Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkle Motion - JULY 2012 - ON SUMMER BREAK

Back to Guilds

For Socialites, Fashionista's, and the generally Fabulous. 

Tags: Beauty, Learning, Fashion, Tutorials, Cooking 

Reply Entertainment Talk - Music - Books - Electronics - Movies - TV - Fan Rant & MORE!
✧The Book Room ✧ Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Books

✧✧
  ✧✧✧
View Results

xena91388
Vice Captain

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:52 pm
I recently read Tamora Pierce's latest book: "Mastiff" continuing in the Beka Cooper trilogy and IT SUCKED!

I can't believe how much this book disappointed me! It felt so half-assed and rushed like Pierce was suddenly forced to finish it at the last minute or something.

*** Spoilers ***
(But not too many, just enough for my rant)

The book starts with Beka at a funeral for her fiance and right there I'm already thinking "What the hell?" Beka's fiance is some random nobody Dog we've never heard of before and their romance is never elaborated on other than a couple sentences scattered here and there throughout the book. Beka herself feels no loss over him and his death does not affect anyone actions or decisions so really the entire first chapter describing the funeral and such is nothing but a complete waste of time! Plus from the description on the cover of the book and the description of her fiance's death, it seems like his death was going to be a catalyst or key point in a grander scheme but it's not! it was just a pointless random death. I bet he was wearing a red uniform when it happened too!

After the funeral, Beka and Tunstall go on a mission that takes them out of the city (and from then on none of her friends will ever be mentioned again) and Pounce goes with her this time and I absolutely hate this because even though he's constantly mentioning he "can't interfere with the mortals" that is exactly what he keeps doing throughout the entire book! He's a complete Deus ex machina! Every time they come to a dead end, need to spy one someone, struggle with unruly animals, etc, Pounce magically makes it all better. He even brings a dead main character back to life! (after we mourn for a couple paragraphs of course instead of healing that character right away or preventing the injury in the first place considering he was right there!)

Then Pierce threw in a new character, a mage Dog named Farmer and I wouldn't have a problem with him if he wasn't such a freaking Gary Stu! He's supposed to be "normal" or "average" for a mage in terms of power and yet he is able to defeat very powerful mages. How, you ask? because he has the super rare, never heard of, "impossible" ability to store and use "magical scraps" that other mages leave behind and he stores it all in a "magic scroll" that he wraps in wax and stores in his butt (not even kidding, Peirce even writes a scene where he "retrieves" it to escape a dungeon). Plus, all the great mage fight scenes happen entirely "off screen" so we never get a good description of any of his "fantastic" battles. He seems to finish his fights in stellar condition too, he probably has enough "Gary-Stu Mary-Sue" magic to conquer the kingdom. What I hate most about him is the sudden romance between him and Beka. In the previous two books, Terrier and Bloodhound, when Beka felt attraction to another character, Pierce wrote in how it affected her from making her blush to making her "peaches feel tight". and the romance came on completely believably. In Mastiff, Beka goes from feeling completely annoyed with Farmer to suddenly professing her love for him and demanding they get married as soon as the mission is over.

Then there is the ending itself. It felt so completely rushed and cut off! We get never hear how the prince recovered from his ordeal, how her friend's reacted to the news of what she did or the news of her new fiance (especially poor Rosto), how the other Dogs felt about her getting married less than a month of burying her old fiance who was one of them. Then there is the thing with Tunstall, Peirce never really gave a good reason for him. Sure, he said he felt not good enough after he was found out, and Beka mentioned in one short sentence that he had been getting flak for his status, be why couldn't Pierce just include one little scene where he gets angered or humiliated for his status in a way that we can "see" it for ourselves? That would make the ending much more believable and satisfying.

My final grief with the book was that fact roughly 80% of the book deals with the chase which is rather boring. Nearly the entire book is simply about Beka following Achoo through open country and her conversations between her party which is just Farmer, Tunstall, Tunstall's girlfriend knight Sabine, and Pounce. The only action in the entire book is at the very end and only Beka's fight is described an it doesn't last very long. There are so many parts in this book where it seems like a more complex and darker story is going to take place only for either something simple and stupid to solve it one page later in a very anticlimactic way or it gets dropped and never mentioned again.

Side note: The title of this book alone is a major let down. It is a huge misnomer and very misleading to it's contents! There is nothing "mastiff" about this book! In the first book, Beka earns the name "Terrier" by being a terrier, vicious and never giving up. In the second book, Beka earns the name "Bloodhound" by sniffing out the colemongers. In this book, Beka earns the name "Mastiff" by following her target's scent all over the country and retrieving him. . . . For those of you who don't know, a mastiff is a huge dog (weighing in at around 150-250lbs) that was used for guarding and fighting in wars, never hunting or retrieving. Beka never does anything even remotely similar to a mastiff in this book.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:14 pm
Know all those ads for book Gaia's been having? Remember the one with the fallen angels called Fallen by Lauren Kate? Finally bought the book for myself and read it within a few days. Definitely teen-centric, but the characters are fun to read about and there's several interesting twists as more questions get answered throughout the book. So far there are 3 books in the series if memory serves.
I'm now almost finished with book one of The Hunger Games. LOVE IT! Much fun as I had reading Fallen, may end up getting book 2 and 3 of The Hunger Games before I get the rest of the Fallen series.

Oldies but goodies that I've enjoyed: Jane Eyre, Dragonriders of Pern, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, and I have a decent collection of Manga including DNAngel, XXXHOlic, and newer manga I have are Blue Exorcist, Ultimo (STAN LEE'S MANGA, need I say more?) and Fairy Tail.  

SeaJewel

Mega Nerd

10,025 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200

xena91388
Vice Captain

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:26 am
Seems like everything's going manga these days. There's a manga for Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Cirque du Freak, CSI, and even X-men which is already a comic with graphic novels! *The X-men manga sucks btw. It's like a rip-off of Host Club but with more cheese, less comedy, and terrible character designs*

SeaJewel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:29 pm
xena91388

Wow, really? I've mostly seen graphic novels for a bunch of romance series like Twilight, Vampire Academy, and the Dark Hunters. A shame about the X-Men one, I love classic X-Men (especially when Deadpool's involved). At least when I flipped through the CSI manga in the store it seemed interesting and had fairly developed characters.  

SeaJewel

Mega Nerd

10,025 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200

xena91388
Vice Captain

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:23 pm
*** Image heavy post***

The CSI manga was pretty good, I wish they had it in my library so I could read it fully ^_^ The Maximum Ride manga was kind of bland though, they are trying to pack too much into a few images. I haven't actually seen the Artemis Fowl manga yet but I have read Cirque du Freak and it seems pretty funny if a little on the kiddie side and even though it was rather short, a regular manga volume size, it managed to capture everything in the first book so I'm guessing the the series will be only 1-2 volumes per book.

Now X-men. STAY AWAY! STAY FAR AWAY!! You sound like an oldbie fan like me (I grew up loving the Fox cartoon ^_^) so you do NOT want to be anywhere near this comic! Especially if you are a fan of Beast. Poor, poor Beast emo The premis of this manga is that Kitty is the only female student in a school full of boys: (the people on the cover are Kitty Pride, Bobby Drake, and the pyro guy) ((The creepy ***** looking guy is Magneto)

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

SeaJewel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:06 am
xena91388

eek Adkfj2934(&*^%!!!! They turned Beast into the CHARMIN TOILET PAPER BEAR? crying  

SeaJewel

Mega Nerd

10,025 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200

Sassy Spider

7,650 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:01 pm
........WTF?!?! They turned the Xavier Institute into a reverse harem school!! D<
WTF IS UP WITH THESE PEOPLE?!?!Dx  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:30 pm
I've been reading some classics(and old books) and stuff like that and I defiantly recommend the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The three musketeers, The phantom of the opera, The wizard of Oz (I never read it as a kid >.<), a collection of Grimm's fairy tales and a poetry book by Edger Allen Poe. And some new ones The Wicked series,Hunger Games and more I don't remember >.<  

Headmistress of Gallifrey

Distinct Businesswoman

3,300 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Signature Look 250

xena91388
Vice Captain

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:23 am
SeaJewel
xena91388

eek Adkfj2934(&*^%!!!! They turned Beast into the CHARMIN TOILET PAPER BEAR? crying

I think he's supposed to be some kind of badger/wolverine hybrid. With the short, fiery temper he portrayed in the first novel and a noticeable lack of Logan, I have this horrible, horrible suspicious feeling that he's filling in for both Beast and Wolverine gonk

Sassy Spider
........WTF?!?! They turned the Xavier Institute into a reverse harem school!! D<
WTF IS UP WITH THESE PEOPLE?!?!Dx

Could be worse. They could more directly copy Ouran and have everyone believe Kitty is a boy and still be in love with her or turn Kitty and Magneto's canon borderline father/daughter feelings into some kind of twisted teacher/student lust that seems to be very popular in Japan (they hint at it with the way he kisses her hand).

19a2aimee
I've been reading some classics(and old books) and stuff like that and I defiantly recommend the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The three musketeers, The phantom of the opera, The wizard of Oz (I never read it as a kid >.<), a collection of Grimm's fairy tales and a poetry book by Edger Allen Poe. And some new ones The Wicked series,Hunger Games and more I don't remember >.<

Here, here! Always love the classics. I'm a true nerd-tard for the very old Grimm stories and folk tales. I used to love all the Sherlock Holmes stories and it's Basil of Baker Street spin-off but both have been forever ruined for me by the masterpiece know as Sherlock[/i]. whee  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:11 am
The most recent book I completed reading was Picking Cotton, which I recommend to older readers (ages 16 and up because it deals with a real-life rape case). It's very well written, switching narratives between Jennifer Thompson-Cannino (the victim) and Ronald Cotton (the man who was wrongly imprisoned for eleven years because she mistook him for the rapist). My favorite thing about it is the fact that Ronald didn't hold a grudge against Jennifer for making a terrible mistake, and they went on to become friends.
The reason I knew about this book is because it was suggested reading for freshmen at my university, and I don't regret reading it.  

Alucard Belmont Reborn

Magnetic Entrepreneur

13,075 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

1_happy sparkle_1

Thieving Prophet

5,950 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:48 pm
You guys should definitely read The Faerie Path series by Frewin Jones. It's a fantasy and it is really amazing. It's 6 books in all. I'll list the titles of the 6 books:
~#1 The Faerie Path
~#2 The Lost Queen
~#3 The Sorcerer King or The Seventh Daughter *It has two different titles, but still the same book*
~#4 The Immortal Realm
~#5 The Enchanted Quest
~#6 The Charmed Return

I HIGHLY recommend these books. I am so in love with them heart X3  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:38 pm
I recently picked up a couple new books, namely Chang & Eng (a biography on two Siamese twins) a copy of Macbeth (my favorite Shakespeare play), and Fifty-Thousand Shades of Grey (a prank book that is literally the phrase "Shades of Grey" written fifty thousand times).  

Alucard Belmont Reborn

Magnetic Entrepreneur

13,075 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Lady Aryana of the Seelie

Blessed Lover

7,800 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:45 pm
Bloodlines: The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead
The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

The first I've been meaning to read and I enjoy it as much as I enjoyed Mead's Vampire Academy

However... I am reading ever single Dresden book I can get my hands on. I love them! I definitely recommend for any Magic/Mystery/Detective/Wizard books. XD They are awesome.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:39 pm
Recently I picked up the fifth book of the SOIAF. I just wanted to add it to my collection..
I'll read it when im ready >.<

S e r i o u s - O c e a n

Golden Fatcat

13,425 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Entertainment Talk - Music - Books - Electronics - Movies - TV - Fan Rant & MORE!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games