Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
"Oh, my God!" Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:15 pm
I guess, but this question came up because I was yelled at for using it by a teacher in school. I was just wondering if using that word, in those circumstances, could actually be considered a 'curse word' and therefore prohibited by school rules.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:57 am
I try to use Atheist curses as often as I can.

"Great Darwin's ghost!" never really caught on, though.

I mainly use Pastafarian cursing now, instead.

Dark Pieman

Dark Pieman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:00 pm
PickleBoy
I say "Jesus H Christ" a lot. Dunno why. And I also say "Oh my gods...." My friend asked me once why I said the H and I couldn't really tell her why. I said its cause it sounded better than saying "Jesus T Christ." but she just looked at me funny. And when I say "Oh my gods..." Around one of my friends she gets really mad and says "You're not a Pagan Kelsey, stop it." Uh... I went through a pagan phase? I dunno... Don't see why people get so upset about it really....

You know what drives me batty? When the radio bleeps out god in songs but keeps b***h. hmmm......

I heard a "G** Damn" once, seriously.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:50 pm
ahaha Welllll ... I say Oh my God out of habit too, sometimes I catch myself and it comes out like Gaawww... o___o
But I love changing it up. lol I often say Oh My v****a! or Oh My Sausage! Or crap, fidlesticks, or peoples names or something.
And I say Oh My Science frequently. ;3 Its gotton a couple people mad.

blindwolf

Asterisk07

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:54 pm
My parents say god damit and jesus christ and all that good stuff practly each and everyday sense I was born, its worped into my mind to use those and I use them as just words to just...well...it just comes natural sweatdrop a few months ago when I was at a different school I sayed it really realy quitly to myself because I had just pissed off a girl I really really liked and her friend like 10 feet away walks over and wont let me live it down about saying it, she ended the dispute by saying I was (I forgot the word, I have never heard that word before in my life though) and that pissed me off more than anything, no one eccept my parents will not stop arguing over me saying somehow religious cuss words talk2hand  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:13 am
You know this reminds me.

Oh my Google!

Say it! It's kind of funny...how humans have made something as close to being all-knowing as possible...and it is a search engine.

All hail Googlism!

Sanguvixen

dawnofthelight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:19 am
Well, it's become a habit, especially since these normal phrases have been ingrained into me through socialization when I was smaller and wasn't consciously clear on my religious or not-religious view of the world, so it had affected me, and it might have not as much if I would already have officially established myself as an atheist when I had come to America. So, I've recently been changing these particular phrases, with religious connotation, to this: "Oh my Gosh", "Jeebus Trist", etc.. However, I've never officially changed "Bless you", as one of the phrases, as if I changed it people may not understand what I refer to, and would think I have not socially adequately responded to the situation at hand. But...I've thought about it, and I've said "Gussentight" (sp?) and have recently thought of saying "Excuse you" or, in German, "Entschuldigen Sie", and maybe even "Nature walk with you" as a phrase for common incidents like the unforgettable "achoo!"

Although this may not be relevant, to be funny, when someone asks me what's my name, that pertains to any Christian religious thought, I say "Yahweh" or "I am Who am!" Laugh, and eventually state my real name, real friendly like. Sometimes when someone says "No way!" I say "Yahweh!" Because "Yahweh", as you all should know, is pronounced with the likeness of "Yah Way!" (however, some may not catch it, since they sound virtually the same, if not entirely)

Or, when someone swaps me with religious propaganda in casual conversation or tells "the joy of Christ" or anything like that, I refer to it as a "God poem." I may say "Oh, stop it with your rhetorical and emotionally packaged God poems!" I refer to it as a "God poem" because poems are aesthetically pleasing, emotionally affectionate, but not necessarily representing a true proposition, symbolically or literally, and in the end, don't mean anything in the sense that whatever it may say, or the underlying meaning that what is being said represents, is not automatically or necessarily true although aesthetically pleasing, emotionally packed in the form which it was delivered. I may also call something a "God poem" if it it is irrelevant, irreverent, is not productive or simply intellectually dishonest to the situation at hand. However, it must have a Christian religious connotation (I focus a lot on Christianity because that's what I was mostly fond to when growing up). I also call someone a "Religious Syringe" or "Rs" if they are quick to use divine intervention or invoke the supernatural and religious as an explanation of an emotionally and aesthetically impacting event or thing(s) or constantly classify things as "miracles" although environmental and circumstantial aspects of the event or thing or how that thing was made in such a way may explain them sufficiently; in other words, people who ignore circumstantial and logical explanations of events and obsessively and excessively jump to divine intervention as the cause of this simply because of calculated probability told us a certain out come is most probable yet it happened otherwise or because it is absolutely emotionally and aesthetically impacting to the human conscious; their human conscious. I have many other things I may call people of religious affiliation, especially Christian religious affiliation.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:42 pm
I say most of the stuff that people have already listed. The Usual "God Dammit!" "Bless you" "Oh My God" and such like that. Basically out of habit, though I'm trying to kill that habit. :3

Mule 0_o

Koravin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:30 pm
I use all those phrases. Christians get all upset when I do sometimes, but I figure, when a Christian says "Oh my God," they aren't invoking their god anymore than I am. It's just an expression. Sometimes I say, "Oh your God," because I heart Bender.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:37 am
I say things like "Oh my God!" or "Jesus Christ" all the time. Then again, I have a tendency to curse like a sailor.  

Lunar Falcon

Edi Gammon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:40 am
I don't say either anymore. But it's only obvious when someone around me sneezes. cool  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:53 pm
For me, "Bless you" is something I say out of politeness without any religious strings attached.
"Oh my God!" on the other hand I like to say just so my friend CJ can get a kick out of it.

"Oh your god. What happened to my god?! WHY ARE YOU SO CONDESENDING?!"

I also like saying "Kawrou died for your sins." for you Evangelion fans.

cup_noodles

Sir Grixxly

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:51 pm
I say "omg" and 'god damn it" a lot, I find no religious term behind it.  
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:53 pm
The dinosaurs are returning...

I've made a habit of saying "Epic Fail!" and "Holy crap".

They're just more fun to say.

Since it gets really really boring to sound like everyone else.

...and they want their oil back.

[The Looney Bin]

Kidrahs

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:58 pm
Here are some of my favorite ones to use. You should try these out.

"Crackbaby of christ!"
"Holy Testicle Shiting Rectal Worts, Batman!"
"St.Peter on a Cornflake"
"Liviticus on my a**!"

And, my favorite...

"Jesus H.P. Lovecraft!"

Have a good day, everybody!  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash