Welcome to Gaia! ::

Numenore - A LOTR Community

Back to Guilds

Tags: Lotr, Tolkien 

Reply Númenórë - A LOTR Community
Eambar: Off-Topic Thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 362 363 364 365 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Khorkalba

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:40 pm
Nimbrethil

Longbow UK
Nimbrethil
"Truth", eh? I may be undermining my argument here, but isn't history largely a matter of interpretation? smile

A lot of it is, but there is a lot that we do know for certain. Take the second world war for example; I have yet to see one successful film based around this period that was completely (or even near-completely) accurate.

"Completely accurate" is a loaded phrase in this case, though. Know what I mean? If people are recording history (I'm going to resist the urge to put "history" in quotation marks, because it looks stupid doing that all the time), then it's going to be biased and unobjective in some way. Even if the "facts" (sorry, can't help it) are there, different spins can be put on them depending on who writes about it. History wasn't written by the losing side.

Yes, I know that a lot of history is biased... and when I said "there is a lot that we do know for certain" I was referring to common facts such as... we know for certain that a man named Vassili Zaitsev existed, and we know the basic facts surrounding him, but the movie(Enemy at the Gates) stretches the truth in order to appeal to the audience. That doesn't make it any lesser of a movie though.

If that makes no sense at all, just ignor it. It's nearly 3am here and my concentration's failing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:43 pm
Longbow UK
Yes, I know that a lot of history is biased... and when I said "there is a lot that we do know for certain" I was referring to common facts such as... we know for certain that a man named Vassili Zaitsev existed, and we know the basic facts surrounding him, but the movie(Enemy at the Gates) stretches the truth in order to appeal to the audience. That doesn't make it any lesser of a movie though.

So why not just make up a new story with fictional characters? (Was Enemy at the Gates the one with the Russian snipers? Ed Harris as the German guy?)  

Nimbrethil

Khorkalba

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:50 pm
Nimbrethil
Longbow UK

So why not just make up a new story with fictional characters? (Was Enemy at the Gates the one with the Russian snipers? Ed Harris as the German guy?)

Yes, it was.

And making up new characters would defeat the object of basing the movie on a historic event. xp
You have to allow a bit of truth-bending.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:55 pm
Longbow UK
Nimbrethil
Longbow UK

Yes, it was.

And making up new characters would defeat the object of basing the movie on a historic event. xp
You have to allow a bit of truth-bending.

Alright, I'll stop. xd Truth is just so hard to come by. I like to hold onto it if I happen to find some.  

Nimbrethil

Khorkalba

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:12 pm
Nimbrethil

Alright, I'll stop. xd Truth is just so hard to come by. I like to hold onto it if I happen to find some.

xp
Truth is such a rare thing to come across these days...

Anyway, I need to get some sleep before I collapse at the keyboard. xd Cya.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:18 pm
Have fun...sleeping o.O xp  

Zurgi

Falathrim

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:03 pm
No, I wasn't being sarcastic. We know history is biased. No need to put in in quotes to show it.

Central nervous system? I was too busy giggling like a little schoolgirl to notice that it wasn't horribly out of place. When I did finally notice, I looked back, realized it made me giggle like a little schoolgirl, and accepted it.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:17 pm
Ouch... you're nasty tonight. xp  

Nimbrethil

Falathrim

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:06 pm
...okay. sweatdrop

Okay, Gaia? When I tell you to keep me logged in, that means I want you to keep me logged in, okay?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:33 am
that happened to me, last night too...its weird! ninja  

Thaxul

treythea

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:05 am
Falathrim
...okay. sweatdrop

Okay, Gaia? When I tell you to keep me logged in, that means I want you to keep me logged in, okay?

That keeps happeneing to me, too.. but my compy's being all virusy...  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:52 am
It's happening to everyone, I think. I just leave Gaia open...  

Khorkalba

Thaxul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:20 am
Longbow UK
It's happening to everyone, I think. I just leave Gaia open...

it happened to me when i was just browsing.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:36 pm
Falathrim
No, I wasn't being sarcastic. We know history is biased. No need to put in in quotes to show it.

Central nervous system? I was too busy giggling like a little schoolgirl to notice that it wasn't horribly out of place. When I did finally notice, I looked back, realized it made me giggle like a little schoolgirl, and accepted it.

*giggles like a little schoolgirl at the image of Falathrim giggling like a little schoolgirl*
xd xd xd  

Slacktopian

Girl-Crazy Smoker

Zurgi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:34 pm
Every day Gaia logs me out again...>_< So annoying.  
Númenórë - A LOTR Community

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 362 363 364 365 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games