Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "COS" ^Can O Spam^
Moonie's Ramblings Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 482 483 484 485 486 487 ... 2595 2596 2597 2598 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Prof. Moonie
Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:43 pm
*chuckles* I just referenced to the episode of "To The Ends of the Earth" in one of my responses to a classmate's CR for 17th/18th C. Lit. class. ^.^;  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:49 pm
"Here I referred to the extraordinary work of a whole range of non-Western writers and activists, including Tagore, Fanon, C.L. R. James, Yeats, and many others, figures who have given integrity to anti-imperialist culture resistance." ~ Edward W. Said

Interesting to actually come across a mention of Fanon after reading his book - Black Skin White Masks.  

Prof. Moonie
Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50

Prof. Moonie
Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:19 pm
La di da...  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:29 pm
*dances to music*  

Prof. Moonie
Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50

Prof. Moonie
Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:43 pm
Okay, I'm going to go read my other homework assignment in the living room. Otherwise, I'll keep getting distracted by random stuff on the computer. So, talk to you later.

#f51379
#a51cba

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:06 pm
Only stopping by briefly to write down some particular quotes that have stood out to me in the book I'm reading... and, as you may have noticed, a brief intermission of color-ness (since I want to do this fairly quickly and have no time to copy the color codes over into TekTek).

"(These entertainments were, by analogy, the crossword puzzles and sudoko for the privileged of the period.) The answers to these riddles all relate to love: courtly, requited and unrequited, and accompanied by emotions such as longing and jealousy..." (xi)

"...the kitchen is the scene of philosophical ferment and scientific experiment (par. 28 )..." (34)  

Prof. Moonie
Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50

Prof. Moonie
Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:19 pm
Back again to post more quotes, which I'll do periodically as I come across them. Once again I won't be using any colors at this time - but do not fear, the colors will return again when I am not wrestling with time to finish reading such a large text, and to type out the quotes quickly.

---

"For when I consider how the Angelic Doctor, St. Thomas Aquinas, on being asked of his silence before his teacher Albertus Magnus, responded that he kept quiet because he could say nothing worthy of Albertus, then how much more fitting it is that I should keep quiet - not like the Saint from modesty, but rather because, in truth, I am unable to say anything worthy of you." (39)

Reminds me a bit of King Lear and his youngest daughter.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:30 pm
"In this way, of those things that cannot be spoken, it must be said that they cannot be spoken, so that it may be known that silence is kept not for lack of things to say, but because the many things there are to say cannot be contained in mere words." (70)  

Prof. Moonie
Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50

Prof. Moonie
Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 pm
"With this question comes the reflection that even learned men were forbidden to read the Song of Songs, and indeed Genesis, before they reached the age of thirty: the latter text because of its difficulty, and the former so that with the sweetness of those epithalamiums, imprudent youth might not be stirred to carnal feelings." (45)

It is intriguing that Sor Juana states that Genesis is a difficult piece. From what I've read of the Bible, Genesis is probably one of more easier selections to understand the rest. I think there are other pieces that could be considered "difficult," when being compared with Genesis.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:41 pm
"...y ad impossibilia nemo tenetur..." (46)

"..."no one is obliged to do the impossible." (47)  

Prof. Moonie
Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50

Prof. Moonie
Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:47 pm
"I remember that in those days, though I was as greedy for treats as children usually are at that age, I would abstain from eating cheese, because I heard tell that it made people stupid, and the desire to learn was stronger for me than the desire to eat - powerful as this is in children." (49)

The cheese part amuses me. I have never heard such... tales, if I may be so bold.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:53 pm
"And my interest was so intense, that although in women (and especially in the very bloom of youth) the natural adornment of hair is so esteemed, I would cut off four to six fingerlengths of my hair, measuring how long it had been before. And I made myself a rule that if by the time it had grown back to the same length I did not know such and such a thing that I intended to study, then I would cut my hair off again to punish my dull-wittedness." (51)

I could never do such a thing; I love my long hair way too much. Hence the reason why I despise my hair being any shorter than my shoulders, and refuse to dye it ((it's already a beautiful color on it's own, and it naturally changes colors during the seasons [brown during the winter, golden blond during the spring and summer (due to being bleached by the sun), and a strawberry blond during the fall])).  

Prof. Moonie
Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50

Prof. Moonie
Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:57 pm
"...for who could fathom the style of the Queen of Sciences without knowing that of her handmaidens?" (53)

I wonder... what is this Queen of Sciences? Is it the Holy Theology? Or is it the arts? I can't really tell... at least from how I'm reading it.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:30 pm
Off to watch TV. Later.  

Prof. Moonie
Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50

Prof. Moonie
Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:48 pm
Hello everyone. I'm back. And with color again, lol.  
"COS" ^Can O Spam^

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 482 483 484 485 486 487 ... 2595 2596 2597 2598 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games