Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lord Eydvar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:39 pm
Wings
Lord Eydvar
Septomor
Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C# minor

Although there are two great stave's going on at the same time, the same rule applies to both stave's. Personally I'm not sure why he did this, it was possible to write it all on one staff *shurg*

First off the reason he did that is to show which notes the ped markings are following. also it makes it easier if someone wanted to say play it as a duet.

I don't think it's a case of clarifying the pedal markings, because the rhythm is exactly the same in both systems. It's probably more of a case of avoiding numerous clef changes and ledger lines--the two systems is a lot easier to read than if you would cram everything onto one.

Lord Eydvar
One quick question. So how strong is anybodys reading skill?
I mean i read sheet music as fluently as i read english. i actually can read all of those clefs listed at the beginning.

Piano players rarely have to deal with anything other than treble and bass clef...although if you're doing collaborative piano or playing for choirs, knowledge of alto, tenor and the octave tenor clef would come in handy.

That said, I'm a little weak on reading alto and tenor since they don't come up often, but I manage fine on treble, bass and octave tenor.

The only reason i can read those is because i compose and i needed to learn tenor so i could write for viola. I had to learn to read Soprano clef because for some crazy reason i've got a downloaded old (mid 1800's)copy of Bach's Notebook for Anna Magdelena Bach and its written for Harpsichord using Soprano and Bass. And i'd agree about the thing above with ledger line as such. It also makes it much easier to read and break apart then having those C# octaves mixed in with the other parts.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:06 am
Lord Eydvar
The only reason i can read those is because i compose and i needed to learn tenor so i could write for viola. I had to learn to read Soprano clef because for some crazy reason i've got a downloaded old (mid 1800's)copy of Bach's Notebook for Anna Magdelena Bach and its written for Harpsichord using Soprano and Bass. And i'd agree about the thing above with ledger line as such. It also makes it much easier to read and break apart then having those C# octaves mixed in with the other parts.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'd once been looking up scores for harpsichord, and I came across a Frescobaldi facsimile that didn't even notate on the regular 5-line staff we're used to. It took me the longest time to figure out how to read it properly, and I'm immensely glad I found another performance edition afterwards. XD  

Wings

Invisible Fairy

Lord Eydvar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:38 pm
Wings
Lord Eydvar

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'd once been looking up scores for harpsichord, and I came across a Frescobaldi facsimile that didn't even notate on the regular 5-line staff we're used to. It took me the longest time to figure out how to read it properly, and I'm immensely glad I found another performance edition afterwards. XD

Yeah there are some strange notations out there. I've even seen one that was written as a circle with notes stacked in line going from the outer edge to the middle. IDK if anyone but the guy who used it can even read it anymore.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:48 am
I play the piano but I need refresher courses because of the fact that do to the lack of funds I haven't played since 2005. Please help me.  

HellKat24

3,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Friendly 100

moosiklady

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:44 am
I'd pick up an adult or older beginner method (Piano Adventures is my favorite to use with my students) if you don't need to go back the beginning, pick up the level you think you'll be able to start at. Or just rework your old music, but be PATIENT with yourself! You will not automatically be able to play everything at the speed you used to....but it will come back, it just takes PRACTICE.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:12 am
HellKat24: If you weren't at the beginner levels when you stopped, reworking your old music is a good idea, as moosiklady suggested. If you find that too difficult, then look up pieces a level or two easier than those and work your way up from there. Definitely do some technical exercises, like scales, chords, etc. They may be dry, but they're great warm ups. Keep playing everyday, or as often as you can, since it's more than likely your joints would feel a bit stiff after not playing for several years.

Good luck!  

Wings

Invisible Fairy

Musical_s7aV3

3,800 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:28 am
Hello, all..

My name's Alice. I'm kind of new here, but I am an (amateur) piano player. I initially took beginner's lessons a couple of years ago, and I always mean to get back into practice, but I never do. :/

I like playing piano, though, and I was pretty good at it for a beginner. I'd never have a career at it or anything, but I'd at least like to get proficient...  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:14 pm
Septomor
It's either I say. But seeing as it can't be played without the strings, and you can kick the strings to make them work, I say it's more a string.
I'd say its more of a percusion because without the hammers hitting the strings there wouldnt be any noice.....But im just stating my opinion biggrin  

Celestial Bride

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,650 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Generous 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Celestial Bride

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,650 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Generous 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:19 pm
hello my name is alice but please call me allie i play piano though i am a work in progress I Love Piano solo and or classic the sound of a piano is beautiful to me music is my muse thanks for your time....  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:05 am
Hi smile My name is Susan. I play the piano for 8 years. I started playing the piano when i was eight years old. Now I'm 16 and I finished music school two years ago. My favorite composer is Chopin, but I like to play songs from the anime and drama. With modern composers I like Yann Tiersen and Michael Nyman (:
Hm...I don't know what else I could write about myself.

Rock n Roll_Monster

2,550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Rose Hathaway10116

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:03 pm
Been playing piano for 9 years. I also play clarinet, flute, and violin, but I'm strongest as a pianist. I'm taking my grade 10 exam soon and I will be moving on to ARCT. I really enjoy playing Chopin and Debussy. They are my favourite composers simply because of their style. I love how Chopin has great lyrical melodies with a wide stretched bass, and I love how Debussy implies Impressionism and the right amount of dissonance in his music.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:16 pm
Hey, I'm Alexandra. I've played piano about 9 years. I'm trying to do the advanced Bach program for guild. Anybody else familiar with the program??  

SingingSelkie

AyolLovesYou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:24 pm
Hi I'm Jessica, I've been playing piano for five years also been singing for... I don't know how long. So yeah I'm kind of a musician. For those of you who played more than me don't judge okay? Anyways i started playing piano when I was in first grade I'm not going to tell you what grade I'm on now because it's going to be embarassing. Also I plan to go to Fountain View academy in Canada. That's my music life biggrin  
Instruments and Vocals

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff