Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4178 4179 4180 4181 4182 4183 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:44 pm
Can you go in increments between 5 & 10?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:26 pm
So, tonight my store manager was MIA. No call, no show. tonight, my assistant manager posted that he was looking for a new job anywhere near his home. I had to do my best at being the manager and doing her job tonight.

My store is going down in flames.  

Magni Prime
Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:26 pm
Oh dear...  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:11 pm
Well, my manager has officially quit.

The assistant manager has stepped down, and is actively hunting other employ.

The district manager is going to work 7 open-to-close shifts this week, so he has taken full control of the store . . . and that is not a good thing. He has a very abrasive personality and has yet to truly understand what he has done.

When I like you, I tend to talk informally, frequently, and use swearing liberally. When I don't like you, I tend to be quiet and very polite. So far, he has become mildly annoyed at how I call him 'sir.' He even went as far as to tell me to relax . . . to which I honestly replied "I am relaxed, sir."

We will see what happens.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:45 pm
I hope your situation doesn't worsen further, friend.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:27 pm
Things seem to be levelling out. not precisely a good situation, but it at least is still functional. Don't get me wrong, I still think he is a prime asshat. Worse yet, his wife has started coming in to help (evidently she is about as good as he is in our franchise). They exhibit patterns of behavior and terminology that only support that I cannot ever relax around them. They are not what I would call "Good people."

That said, the store is still functioning, and I keep my proverbial head down. My job search still continues, and my slogging through freelance writing is moving ahead as well. we shall see how things go.

What of you? How are you doing, my good friend? Are you still overworking yourself so heartily? You shouldn't be doing that. sad  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:45 am
Perhaps you could become manager in that store if things start going better, if that would help?

2 weeks ago I was supposed to be on vacation, but I ended up workign over 30 hours. Still, compared to 50, that's some manner of break. I'm just looking forward to Thanksgiving week, which I will be taking off entirely w/ no excuses or exceptions.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:27 pm
I'm fairly certain that I could have the manager's position if I wanted it. But at the treatment given for only 7.50 an hour? They can keep it. Not worth it.

That said, we have some new hires that are actually really fun. Last night we had a night without the district manager, and we joked and had a wonderful time. A reminder that this job doesn't have to suck quite so badly.

I am so sorry, good sir. Please take your break soon- you deserve far better treatment.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:39 pm
I don't blame you at all.

Good to hear things have improved somewhat.

I shouldn't complain; my problems are trivial compared to yours.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:41 pm
So this happened tonight. felt like sharing.

kinda mixed feelings now.

I was informed via email of my schedule this week, and tomorrow I was to pull an open to close. 13 hours. Minimal help. Then, a short time ago I was told to come in an hour early tomorrow, so that I can open the store for the insider- one of the owners that doesn't know how to open a store and refuses to do anything more than the minimum.

I went off on em. I told the district manager "Seriously?" and though I refrained from using profanity and personal attacks, I said this is why I refused to become a manager. Extra work for no extra pay, benefits, or respect. I will do as is required of me, but this is rediculous. He said my point was made, and he won't confuse me for a manager, then used my first name. At work and in every single interaction I have ever had, he used my middle name, as is my request. This time he said my first name.

My rage tells me good. You stood up for yourself. There is no reason you should have to work 14 hours, cover for an owner, and deal with that level of s**t. The pragmatist in me worries that I might lose hours and be punished for this. However . . . I covered dayshift with this owner before, and now I have to again as well as open the store again. The Manager is saying he will cover my evening shift (taking hours away from me, but I am having car trouble again, so whoot). I'm mixed, because I told him professionally to piss off, but I can't afford to lose the job.

We will see what happens.

*snort* I am working on my freelance work, and right now it is talking about self-leadership. This quote just came across me and had to be paraphrased. Somehow I think it was more than coincidence.

Quote:
Speak Up

We each have a voice, but don’t always use it. Muhammad Ali used his voice to great effect. Whether in promoting his fights, making fun of his opponents, or in speaking his principles, he spoke up.

Muhammad Ali, spoke to ‘Truth to Power’ when he refused conscription to enter the U.S Army and fight in Vietnam. As a conscientious objector he was sentenced to 5-years imprisonment and stripped of his heavyweight title. Ali did not go to jail and his voice was heard by the Supreme Court, 4-years later, who acquitted him.

Speaking up can have a price, but so can remaining silent. If we do not speak our truth, we are not living authentically and can be complicit if wrong is done and we said nothing.

“I know where I’m going and I know the truth, and I don’t have to be what you want me to be. I’m free to be what I want.” - Muhammad Ali

And here is my paraphrase, with an element of Babylon 5 added in for good measure.

Quote:
Every day we are presented with countless choices. Some are small such as what to wear for the day, or what television program to watch. Others are far more significant such as quitting a job, or refusing to perform a task. Ali used his voice to taunt his opponents famously, and was very vocal about his principles. He objected heavily to the war in Vietnam, and when conscripted to fight in the war, he refused. That refusal cost him his heavyweight title and sentenced him to 5 years in jail. Ali did not go to jail, and four years later was acquitted of all charges by the Supreme Court. We are free to make the choices we must, and are required to live with the consequences. Sometimes standing up and using your voice has a price, but so does staying silent.

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:42 pm
Yoder
I don't blame you at all.

Good to hear things have improved somewhat.

I shouldn't complain; my problems are trivial compared to yours.

Complain away, old friend. When I complain about my problems, I've complained about my problems. When I listen to help you vent, I am helping you.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:56 pm
Tough call, but you had to draw a line in the sand eventually. I can only hope they will respect you for it in the long run.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:56 am
Kinda threw out the baby with the bath water a bit, given that my hours were cut short. Instead of the open to close, I did a nearly 7 hr shift. I wasn't complaining. we will see where it pans out, but the district manager refused to talk to or even look at me when he came in. Kinda butthurt for asking me do to so much more than my job entails, and then I stood up for myself.

I had already did an opening where I came in early for the owner. In that instance, he did the bare minimum while I did much of the work that day. This was asking me to do an open-to-close and that as well, so it was not a one-time thing. It was escalating. I know I did the right thing.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:26 pm
No path was without potential problems; maybe after a bit of cooling you can start up casual conversation to reduce awkwardness?  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:02 pm
Rumors are circulating that the store is going to close before the new year, so it might be moot . . . and as long as the quality of my work doesn't dip- he can take a flying leap. It is no exaggeration to say he is brash, arrogant, rude, and sadistic. That is from a psychologist that has watched his interactions drive away a good worker or three, and threaten to fire dedicated people just because he can.

His friendship, I can do without.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4178 4179 4180 4181 4182 4183 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games