Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sword of Truth Guild, For Terry Goodkind Fans!

Back to Guilds

"Choose, then. With us or not. But choose this day for all time." 

Tags: truth, sword, richard, series, goodkind 

Reply The Wizard's Keep Archives (Old Stuff)
Talk Time! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 24 25 26 27 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Phanaridie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:38 pm
LOL
Seriously though. A lot of authors put rape in their books for a very good reason. They try to show that side of the world to those who may be foreign to it. They also try to allow the reader to suffer everything, that way we grow a sense of affinity.

Some authors just add rape to explain the direction our world is heading.

I've put rape in my books before and those were only some of the reasons.

Sometimes, writers do things that they know the reader will hate......that the author hates too. However, in order for the story to end out the right way and seem as though it makes sense, certain events have to happen. Kinda like when you read Harry Potter and they kill his godfather AND his mentor. By that time you're telling Rowling she should burn in hell for such a crime. But the truth is, it had to happen. I knew it was going to happen because if I were writing that book I would've done the same thing.

~Ari  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:06 pm
WOW

I just read this who thing, and I thought it was a tad creepy.

talking about castration is just wrong, it should be forbidden. or just don't say that word infront of men. **shifty eyes**

lol, drowning in the sea of emotion was funny XD.

But yea, I might just stay away from this post for a while, just to clear my head, and get those thoughts *things I read in here* out of my head.

So yeah, BE NICE!  

Brokeded9

Ambyre89

Tipsy Bloodsucker

8,000 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Battle: Level Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:19 pm
brokeded
WOW

I just read this who thing, and I thought it was a tad creepy.

talking about castration is just wrong, it should be forbidden. or just don't say that word infront of men. **shifty eyes**

lol, drowning in the sea of emotion was funny XD.

But yea, I might just stay away from this post for a while, just to clear my head, and get those thoughts *things I read in here* out of my head.

So yeah, BE NICE!

>>
<<
But youre reaction is what I LOVE about saying such things....  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:35 am
*laughs hysterically*
and yes putting something like rape in a book is a good idea.
it can be used to convey how animalistic the bad guys are.
i think TG used it to show us how far ppl that follow the order have gone.
they are this far *holds up fingers barely apart* from beig meat with eyes.
^_^  

Platinum_Behemoth252
Vice Captain

Ambyre89

Tipsy Bloodsucker

8,000 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Battle: Level Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:14 pm
heh, i would love to personally send a few of them through a wood chipper.... or grind their manly goodies bewteen millstone... take your pick.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:18 pm
The Order and the Blood of the Fold make me think the Spanish Inquisition. I'm sure that Goodkind wanted that, but he did such a good job at showing it.
Well, the Blood's more like the Inquisition and the Order is more like the Nazi party. I swear, this book BLEEDS the horrors of genocide and communism.  

Phanaridie

Platinum_Behemoth252
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:57 pm
Phanari
The Order and the Blood of the Fold make me think the Spanish Inquisition. I'm sure that Goodkind wanted that, but he did such a good job at showing it.
Well, the Blood's more like the Inquisition and the Order is more like the Nazi party. I swear, this book BLEEDS the horrors of genocide and communism.

which allows us to make a connection with the ppl and gives them a more realistic feel to them. when your able to relate something to something else you gain a better prespective on its origin and workings. In a sense it makes the book more "real".  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:51 pm
Platinum_Behemoth252
Phanari

which allows us to make a connection with the ppl and gives them a more realistic feel to them. when your able to relate something to something else you gain a better prespective on its origin and workings. In a sense it makes the book more "real".

And even though an author's purpose in writing fantasy is to provide an escape from reality, if they can't make the story relate to the reader in any sense, it makes it difficult for the reader to understand the book, and so they end up spending so much time trying to understand that they can't enjoy it, which destroys the purpose of the book in the first place.  

Phanaridie

Platinum_Behemoth252
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:43 am
Phanari
Platinum_Behemoth252
Phanari

And even though an author's purpose in writing fantasy is to provide an escape from reality, if they can't make the story relate to the reader in any sense, it makes it difficult for the reader to understand the book, and so they end up spending so much time trying to understand that they can't enjoy it, which destroys the purpose of the book in the first place.

YAY SMART PERSON!!!!!!!!!
*huggles you*  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:44 pm
::huggles back:: YAY! SOMEONE WHO GIVES A CRAP ABOUT LITERARY ANALYSIS/DISCUSSION!!!  

Phanaridie

Platinum_Behemoth252
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:16 pm
Phanari
::huggles back:: YAY! SOMEONE WHO GIVES A CRAP ABOUT LITERARY ANALYSIS/DISCUSSION!!!

*laughs hysterically*
yes i am a writer and a D&D DM....i enjoy creating indepth stories with realistic characters that make you feel an attachement to them.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:41 pm
I'm a writer of fantasy epics. I try to write short stories (that I end up hating) and they get published into mags from time to time, but other than that, I've only had one book published. But, hey, it's a good start for someone my age.
My freshman English teacher taught me what literary analysis was really like and since my experience with her, I can't read a book without thinking about themes, and allusion and all that great stuff. It makes me good at writing fanfics too. ^_~

One mistake many authors make is that create characters that are too perfect. Too wise, too strong, too cunning, yada yada yada. Like in Dune. Until that man became corrupt, I was screaming at the author. But that's just me.

I like it when they make mistakes, when they show their human side and don't always do what they should, and choose instead to do what they want.  

Phanaridie

Platinum_Behemoth252
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:58 am
Phanari
I'm a writer of fantasy epics. I try to write short stories (that I end up hating) and they get published into mags from time to time, but other than that, I've only had one book published. But, hey, it's a good start for someone my age.
My freshman English teacher taught me what literary analysis was really like and since my experience with her, I can't read a book without thinking about themes, and allusion and all that great stuff. It makes me good at writing fanfics too. ^_~

One mistake many authors make is that create characters that are too perfect. Too wise, too strong, too cunning, yada yada yada. Like in Dune. Until that man became corrupt, I was screaming at the author. But that's just me.

I like it when they make mistakes, when they show their human side and don't always do what they should, and choose instead to do what they want.

yes thats like my series i have in the planning stage "A Begining, An End". It is based on a D&D campaign of myne that lasted for almost 3 years*i said i liked indepth stories that made you feel an attachment, try playing the same character for 3 years of your life. you learn alot about them and definately grow attached*, loosely now of course, and in the begining one character Magnus Wyrmbane*dont know if im gonna keep that name* starts out as this evil mage and then he delves all the way into the dark arts and becomes a vampiric lich and you think he is completely evil but then he falls in love and has a family.....dont know if im gonna keep that storyline or even make him a lich/vampire i may jst keep him a mage. still dont know yet cause like i said its still in the planning stages.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:50 pm
In History of the Lian future, all the characters have been in the developing stage for years. The main character, Phanari has been worked on since I was in grade 8 and I'm in college now, so you do the math.
I give all my characters a lot of care and time. I care for them and they allow me to use them for my stories. To me, they might as well be alive and tangible.  

Phanaridie

Platinum_Behemoth252
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:30 pm
Phanari
In History of the Lian future, all the characters have been in the developing stage for years. The main character, Phanari has been worked on since I was in grade 8 and I'm in college now, so you do the math.
I give all my characters a lot of care and time. I care for them and they allow me to use them for my stories. To me, they might as well be alive and tangible.

heart I LOVE YOU! heart
finally someone that understands my drive for greatness in my characters.
to reflect the detail of a grand story you must first detail the characters.
*huggles you*  
The Wizard's Keep Archives (Old Stuff)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 24 25 26 27 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces