Welcome to Gaia! ::

Numenore - A LOTR Community

Back to Guilds

Tags: Lotr, Tolkien 

Reply Mittalmar - Original Archives
The Silmarillion: A Group Reading [update 4.12.05] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Falathrim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:21 pm
Well, except I don't remember the published version in crystalline detail. Honestly, it's been so long since I read the actual Silmarillion and not the texts Chris based the published Silmarillion on I get the two confused.

*sweat*

I'll skim the 'real' stuff tomorrow.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:41 pm
Skimming is good.

Yeah, that "crystalline detail" part was my attempt at irony, but the bloody forum's so damn text based...

Ok, that was another one. I should really think about getting some sleep before I lose... thinking...stuff... more.  

Nimbrethil

Falathrim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:58 pm
Oh, I know you weren't being serious, don't worry.

Don't worry. You've only lost some thinking... stuff... whatever.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:02 am
Sorry I haven't been posting here, but I'm currently in the midst of exams and I don't have any time for leisure reading. Ignore the fact that I'm on Gaia, this is my break from exams. But yeah, during the past week I've been working on crap and studying and whatnot. Hem. So when exams end (Tuesday) I'll be back in with this ^__^;;  

Zurgi

Thaxul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:55 am
You better, Zurgi!  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:13 am
So I said I'd read the Silmarillion, but instead I read ahead in Morgy's Ring.

Morgoth is just too awesome for words. I'll need to quote him when we get to the Darkening of Valinor.  

Falathrim

Imyavie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:47 pm
*raises hand* Hi..sorry I am a little bit late.

Anyways, I really liked reading about the two trees of Valinor. I liked how they were described. These chapters had lots of information, but I don't really have anything else to comment on ^^;  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:24 pm
Fal: Quoting Morgoth from Morgoth's Ring? About the Darkening? Nice. (Ooh, that's next week, too.)

Ok, so I haven't eaten since breakfast, I've had about 4 hours sleep, and I just got off work. Let's see how lucid I can be.

Of the Coming of the Elves and the Captivity of Melkor

The Valar are worse procratinators than I am. Way to wait beyond the deadline to do something about Melkor. Question, though: if they were afraid to take Melkor out after the lamp-smashing for fear of rending the earth too much, then why was it a better situation way later, when he was even more deeply entrenched and they had to worry about the newly awakened Elves?

It's also interesting to think about the evitability of any Elves coming to Valinor. Would have been quite a different story.

Of Thingol and Melian

Weirdest. Couple. Ever.

Ok, maybe not. But I fail to see what their relationship is based on. (Yeah, yeah, deep and sacred and blessed love. I know.)

Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Eldalie

I really like the descriptions of how beautiful the dwelling places of the Eldar were. Especially the jewel-strewn beaches of Eldamar. And the golden streets and crystal stairs, which might in the wrong hands be very tacky and ostentatious, but I'm sure those words would never apply to anything crafted by those who dwell in Valinor.  

Nimbrethil

Elainya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:58 am
I don't really have a comment on the other chapters in this group yet, but I have on on Of Thingol and Melian. It seems almost like it was based on the poem The Faerie Queen. She captures him, brings him into her domain, where he must then live there with her forever, mwahaha!! I mean, how desperate was Melian for a guy anyway? At least they liked each other. Now that would have been embarassing. 200 years later, they're throwing stuff at each other. Little Luthien's going, 'why are mommy and daddy fighting?'  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:52 pm
OF THE COMING OF THE ELVES

Quote that is funny when read incorrectly
...and he spoke of the shadows that troubled Cuivienen. Then the Valar rejoiced...

Stupid Valar.

So, Manwe FINALLY gets his a** in gear and throws Melkor down. Several centuries from now, Eru will tell Manwe that he was an idiot for not doing it sooner. The general gist is that Eru was incredulous that the Valar didn't have estel in Eru, that Eru would not allow the breaking of Arda in the battle. Had they gone to war, Melkor would have been thrown down, Arda would be protected, and things would have been generally better for the rest of history. But stupid Manwe and stupid Valar were to worried about their own little paradise, paying no heed to the ever growing kingdom of Melkor the Morgoth...

Stupid Valar.

More Quotey Goodness!
From this summons came many woes that afterwards befell.

In the Converse of Manwe and Eru, it's kind of obvious that Eru didn't exactly support the summons. Stupid Valar.

It should ne noted that the published Silmarilliont doesn't really touch on the debate of the Eldar and the Avari. It was a loooong one, from what Quendi and Eldar says. Speaking of Quendil and Eldar... if any of oyu ever get a chance, flip to the appendixes. The Tale of the Awakening of the Elves can be found within. Quite interesting...

One last thing. You wouldn't believe how long it was before Tolkien decided Balrogs were Maiar. Geeze....

OF THINGOL AND MELIAN

Ummm....

Well, hardly relevant to this chapter, but I despite not having read Chris's published Silmarillion in about a year, I can still recognize these lines. 'Cuz I read Morgy's Ring and the texts published Sil was pulled from last week!

Stuff in Morgy's Ring is better.

OF ELDAMAR AND THE PRINCES OF ELDALIE

So the Vanyar and the Noldor build this awesome city in the Calacirya. Then, next year, the Vanyar ditch it for some less beautiful palace on the western slopes of Taniquetil. I bet Ingwe is only High King because he suckered up to Manwe.

Stupid Vanyar.

So, Cirdan and some amongt his host, having spent years looking for Elwe, finally make it to the Belegaer after even the Teleri are gone. He wants to go on to Aman. And what do the Valar tell him? No, you stay in Middle-earth! Literally. They wouldn't let him build his own ship, nor would they come and pick him up.

Hypocritical bastards.

Orodreth. Early on in the development of the mythology, he was more important than Finrod Felagund. Hell, Orodreth was conceived long before Finrod was. How did you do against the strands of time? Why, he was reduced in character so much that he became completely incapable of any serious kingship-ness later on. Poor Orodreth. Eventually, it was decided that he was just too inferior to everyone else to be the son of Finarfin. So, he is instead the son Angrod.

Poor Orodreth. razz

Pretty pictures in my version of the Silmarillion. I laugh at those of you who can't see them.

HAH!

And that, as they say, is that.

...dammit, I forgot to look for my favorite quote in this chapter. Oh well.  

Falathrim

Falathrim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:41 am
Nimbrethil
Of the Coming of the Elves and the Captivity of Melkor

The Valar are worse procratinators than I am. Way to wait beyond the deadline to do something about Melkor. Question, though: if they were afraid to take Melkor out after the lamp-smashing for fear of rending the earth too much, then why was it a better situation way later, when he was even more deeply entrenched and they had to worry about the newly awakened Elves?

It's also interesting to think about the evitability of any Elves coming to Valinor. Would have been quite a different story.

Do the Valar ever act rationally?

Yes? Shut up. They didn't this time.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:06 pm
Falathrim
Do the Valar ever act rationally?

Yes? Shut up. They didn't this time.

I'm going to have to start looking for ways to defend their actions. You and your hate-mongering have got me noticing all the bad things. For shame. wink  

Nimbrethil

Glorfirith Annun
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:33 pm
YAY I'm finally caught up!

My favourite chapter was Of Thingol and Melian because it was shortest.

That of course is a lie but it sounded good...

Am I the only Manwe loyalist here? I love the Valar and despise Melkor, isn't that the way it should be? Stupid Falathrim and his calling the Valar jerks... ok I feel better now.

So on to my biggest thought in all of my reading this night. Where is Cuivienen on a map!? It has been bothering me since I first read the Silmarillion... what, two years ago? So then I go to Falathrim. He is my god, he knows all. At least I've only asked him a couple things he couldn't answer. And he drew me a pretty map and pointed out a big pink blob named Cuivienen and I was happy! See, who needs Tolkien? We just have to go to Falathrim... (hey, he's better than nothing *pops his big head*)  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:51 pm
Yes, that's the way it should be, Glorfirith. Unfortunately, Manwe didn't do a very good job playing good guy. And Melkor has all the best lines, as will be evidenced by my Melkor quote next week.  

Falathrim

Melian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:01 pm
Elainya
.. At least they liked each other. Now that would have been embarassing. 200 years later, they're throwing stuff at each other. Little Luthien's going, 'why are mommy and daddy fighting?'

xd

Of Thingol and Melian is the only chapter I remember from those listed. (It's two pages long, of course I can remember that much. sweatdrop ) I need to reread the other ones. But I didn't really like the meeting of them too much. It needed something ..more to it. Just standing there staring at each other for a few hundred years is boring. xp  
Mittalmar - Original Archives

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff