Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Roleplay Refuge

Back to Guilds

A welcome and friendly place where many Role Plays are encouraged 

Tags: Role Playing, Community 

Reply Main Forum
The OOC Hangout Thread (New people introduce yourself here!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4181 4182 4183 4184 4185 4186 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Curiosity: How many still visit this place? Make a mark, and get some gold.
  I still exist!
View Results

Magni Prime
Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:59 pm
here is an interesting rebuttal I found a few days ago.

http://time.com/4558510/electoral-college-history-slavery/  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:11 pm
Hmm... An interesting take on it, though I'm not sold on the narrative. I will definitely concede the EC isn't perfect, but it's a balance between national popular vote (in which Blue would win too often [and this would imply the US is a social direct democracy, but we're a democratic constitutional republic]) and 1 vote per state (in which Red would win too often [no idea what this would be called]), so it seems to at least be preventing the extremes.  

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:57 pm
With as much as people are apt to cry out that our votes matter, a democracy should run on the popular vote. As it stands, it seems that every time a vote is held, the electoral college overrides what people want to some degree. That gives the impression that your vote does not matter, only the EC matters, making voting a moot point.

as for one side winning too often, is that not the point? If the populace wants A, regardless of how often A wins, should that not be the case? Balance should be maintained by the populace. If the people of a country touted at every possible turn as a democracy voted a certain way, it should reflect that in our leadership. Instead, we live in an oligarchy that has been bought and paid for for decades. This is the result of that process.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:55 am
Hi! I'm Synxa. Here to RP and make friends!  

Synxa

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:43 pm
@Magni: Well, one's vote matters at the state level, and from there how it is rolled up is out of your control. I know the individual in the EC can manually override the November vote in December, but that's a part I dislike as well.
While I definitely don't like the establishment/elites that form the effective oligarchy of today, I feel like direct democracy would lead to certain laws being rolled-back & re-applied ad nauseum as power shifts back and forth between Red & Blue every couple elections.

@Synxa: Welcome! biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:11 pm
Latest counts put Clinton at 1.7 million votes more than Trump. The EC is effectively saying that nearly one and three-quarter million people don't count because their states went a certain way. The EC makes no sense, and wouldn't you want a democracy to pay attention to the will of the people? Ugh, I'll drop it . . . but hold fast to the idea that this is beyond ridiculous.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:13 am
I agree.

*tempted* Early black friday / cyber monday sales on anime...  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:53 pm
I have mixed feelings on black friday. We scrimp and save, and barely have enough to shop for christmas stuff, and yet every year I am forced to drive my wife around for hours and hours to go to a variety of stores.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:22 pm
I could never do the physical Black Friday, too many people. Cyber Monday is my thing, in the safety of a browser.
I can feel your pain though, I always loathed tagging along w/ my mother on her errands when I was small.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:22 pm
It's a tradition more than anything else. Of course, we are damn near broke, so things are not going to be massively fun . . . and I have to do all the driving. On the other hand, it is the only time we can reliably do much shopping for the upcoming holiday.

Never did much online shopping except for my transformers. Even that is because they are not available anywhere else.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:33 pm
I hope you had an enjoyable Thanksgiving & Black Friday despite what usually comes with it for you. smile

I'm slowly turning into a hermit, and brick & mortar stores don't cater to otaku very much anymore, at least in my area; Amazon usually beats them price-wise even when they have a given series. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:19 pm
It was . . . frankly, it was a mess. So many things went wrong, and much of it felt meaningless.

As for the online thing, it is appealing. Unfortunately, we have not done much of that. Online is not something my wife is comfortable with, and the only places I shop for things are for extraordinarily expensive toys. I'd have but one or two things under the tree if I did that. As it stands, I will have 4. whoot. I'll be getting the new Ratchet and Clank reboot for the PS4, the Bioshock collection, and a couple transformers. I may be able to earn enough on Fiverr to purchase Dishonored 2 and put it under the tree as well. Just to round things out with another gift.

The joys of being an adult- knowing that Santa is just parents doing the very best they can for everybody with money they likely don't have.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:16 pm
Alas, the holidays for adults are a mixed bag, sadly. Makes me wonder if society's fixation on childhood/innocence sets us up for disappointment in adult life.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:21 pm
Oh, the psychological rants I could go on here.  

Magni Prime
Captain

14,950 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Yoder

Invisible Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:57 pm
I can imagine, and feel free - could be a fun discussion.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4181 4182 4183 4184 4185 4186 ... 4221 4222 4223 4224 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games