Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
::Grill 13 Restaurant:: NEW Pictures on the Menu! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 459 460 461 462 463 464 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:43 am
Well, technically speaking, today is the release date, so if they ship it on time... Actually, I'm gonna go across the street and see if Blockbuster has it.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:22 pm
Well, after checking at Blockbuster, 1 Microplay, 2 EB Games stores, finally, I found a copy at Best Buy. Here's my first impression:

As expected, visually, it's pretty unimpressive. The graphics look only slightly better than the previous generation. If the PS3 was PS2, then these graphics woulc be equivalent to Dreamcast. And if I didn't see any screenshots or trailers, I would've been severely disappointed, but since I was already expecting it, I'm not too pissed. They did improve on the faces of the characters some, but the bodies still look poorly made. Same with the levels, they're pretty, but nothing Awe inspiring. Normally, I'd say it's not about the graphics, but considering that when I first played SH2 (before I had a gamecube) and when I saw the graphics I said, "Who needs REmake, when I have Silent Hill 2?" To see sub-par graphics on a Silent Hill game is a bit of a let down.
Gameplay... Not great. Yes, it's over the shoulder, but sidestepping is a standard issue, which makes this game feel like Syphon Filter, control wise.
Here's the biggest let down of all, though. So far... Not scary.
I've gotten well into the game and so far, the atmosphere is dark and broody, but not scary. People were skeptical about Origins not being scary, but Origins had a creepier atmosphere than this game, so far.

Here's what I DID like about it. So far the narrative seems pretty interesting, though nothing too definitive yet, but it seems intriguing.
The gameplay itself seems a lot less like a survival horror game and a lot more like an investigative thriller, along the lines of Still Life, except not point and click. And it's got enemies as minor obstacles. It seems like it might just be the longest Silent Hill game, though. At least by the looks of it, it seems like there's gonna be a lot of gameplay hours, because it's really non-linear.
Personally, I love investigative thriller type games, so I don't mind this so much, but buyer beware.
One thing's for sure, this game is by far more removed from 'Silent Hill' than any of its sequels, so far. Though not nearly as removed as RE4, of course.
All in all, it seems like a pretty good game. Just don't expect the charm of Silent Hill.
Who knows, maybe things will turn around, and I'll be soiling myself from fright.

EDIT: Oh, and yes, Notte, there are vocals on the soundtrack. One song, so far.  

Biohazard EXTREME

NotteRequiem
Crew

6,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:21 pm
Well, at least we KNOW the soundtrack will deliver. That's for damn sure.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:32 pm
I just picked it up myself about an hour ago. biggrin Now I gotta go play it! I dunno if Bio did, but I'm waiting (or have waited, rather) until dark to play. I can't wait! razz And yes. Akira Yamaoka and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn are rare to disappoint. As in they never have before. I hope it holds up! biggrin  

Canas Renvall
Vice Captain

Mr. Kennedy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:20 pm
Been playing for about 3 hours now. The graphics are okay. Alex's model and expressions are really great, they got lazy with the other characters. The game isn't scary at all so far, one part made me jump at the beginning. Right when I was feeling creeped out the level ended.

The game is good so far. But like Bio said, there is some sort of Silent Hillyness missing.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:36 pm
Played for about an hour and a half. Two things scared me in the beginning. xd Other than that, it's much more about exploration I think. Bio's right; it's pretty open-ended. But it just isn't truly dark yet. As in, I can still see stuff. razz Maybe I'll get more creeped out when that happens. After all, that's what Silent Hill is all about. biggrin  

Canas Renvall
Vice Captain

Mr. Kennedy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:47 pm
Yeah a lot of exploring. I explored the mayor's house for a bit and thought that was pretty cool. Only been in the hell world twice, nothing crazy yet. The monsters are real in your face, and tough as hell. Siam beat me like little girl.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:23 pm
I really doubt you'll see total darkness. The one thing that made Silent Hill so creepy was due to the graphical limitations, so they had total darkness and only loaded one bit at a time, which you couldn't see them load it, because it was dark. But now that they can load up big levels, they don't need to make it total darkness, so they won't.

Also, there's a bit of homage to Western Horror games in it. One of the streets is called "Craven".

But damn! You know how there's so many conventions from the movie? The nurses, the way the world turns dark... Well now there's also a painting which you have to cut through, in a hotel. Real original.

EDIT: Oh! I just figured out who Alex looks like.. and for some reason I'm thinking it's on purpose. His facial features, I find, resemble Alex Murphy, a.k.a. Robocop:

Just do your best and imagine him with hair.  

Biohazard EXTREME

Mr. Kennedy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:40 pm
Yeah a lot of inspiration from the movie. But the nurses are fun to look at while they slash at you, looks awesome.

Can't see the picture.

So in the game the hallway lights start turning off one by one until it's pitch black. I get all giddy and start walking real slow. At the end of the hallway the lights turn back on, lame.

EDIT

Spoilers yeah?:
Guys in gasmasks who remind me a lot of the miners from the movie just assaulted Alex's house. Probably goons from The Order but still pretty lame.

Alright, I guess I'll continue tomorrow.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:31 pm
Check the picture now.

Okay, so I was deceived... Further down the line... It does get creepy. When you start descending (and you'll know what I mean), the atmosphere does get pretty dreadful.
Like, being stuck in Freddy Krueger's boiler room dreadful.
Hope it gets worse.
Imagine if that was their plan all along? Start off slow, then gradually build the scare factor until you're sleeping with the lights on... During the day. We'll find out, I guess. Depending on how long it is, I want to beat if by tomorrow. Even if not, I'll definitely put it a lot of gameplay hours.  

Biohazard EXTREME

NotteRequiem
Crew

6,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:29 am
heart It's so exciting to read your reviews so far heart  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:02 am
Still not able to see the picture. sweatdrop At least I'm nt able to.  

Vankala

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:09 pm
Here, I photobucketed it:

User Image

Just imagine that facial geometry with hair and eyebrows.

Alright, now, onto puttin in some heavy game time.

EDIT:

Well, I just finished it (Got the bad ending >.<). Good game. Not great. Lots of glitches, and sound is inconsistent. Some parts are too quiet, some are too loud, etc.
The plot was good, as well as the acting. If this is indeed the last Silent Hill game, I wouldn't say it's worthy of being the grand finale of the franchise, but we'll see. All in all, it feels like a B title, (as opposed to Silent Hill 3, which was polished like a AAA title.) But it was enjoyable. Still, I would've rather had Team Silent make it. Don't send a boy (America) to do a man's (Japan's) job.

Now all that's left to do is wait and see how this title grows on me.
Afterall, first impressions mean diddly squat. I thought RE4 was awesome the first time I played it.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:14 pm
I keep meaning to pick up a copy of Silent Hill 3. I'd play 2, but playing it would scar me for life, just watching a playthrough has done enough damage to make me hate long dark halls. <.<;  

Javanomicron

Canas Renvall
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:15 pm
3 ain't much better, hun. biggrin  
::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 459 460 461 462 463 464 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games