Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4171 4172 4173 4174 4175 4176 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:08 pm
I really need to work on the WIP RP; it's been dormant for too long.

Oh, I love the death spiral; I was only commenting that from a gameplay balance perspective in typical high-fantasy tabletoppers, it's hard to balance for. Granted, high fantasy isn't really the right venue for the death spiral anyway, as that fits a more realistic or grittier/darker genre far better.

True, even D&D lets you perform called shots at +4 AC, though my DM disallows this due to massive potential for abuse (beheading and such), since players would see it as unfair if they were used against them. The called shot mechanic isn't well thought-out, it would seem; either that or it is being used beyond its original intent.  
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:04 pm
I prefer to (at least in this venue for the moment) apply the penalties in a more practical way. Say a person has a broken arm. On paper, that might be a -2 to any rolls because of overall damage. I disagree. It would provide no demonstrable detriment to running or perception. It would, however, provide a significant penalty to strength or dexterity. The damage should be factored into rolls accordingly. That said, such can get very complicated very quickly.

I remember that there was a game where we ended up fighting a huge baddie, a priestess that became the avatar for a vengeful deity. We had a member of the party that had a unique ability called a "Demon Deathblow," a special attack that would negate armor and go straight to hit points. He tried over and over again with a deathblow called shot to the back of the neck of the avatar. He had massive penalties, but then on somewhere around the 6th or 8th try he got a natural 20. Beheaded the thing, and ended a massive battle that our GM had planned. it was glorious.  

Magni Prime
Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:35 am
Pragmatic adjudication of individual scenarios is why it's hard to make a firm rule around it, because it is often relies heavily on the GM's wisdom.

That's an awesome anecdote. Those are the moments you remember years later, for sure.  
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:19 pm
Just another of my favored war stories. I have more than a few of those. cool

Any hard rule should be ammended. For instance, in the world where I am running, one of the three players actually created that world. For the current game, it is a variant, and he said to me that because of how I play/run, I know more about his world than he does. He focused on making the map, and then tried to make stories based on that. Why is this called that? What would this do for people? For me . . . I took the reverse. I focused on the people and societies. Fleshing out what it would mean to be an elf, dwarf, wolfen, etc. How would those races interact and what kind of culture would you expect to find in them. Sure, the mountains and seas are important, but the people there- that was my focus, and it is working well thus far.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:09 pm
I definitely agree that the role of the DM & players in shaping the world is critical and is ultimately why those PC games that simulate a tabletopper w/o the DM are always misses; Neverwinter Nights succeeded, but only b/c 1 player was a DM, and it had robust campaign/modding tools
There are many ways to approach a setting, top-down, bottom-up, or topically. I'm a very top-down person, loving to answer the big questions and craft the history and generalities.  
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:32 pm
I'm just about done helping others. No. Scratch that. I'm ******** done for a while. I'm tired of being shat upon by others. When they need something, I do the right thing. When I ask for something, I'm the last person to be considered for anything. Gave up a day off to cover a guy who had a breakdown, and I heard he was worried about losing hours. So I don't have to work six days this week, He was to take over my day tomorrow.
Oh, well, uh, that is, umm . . . . Yeah, thanks. ******** bullshit. I'm pulling 8.5-10 hours a day almost every day, and when I need a break? Too bad. ******** off.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:22 pm
That's really rotten. It's terrible how many places treat their workers, just scraping by the edge of "legal". Well, aside from legality, they're usually far from ethical. Vent all you need, as that's an incredibly frustrating situation.  
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:48 pm
Well, that was a coworker. Happened again today. a new hire called off the moment the insider came in today. Right when he is due in, he called off. I mean the minute. So, guess who got called in- and then yelled at because I went in early. Ticked spouse, going to work early, and a pile of feh.

Naturally, I lived through it, but still got really upset at being yelled at for being dependable.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Nine-Tails927

Vicious Tactician

3,550 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:28 pm
I'm sorry to hear about that Prime, as it is not as rare as most think about how people suffer from verbal lashings just for doing their job the correct way. Tends to bring down morale and even lose jobs in the process. But I digress, lets leave this depressing subject for at least a moment more.

Hello everyone, I'm more like a returning member than a newbie, having arrived after self-exile from having my time taken up at Job Corp, and I hope to re-integrate back into this community.  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:39 am
Hello!
Nice to meet you all. Can't wait to start rp after the infernal finals i endured.  

Serena of Pretensa

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:54 pm
I vaguely recognize you, Tails. Good to see you about. I fear this place is nowhere near as active as it used to be. Personally, I blame Gaia. It used to be a site geared specifically toward online RP, but the focus has long since shifted away from that. Either way, welcome back and good to see you.

Serena, welcome to our little corner of the net. Feel free to ask and look around to your heart's content. *warm smile and bow*  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:53 pm
Welcome back, Nine Tails.
Welcome, Serena.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Nine-Tails927

Vicious Tactician

3,550 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:07 am
I am honestly surprised somewhat that I am recalled by you in any way, Prime. None the less, Its good to be home in the community and I hope that, over the summer time, that others might possibly return. Otherwise, its not like I can even find my last posts on here from about over a year ago, so I'll just start out new and fresh.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:49 pm
You have a somewhat interesting and familiar countenance, friend. You are most welcome to return and hang out, though the place has seen far more active days.

I apologize for the delay in responding, I had a family emergency. We were stranded out of state, and I just got home. sweatdrop  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:44 pm
@Magni: Glad you got back safely!

@Nine: Some oldbies pop in now and then, but the only regulars are Magni, Skreemer, & me.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4171 4172 4173 4174 4175 4176 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games