there are difficulty adjustments to take into account. I'll add those in if they become necessary. Seems only fair.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4170 4171 4172 4173 4174 4175 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games