Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
So, why are you unafraid of dying? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 14 15 16 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

iviary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:23 pm
Muaethia
I take comfort in knowing nothing about what will happen after death.

In life you think about life, you can think about death when you're dead.

I would hate to be immortal- everyone you ever loved and cared about die, and you have to keep living, alone...

Humans are generally afraid of the unknown, but the way I see it is that if you don't know what's gonig to happen to you, then you don't have to worry about it.

If that makes sense...

I'd rather know that something positive will happen, than know nothing at all.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:33 am
iviary
Muaethia

I would hate to be immortal- everyone you ever loved and cared about die, and you have to keep living, alone...

Humans are generally afraid of the unknown, but the way I see it is that if you don't know what's gonig to happen to you, then you don't have to worry about it.

If that makes sense...

I can see where you're coming from, but as there is no way of knowing for certain, it's kind of wishful thinking.  

Muaethia

iviary

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:31 pm
Muaethia
iviary
Muaethia

If that makes sense...

I can see where you're coming from, but as there is no way of knowing for certain, it's kind of wishful thinking.

True, true. And I don't possess enough wishful thinking to convince myself that it's possible to know. My best guess is that nothing happens -that we are just no more-, but like I said, we can't know.  
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:12 pm
Without death there'd be no reson to live.  

HellMary

Muaethia

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:09 am
HellMary
Without death there'd be no reson to live.

But what, then, is the reason for death?

And yeah, immortality would be awful.

But there's no reason to live anyway, except for perhaps making other peoples' lives a bit more bearable, happier even.

After all, we're all stuck here on earth at present.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:17 pm
Someone one told me a quote they had heard,

"I am not afraid of death, I am afraid of not living."

Think about that one for a moment. People tell me all the time, "Death and not living are the same thing." In fact, they are not. I see death as when your body physically dies (heart stops, no brain activity, no breathing... flat line.). You can be alive and not live.

So many people concentrate on what will happen when they die, that their lives become meaningless. They concentrate SO much on death and become afraid of it, that they no longer do anything, less they die and their fears become a reality.

The way I see it, you live once, so live it to the fullest. As someone else once said,

"The day you are born is they day that you begin to die."

Note: I do not know the source of these quotes.

Yami_Ichi

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:01 pm
Yami_Ichi
The way I see it, you live once, so live it to the fullest. As someone else once said,

I see that as a kind of defeatist attitude that suggests that death is necessary for life. Death is just another thing, like breathing and respiring, that mankind can eliminate if we set our collective minds to it. Not that we would, or should, but death is entirely conquerable. To paraphrase, the day you are born is the day you begin to die, for now.

Okay, I know how extroardinarily lame this is, but this is a quote from Star Trek: Generations that sums it up quite well, methinks. The captain of the ship, going through the wreckage of the bridge (...yeah, the ship crashed...) says, "Someone [the misguided antagonist] once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived. After all, Number One, we're only mortal." To this, the first officer ("Number One") jokingly replies, "Speak for yourself, sir; I plan to live forever."

OK, I know it's lame, but I think he's right.  
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:12 pm
DivideByZero14
Yami_Ichi

I see that as a kind of defeatist attitude that suggests that death is necessary for life. Death is just another thing, like breathing and respiring, that mankind can eliminate if we set our collective minds to it. Not that we would, or should, but death is entirely conquerable. To paraphrase, the day you are born is the day you begin to die, for now.

Okay, I know how extroardinarily lame this is, but this is a quote from Star Trek: Generations that sums it up quite well, methinks. The captain of the ship, going through the wreckage of the bridge (...yeah, the ship crashed...) says, "Someone [the misguided antagonist] once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived. After all, Number One, we're only mortal." To this, the first officer ("Number One") jokingly replies, "Speak for yourself, sir; I plan to live forever."

OK, I know it's lame, but I think he's right.

I was watching this obscure 'time' programme on BBC4 (yeah, I was bored, k?) and it was going on about ageing. Apparently it's something to do with your genes becoming damaged, causing cancers and illnesses etc as well as the body physically becoming worn out as you get older.

But these was this weird thing about humans not actually being genetically designed to die. We do die, but it's not actually written in our genes like practically all of the other stuff that makes us human is.

I was like eek

But what can that actually mean?

Muaethia

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:49 pm
Muaethia
But what can that actually mean?

It means that there was no evolutionary advantage of being set up to die. It also means that it wasn't enough of an evolutionary advantage to have the systems within us to maintain our bodies for a long time.

It's just like a car. While the makers didn't put a bomb under the hood that will go off after 10,000 miles, it wasn't worth the time to come up with a way to keep it working forever.  
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:49 pm
I'm not afraid of death because I believe life and death just go together. All life is created from death, and things have to die in order to there to be life. The universe is just made to eat itself up that way. What you are in life, and how long you exist in one form is rather arbitrary in a universe that goes on for on for trillions upon trillions upon trillions...

My idea of an afterlife is that after life, you are broken down and remade to others. Rocks, animals, plants... they're all from the same bundle of atoms after all.
Maybe as proud humans we find that indignant... so we cling to the idea that we might keep our present form forever... and oh, God made us in His imagine after all, right? rolleyes

What I do find scary is the idea that I might not ever die. The thought of being in pain and hooked up to medical devices in a hospital for years is just freaks me out. Especially if I couldn't speak or make it stop.. (ala Terry Schiavo). That could just mean I'm a wimp from another angle though... ? ninja  

Maryhl

Shy Werewolf

Muaethia

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:09 pm
Kagerou Osajima
My idea of an afterlife is that after life, you are broken down and remade to others. Rocks, animals, plants... they're all from the same bundle of atoms after all.

whee

Have you read the His Dark Materials trillogy by Phillip Pullman? I don't like the way it is branded a 'children's' or 'teenager's' book, as it can be read on so many levels.

That just sounded like one of the ideas in there.

It's well worth a read. They kill God xd

Only it's not as blunt as that.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:25 pm
Muaethia
Have you read the His Dark Materials trillogy by Phillip Pullman? I don't like the way it is branded a 'children's' or 'teenager's' book, as it can be read on so many levels.

Haven't heard of it. But could look it up. Danke. whee  

Maryhl

Shy Werewolf

iviary

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:35 pm
Kagerou Osajima
Muaethia

Haven't heard of it. But could look it up. Danke. whee

Do. It's quite good. And dark. ^^  
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:13 pm
I have no fear of dying whatsoever. When I die, I die, that's great. I can't do anything about it, it's inevitable. It's like saying, "I'm not going to pour myself a glass of water, because it's going to be gone later." Well duh it's going to be gone later. Nothing lasts forever unfortunately.

Not to mention that I remember one of my past lives, and I wasn't afraid of death then either. I don't see a point. I believe in Reincarnation, by the by if you haven't noticed.  

Kaioke

Copper Forrest

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:38 pm
I don't fear dying because...

I don't have to worry about being judged worthy by some being who contradicts him/her/it/self

I don't have to worry about burning in hell, hangin in purgatory or whatever

I'll never truly die. Atoms are ageless. I'll become part of the earth and regenerate. Maybe i'll even help grow a tree.

I accept responsibility to live my life as fully and responsibly as I am able to, right now. 70-80 years of those high standards is enough, thanks.

I just don't.

cool Q tho

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 14 15 16 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas